• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shaq-backed NRG Signs Super Smash Con Winner Nairo

What do you think of NRG's latest pickup?

• Happy

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • Sad

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Angry

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Underwhelmed

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • HYPED!

Votes: 43 46.2%

• Total voters

A week after leaving previous sponsor Team Liquid, Nairoby "Nairo" Quezada has been announced to be joining the NRG organization as its first Super Smash Bros for Wii U player. This comes after his recent victory at Super Smash Con 2016 last August 14.

"I feel amazing," Nairo tells Smashboards. "The potential with NRG has me so excited. I've talked with Andy Miller, NRG's Chairman, and I just felt so comfortable and right at home. The plans we have in the works have me hyped."

Placed second on the Panda Global Rank, Nairo is considered to be one of Smash Wii U's top contenders. Among his feats include winning the aforementioned Super Smash Con 2016 and being the first person to eliminate former Evolution champion Gonzalo "TSM | ZeRo" Barrios. Aside from this, he is one of the most popular Smash streamers on Twitch according to metrics.

For the uninitiated, NRG is a multi-game eSports organization backed by big names such as the Sacramento Kings' Andrew Miller and former NBA star Shaquille O'Neal. Formerly just a League of Legends LCS team, recent developments have had them expanding to other titles like Overwatch.

Nairo also told Smashboards that he thanks his fans, dubbed 'Naifus', for their overwhelming support:
Big shoutouts to the Naifu Nation, my amazing fans who don't stop supporting me. Even when it looks rough, I'm shown overwhelming love that motivates me to not stop fighting. I didn't win Smash Con, We won it. We won it and shoved it in the faces of everyone who kept sleeping on me. And now the NRG family joins with the Naifu Nation. We can't lose!
What do you think of NRG's latest pickup? Let us know in the reaction poll below.

For more coverage on competitive Smash Wii U stay tuned to Smashboards for more news.

Last edited:

Comments

Top Bottom