• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Shadow Sneak Delay

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
After searching for some time if this technique had been discovered I decided to share it. Forgive me if this is old news.

With the release of 1.0.4 I was determined to get a better feel of the now nerfed Greninja. While practicing in training mode I accidentally discovered that you can stall or delay SS. Here are a couple of vids showing it:

http://gfycat.com/FocusedResponsibleEmperorshrimp#

https://gfycat.com/ObeseAnotherCur#

This is done by beginning SS then jumping and while in the air tapping A (holding B the whole time). I am still unsure of when the input from A has to occur or how many inputs is required. Hitting A at the apex of the jump seems to work better than other heights although I can't really tell. Most of my successful attempts came from spamming A after jumping. It is actually fairly simple to pull off. If done correctly you will be able to see the shadow on the ground and even move it back and forth. Keep in mind you are still holding B at this point. You will execute the SS after releasing B like normal.

I'm still trying to come up with scenarios where this is a viable option. It could possibly limit opponent recovery options, but the ending lag on SS is risky. Thoughts?

EDIT: after further testing the delay can be activated by any input not just A.

Last edited:

Br0kenEng1ish

Smash Cadet
All I can think of is using it to style on people in 2v2 where you have the shadow on them while your ally goes for a grab.

And as all smashes know style > best play any day of the week.

I'll try it out and think of something, but it might be to predictable to have a use. Test of the shadow stops off stage? Might help positioning in offstage kills.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
This is a nice find that I was able to replicate, though it's admittedly a bit hard to pull off, and difficult to think of a good way to use it (though it just might take experimentation in real battle to figure that out).

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
It is a strange input but after a while I was getting it consistently. I would only try it in a real battle if I had time while they were recovering. Again, I think it could be useful to use in that type of situation.

Also, I just found that you can cancel the SS entirely by ledge grabbing.

T0MMY

Smash Master
This is exactly what I was looking for to add into my SS game, but didn't think it was a possibility.
Thanks for sharing!
Now to find out how to jump-cancel the SS teleport... and how to bring out a Substitute without countering a hit.

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
I found another way that might be easier to pull of. You can input L or R instead of A at the apex of the jump at it works.

Edit: Any direction on the D pad also counts as a possible input

Last edited:

Vecst

Smash Rookie
Seems like you can just time the jump towards the end of a shadow sneak no need for other input, as long as you don't jump a second time it will work. you can also jump and start the shadow sneak and just before you hit the ground jump again and it will trigger the glitch. :D

jabronni

Smash Rookie
NNID
Jabronnii
It may be patched but its nothing that will harm greninja mains unless it becomes integral to our play which I dont see happening. It serves as a nice mix up for now.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Playing around with it, it seems that inputting anything during the jump doesn't seem to be the cause of it but rather landing and being in landing frames when Greninja would normally disappear (but only for full jumps oddly enough).

K1LL3R

Smash Rookie
NNID
rk_Pixel
Interesting! I was super confused why sometimes I was getting the delay and sometimes I wasn't. Nice job finding and dissecting the tech guys!

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Recently discovered this can be done off midair shadow sneaks by using your double jump.

Still unsure why this works with full jump and midair jump but not short hop...or why this works at all.

KingKong_ad

Smash Ace
You just need to full hop then pressing down just after the apex of the jump while not moving right or left ( so a staionnary jump) If you have the timing right. You can delay indefinitely your SS while having all your normal options while in SS aka you dont have to jump all the time.

tushlife

Smash Cadet
NNID
pantherdash
this also makes it easier to time your inputs for getting the forward kick instead of the flip off your SS to add on a few extra % and knockback on your opponent. it's also a really fun mindgame too.

Top Bottom