• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seriously, SAF Whistle is the best thing ever

GenG

Smash Lord
That's what I thought after blocking all the fsmashes from a Wolf with starman, and then an entire hammer, both in WiFi matches. My damage went up to 300% or so, but man, so epic.

This move makes Olimar recovery inmune to gimping and meteors too. Combine this with B+up edgehog and make people cry.

It's so good, I have a tendency to do it all the time for the laughs. It's the most usable piece of SAF in the whole game.

Jarri

Smash Journeyman
Yup, been doing it lots lately as well. So funny, and you can immediatly do another attack afterwards. Epic.

slayeriku

Smash Cadet
i like to use it when my opponents get dragoon :) they usually always do the "WTF?" taunt after if they ahve it

Sage2050

Smash Cadet
it doesnt make him immune to gimping, unfortunately, but it is a hell of a lot of fun to do

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
But be cautious. . .
Over-using a technique as such could only allow your opponent to come up with a counter strategy.

TrueRedemption

Smash Journeyman
Check the original thread (search WAC it'll come up) or read through the advanced olimar discussion section to find out the community's current understanding of the move Ykoahi =) It isn't an unstoppable power of Olimar's though, first many characters have such moves. It still gives Olimar the damage as well, so it requires a certain hesitance and play style developed around using it in order to reach even near 300%, and such a play style is so defensive that in a competative game one would rarely ever damage their opponent, making it a losing strategy. However to prevent a singular bad situation where dodge/shield would not is useful, learn the technique, simply don't go looking for 180%+ lives.

@Fredd I don't believe there really is much of a counter strategy, not one that needs much thought I suppose. The only counter is Grabing or long multi hit attacks. If you can be grabbed you should be shielding not WACing. Long multi hit moves are a "counter" to WAC, however the adjustment for olimars against such a situation is go back to normal survival, and when you avoid the long move you'll have time to hit them. Like i said though, I don't think any opponent would or should make an adjustment for this tactic. 95% of situations something other than a WAC is more useful, you won't take the damage, so if the olimar is soaking up that damage with WAC, no loss for the opponent, they normally would not have even hit there.

-True

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I find that the super armor frames are so generous on this move, and the lag time so short, that you can effectively whistle and then shield and stay completely safe. :/

Having said that, I think Wario's Fsmash has just as much usefullness, as does Charizard's up B. It's just that Olimar's has more options available after blocking if you know what you're doing.

M3zm3r1z3

Smash Apprentice
When do you guys find the best time to use the whistle at? I mean do you just start hitting the whistle when you think you're going to get hit(then why not just shield?), or do you just spam it at high percentages?

I'd like to hear how/when you guys use it

edit: nvm found a huge post about it

GenG

Smash Lord
I do not tend to use the whistle at low %, but at high and when the enemy has enough % to make taking damage worth enough to deliver a finishing blow. For example, a character who likes to do aerials on you, you SAF his move and then fastfall into usmash or just do a f/bair.

I also do this move when recovering to avoid meteors and other gay attacks at up b range and recovering just inmediately after SAFing (luckily the pikmin chain will hit them while they're lagged).

Just use it when you feel you can't avoid that specific move even with airdodges.

Top Bottom