• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

share your story

forrestfire

Smash Rookie
with development on pm ceased i wanted people to take a look on how far we've come, this amazing community made mod came out roughly 4-5 years ago and we've grown right alongside it as players and fans. So i ask anyone who manages to look at this thread, whether your a former pmdt, a big name in the community, or a relatively unknown/newcomer. Share your story, how you discovered project m, and what made you wanna stick with it throughout the years,

i suppose i'll share my own story to start

back in 2012 i took a programming class my jr year in high school, at that time i only knew smash as a casual game, played any version throughout my childhood but i definitely played brawl the most. (almost nonstop with my casual friends off and on for 3 years) one day i was goofing off in the back and came across the ign article for demo 2.0 and thought it looked insane, told my buddy about it and as soon as i got home i downloaded it and started checking everything out, despite my familiarity with brawl i saw how natural everything felt with pm, movement and basic combos alike, playing ike in brawl made picking him up in pm all the more natural as well. for at least 1 1/2 years that was my go-to game whenever i was bored, i had thoughts of trying competitive fests but didn't kno where to look until i made a SB account, found a fb page for my area and started going out to weeklies. Im no big name (western washington, tukwila more specifically) but i've been in the scene for almost 2 years and have had no regrets.

so once again, please, anyone who sees it, share your story, i'd love to hear every one of them :)

flique

Smash Rookie
It all started back in May or June of this year. It was when I got back into competitive smash. At the time, the only smash games I thought that were popular was brawl & sm4sh, until I watched the womb I combo video. When I started to look at what melee was as a community I started to watch more of it. I started to click on videos of smash, but then I saw this project m tournament video. I was surprised and I was like, "How is brawl going so fast?". I saw project m as the title and I thought it was pretty cool. My Wii was stolen at the time and my brawl disc was broken apart by my dog. I later went over to my friend christophers house for the first time and I was like, "Dude, you have brawl? I haven't played this since 2008.". after like 40 matches, I said," you know about hacking brawl in project m?". He didn't of course since he was a casual and then I came and turned everything competitive. We struggled for a good 3 months to get project m. We had the ad card for 4 weeks then lost it. We got another ad card and we still have it. Chris still beats me sometimes even though he isn't technical.

IronChar

Smash Journeyman
I'll try to shorten mine.

been playin smash for years, never knew about the scene.

played pm since 2.5. PM3.0 was like a huge xmas present. found out that the torny scene in BC was exploding (theres a whole sotry behind it too) in the spring. joined in.

even though I felt alienated releases after I got into the game I'd still play it and go to events- majorlyto play PM which has seen rocky times sense the release of smash 4.

I'm saddened by the news- PM realized my life and made me have faith in video game culture- it is the coolest console mod project ever, so to hear the team back out before a big release out of total FEAR... is weak IMO

forrestfire

Smash Rookie
I'll try to shorten mine.

been playin smash for years, never knew about the scene.

played pm since 2.5. PM3.0 was like a huge xmas present. found out that the torny scene in BC was exploding (theres a whole sotry behind it too) in the spring. joined in.

even though I felt alienated releases after I got into the game I'd still play it and go to events- majorlyto play PM which has seen rocky times sense the release of smash 4.

I'm saddened by the news- PM realized my life and made me have faith in video game culture- it is the coolest console mod project ever, so to hear the team back out before a big release out of total FEAR... is weak IMO

i feel it, i was pretty bummed too, but from what i've heard had they had released another update there was a very real chance it could've costed them thousands in lawsuits. I can understand the fear of the backlash in that regard

ZafKiel

Smash Apprentice
I only got into competitive Smash this past summer. I didn't really have a Wii U at the time so I thought about buying Melee, which is pretty hard to get nowadays. Then I thought about getting PM. My initial thoughts of PM were that it was this cheesy mod where you could add a bunch of random characters but I was wrong. When I got it, I would try out all the new movesets and think of adding custom tracks. I love how you can really make PM yours and it definitely got me into the Melee scene.

I suppose we will never get the headband or Roy's Awakening skin :(

Top Bottom