• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shantae for SSBB

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
I´m not sure why I didn´t think of her before.

What´s that? You´re not aware of who Shantae might be? She´s the protagonist of the eponymous game for the Gameboy Color, developed by WayForward Technologies and published by Capcom. It´s one of the best games for its system and actually excels at doing things that Gameboy Advance games took for granted; the definitive adventure experience, if you will. Unfortunately Shantae saw publication during the dying days of the GBC, and thus didn´t obtain the reputation that it most certainly deserved.

Shantae is a half-genie and protector of Scuttle Town, which is attacked by a pirate fleet lead by the lady-pirate Risky Boots. She seeks to obtain four magical gems and use them in combination with a new invention--the steam engine--to power a supremely destructive machine. Shantae chases her and her minions across her world, but in the end Risky manages to obtain all four gems. Shantae has a final showdown with her and emerges victorious, destroying the steam engine in the process. As a reward she is offered to become a full genie and enter the Genie Realm, but declines as it would mean saying goodbye to her earthly friends and family.

So why should Shantae be in? She´s just a great character idea. WayForward Technologies only has two games; this one and Sigma Star. It really wouldn´t hurt them to get a bit of spotlight, and if Sakurai decided to use their character they would most certainly agree under pretty much any terms, I can assure you. It´s not that farfetched of an idea, although I recognize that her appearance isn´t exactly a safe bet. She would be a great way of reviving a franchise that most definitely requires a second look at, however. She´s also a female character, has powers unique from pretty much every other Brawler and protagonizes an amazing adventure.

What are her abilities? Aside from having a plethora of items at her disposal, Shantae generally attacked enemies with her hair, using it like a whip. The centerpiece of her technique repetoire, however, was her ability to perform magical dances that would heal her or transport her to previously-visited worlds, or, most importantly, transform her into a number of magical creatures. More specifically she could become a block-smashing elephant, wall-climbing monkey, acid-spitting spider or sky-soaring harpy. If played in a Gameboy Advance, she could access a special fifth transformation in which she became a Tinkerbat, the main evil minion in the game.

Without further preamble, Shantae.

NEWCOMER: SHANTAE

from "Shantae", for the Gameboy Color

Stats (Out of Five)
Strength - ***
Weight - **
Speed - ****
Jump - ***

Other
Height - About the same as Peach
Falling Speed - Average

Notes
- Shantae´s dodging animation consists of a cartwheel. She travels farther when she dodges because of this.
- Shantae´s shield animation is exclusive. She actually becomes covered by a fireball that does no damage to her--it´s like any shield, but...a fireball.

A-Attacks (Ground)
A - Kick - A simple kick forward.
A, A - Kick, Horizontal Kick - A kick performed horizontally from right to left.
A, A, A - Kick, Horizontal Kick, Hair Stab - Jabs at the enemy with her ponytail.
Continued A - Capillary Assault - Repeatedly stabs the foe with her hair.
A-Up - Clap - Reaches up, arms spread, and claps them together.
A-Side - Sucker Punch - Rears her arm back and punches the foe squarely in the face.
A-Down - Split - Does a split, thrusting her palms against the ground for damage.
Dash - Elbow Dash - Crashes into the foe, elbow first.

A-Attacks (Air)
A - Hair Twirl - Ponytail moves by itself, twirling to slap the enemy.
A-Up - Moon Kick - Spins vertically full-circle, kicking the foe in the process.
A-Forward - Stinger - Presses her feet together, bends her legs back and thrusts them forward.
A-Backward - Pike Ball - A small, spiked ball flies out of Shantae´s pocket, hitting anyone behind her before returning to its place.
A-Down - Drill Kick - Claps her hands together and drills downward.

A-Attacks (Smash)
Smash-Forward - Assistance - Shantae takes out a magic lamp, out of which pops an etheral fist to punch the opponent away.
Smash-Up - Scissor Kick - Does a handstand, legs spread, and shuts her legs together in a scissor motion.
Smash-Down - Storm Puff - Forcefully throws a Storm Puff into the ground, provoking a small but powerful electrical discharge.

B-Attacks

B - Transformation Dance - Shantae assumes her dancing stance, with her hands clasped above her head and eyes closed. A shining blue aura forms around her. If the Transformation Dance is initiated in midair Shantae will be suspended in the air until the transformation is complete. This move cannot be canceled once initiated, but if you don´t press any buttons after it Shentae will return to normal after about 1.5 seconds of waiting for input. Weak attacks (4% or less) will not snap her out of her state, but stronger blows will. Once the Transformation Dance is initiated the outcome depends on the button combination you input. None of the transformations that she accesses can actually be controlled; they are automatic animations and Shantae returns to normal after they´re done.
- Monkey (A-A) - Shantae transforms into a monkey smaller than herself, which lunges toward the nearest opponent and swipes with the Monkey Claw. The attack is very fast and can reach even faraway foes, but has little knockback and leaves Shantae open for attack as she transforms back.
- Elephant (B-B) - Shantae transforms into an elephant somewhat taller than Bowser, which charges forward all the way to the edge of the platform that it stands on (unless it runs into a stage obstacle) before changing back. The attack is quite powerful and has high knockback, but the elephant runs slowly. It should also be noted that characters can stand on the elephant´s back. If performed in midair, the elephant will drop to the ground and then start charging.
- Spider (A-B) - Shantae transforms into a black spider about the size of Kirby, which spits a string of green acid forward in an upward angle. Any opponent hit by the venom will be poisoned, receiving small amounts of damage per second over a fairly long amount of time. Consuming healing items will also recover the foe from this effect.
- Harpy (B-A) - Shantae transforms into a harpy (a woman with the lower body, talons and wings of a bird, for those not too mythologically savvy). She then spins in place, wings spread out, emitting wind waves every which direction which knock opponents away with minimal damage. If performed in midair, wind waves are also sent down.

B-Up - Exit Candy - Shantae retreives a wrapped-up white-and-green candy and opens the wrapper, a mint-colored piece of candy popping out. Instantly a "door" opens directly behind Shantae (she is suspended if the move is performed in midair). By "door" I mean that a hole literally opens in the stage, as if the stage were a solid wall with everything painted on it rather than a 3D environment. A shadowy hand reaches out of this door and pulls Shantae in, as the door shuts. You have a small amount of time to determine the general direction in which the door to deliver Shantae back into the battlefield will open (with the Control Stick). When it opens, the swinging door can hurt enemies.

B-Side - Greedy Jar - This attack has some lag, as Shantae retreives a very large jar and heaves it, placing it on an opponent´s head if they are close enough and facing her. It does no damage, but leaves the character disoriented. This makes Control Stick directions opposite; up is down, left is right and so forth. The jar eventually disappears and Shantae must wait for it to disappear before being able to use this technique again. If Shantae fails to place the jar on someone´s head, she will stumble with the momentum of heaving it, leaving her wide open for attack.
As an aside, this being the Greedy Jar, the attack makes the foe cough up a particularly high number of coins in Coin Mode (assuming it´s also implemented into SSBB).

B-Down - Pike Balls - The same spiny ball that appears in Shantae´s aerial A-backward is used in this attack, but along with a pair. Both appear and spin around Shantae, hitting approaching enemies for minor damage. They do not reflect projectiles.

Grab Techniques
Grab - Tangle - Shantae´s ponytail reaches forward, grabbing the enemy.
A - Punish - Shantae holds the foe up with her hair and punches him/her.
Throw-Up - Heave-Ho - The ponytail spins the enemy around a couple times and then launches them upwards.
Throw-Side - Pulse Kick - Shantae holds the enemy up with her hair, rears her leg back and kicks them away with strength.
Throw-Down - Incinerate - Shantae drops the foe on the ground and lights herself up like in her shield animation. This does damage her opponent, inflicting the burn condition.

Taunt - Shantae faces the screen and does the "Yes!" arm motion (similar to what she´s doing in the image).

Super Smash - Advanced Dance - Shantae assumes her dance position with a bigger, more intense blue aura. You don´t have to input any commands for this one; she will automatically become the Tinkerbat, armored and with a sword. The Tinkerbat´s direction of movement and jump can be controlled by the player, but attacks cannot. It uses devastating sword combos and a more powerful version of the elephant´s charge to easily knock enemies out, and attacks pretty much whenever it gets close enough to a foe. Aside from being heavier and stronger than Shantae, it can run faster and jump higher. The transformation lasts for about ten seconds, after which Shantae returns to normal. To cancel it early, press B.

***​

And that´s Shantae. I´m not very good at movesets; chances are it´s overpowered. Maybe if I made the results of the Transformation Dance random instead it´d be fairer, idunno...

In anycase, please express your opinion about this character. Small as her chances are, I´d love to see her in SSBB, as it´s perhaps the only thing nowadays that could spark interest in continuing a wonderful game.

Some screenshots.

* The middle screenshot is actually from a planned Shantae GBA game that was never released.

Green Shell

Smash Journeyman
Nice load of information. I personally have no idea who this is, but I can really see her appearing in Brawl. She has the... look, for it? Good job on your moveset too, you were very descriptive and informational. Also, a very detailed thread.

Be sure to nudge Kaid in his Character Index thread, to get more viewers and comments!

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Yay for Shantae! Nice to see I'm not the only one here that enjoyed her game... I support Shantae for Brawl 100%, but alas, just as is the case concerning Marina Lightyears (one of the characters I've suggested on SmashBoards) her obscure third-party status (WayForward Technologies) complicates things a bit - although she is certainly NOT an impossibility... especially with speculation (I'm not going to call it a rumor) regarding a possible Shantae sequel in the works for the Wii. <link> Still... She is a long shot - but one that would be well worth it if she does in fact hit the mark.

Also, here is another take on a possible Shantae SSBB incarnation by Matouri of deviantART:

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
Lord Deathborne said:
Yay for Shantae! Nice to see I'm not the only one here that enjoyed her game... I support Shantae for Brawl 100%, but alas, just as is the case concerning Marina Lightyears (one of the characters I've suggested on SmashBoards) her obscure third-party status (WayForward Technologies) complicates things a bit - although she is certainly NOT an impossibility... especially with speculation (I'm not going to call it a rumor) regarding a possible Shantae sequel in the works for the Wii. <link> Still... She is a long shot - but one that would be well worth it if she does in fact hit the mark.
Indeed, she´s one of those characters who you can´t really cross your fingers for. SSB always carries quite a bit of unpredictability as proven by previous installations, but even then the odds are highly stacked up against her.

NukeA6 said:
Too bad there are better Capcom representatives.
Zeela12 said:
but I still think megaman is a beter rep for capcom.
WayForward Technologies owns the rights to Shantae, not Capcom. If she got into SSBB she wouldn´t get in as a Capcom character.

strider43 said:
For some reason this screams Sheik/Donkey Kong clone, but I am very intrigued...
Not sure where you got the Donkey Kong part (Dixie, maybe, for the ponytail?) I can assure you she has potential for an entirely original moveset, though.

YosterDragon

Smash Apprentice
Kunitsuna, you absolutely rock for suggesting such an awesome underdog character for Brawl. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has found Shantae amazing. I dig the moveset too, very nice. Though I'm not sure about using so many items for her B attacks. Maybe each different B move could be one of her transformations?

B up - Harpy attack - Shantae rockets upwards talons first, then can float down.
B side - Monkey claw swipe - If it hits, Shantae latches onto the opponent and can continue slashing.
B down - Spider web shot - Downward arcing shot that causes minor damage if it hits, lowers speed, jump height and increases falling speed. If it hits the ground, creates a sticky spot.
B neutral - Elephant charge - Like Luigi's side B, the longer B is held, the stronger the attack.

But that's just an idea. Yours has the plus of getting Shantae dancing :laugh:

NukeA6

Smash Master
WayForward Technologies owns the rights to Shantae, not Capcom. If she got into SSBB she wouldn´t get in as a Capcom character.
I could've sworn I saw Capcom on the game box.

I guess that makes her chances better by a little bit. Sakurai is unpredictable so anything can happen.

Kunitsuna

Smash Journeyman
That's because it was published by Capcom. WayForward still owns all the rights, though.

I'm gonna start thinking of a stage...

LukeFonFabre

Smash Lord
While I haven't heard of this character before, I'm definitely intrigued. She has a unique vibe about her and certainly has enough material for an entertaining moveset. Plus, a character that fights with their hair is awesomeness in itself.

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
Man, does she need more support!

She fits three great things that fit Brawl's needs right now:

1.) She's a female battler, they seriously need more.
2.) She's old school, like Pit and Lucas.
3.) She has some really unique fighting abilities, like her hair whipping.

Just see my signature. If any of you want to use the Shantae icon, use Right-Click, Open Image in New Window, and use away! :D

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
"Oh look, cleavage, I will take her for Brawl!"

Eh. I have to say no on this one. Third party character with only one game that was released at the end of the GBC's lifetime that got nearly no attention. If I am not mistaken it got mediocre reviews as well, but I can't really recall since that was so long ago. (Ok, it got pretty good reviews, I had to go back and look) The only pros I see are moveset potential and female, but doubt either of those can get a character a spot in Brawl without some other positives as well.

You did say that you didn't expect her at least, but I also can't really picture her in the game... even as a sticker or trophy...

Marcman2020

Smash Cadet
Oh how I wish it were true... COME ON MATT BOZON (or what ever his name is) GET HER IN THE GAME!!! BEG THEM IF YOU HAVE TO! JUST DO IT! X_X

okay, back on topic, I love Shantae, she's awesome, and seeing her in brawl would be off the hook. However, I doubt this will ever happen...but hey, you never know

btw, love the transformation dance idea, very original, heh

Magmar's Wrath

Smash Journeyman
"Oh look, cleavage, I will take her for Brawl!"

Eh. I have to say no on this one. Third party character with only one game that was released at the end of the GBC's lifetime that got nearly no attention. If I am not mistaken it got mediocre reviews as well, but I can't really recall since that was so long ago. (Ok, it got pretty good reviews, I had to go back and look) The only pros I see are moveset potential and female, but doubt either of those can get a character a spot in Brawl without some other positives as well.

You did say that you didn't expect her at least, but I also can't really picture her in the game... even as a sticker or trophy...
Yeah, well, I didn't exactly picture Pokémon Trainer in the game.

The truth is, Pit and Ice Climbers and several other old-school characters are like Shantae. The difference here is, she's on the Game Boy Color, not the NES. Shantae is not, at least for me, not desired as a PC solely because she has boobs. I think she has potential because she is original, old-school, open for a lot of fun abilities and music, and would be great for a comeback kid like, well, Pit.

So yes, her chances are small. But from where I see it, if it's not from a main Nintendo series, it has a small chance, but that doesn't stop others rooting for lesser known characters! :)

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
I love the character. :D I love the info!

I now love the game!...

But what kills her chances is her being 3rd party... x_X what a shame... :(

Isn't there some way to sneak her into a 2nd party possition? ^_^;

Lord_Deathborne

Smash Champion
Just a friendly reminder that there is a poll being conducted on WayForward's website regarding a Shantae sequel. Be sure to get over there and make your vote count! The link is provided in my second to the last post.

Top Bottom