• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seriously, I need to set some things straight about the future.

Olaf

Smash Cadet
I've been lurking around here for a while now, and i feel i need to clear a few things up. Some of these things have been stated before, but i would like to collaborate all my thoughts into one thread here.
1 - most of you have no idea who your main will be. hear me out here. the fact is, there are too many questions of "who will you main?" and such. the truth is, you have no idea. no video, no strategy, and no character love will settle 100% who your main will be until you play them. there are a few exceptions - the quarter billion people who are maining snake cuz he's snake. sonic, somewhat. and then the people who will main pit or meta due to the fact that they seem top tier at the moment. it frustrates me how many people love pit, and had never played kid icarus until it was on the VC.
example here - i thought i was going to main wolf. i played the japanese version a bit, and he felt good for a while. then, i played more recently. im dropping him. the first 2-3 weeks of the game will be crucial for most of us, as they will determine who we use for the long haul. and even this will probably be 3 characters or so for a while. this will change, of course, due to tiers for some, or fatal flaws in your character. or someone will discover some interesting thing about another character, and youll switch to them. the truth is, YOU DONT KNOW WHO YOU WILL MAIN UNTIL YOU PLAY EVERYONE EXTENSIVELY. the exceptions only really lie with the casuals, who dont take the game as seriously as some, and will play one character for different reasons, or will play everyone equally.
2 - the game only seems bad to many of you because its at the beginning. too many of you / us are still to hung up on melee to realize we have to learn a NEW game. its not terribly slower once you get the feel for it, and everything has changed.
3- it WILL get as competitive, if not more so. theres a lot of new people coming into the game, as well as many other players are just getting older and better. keep this in mind.
4 - tiers WILL exist. but itll take months. MONTHS people. like, our earliest tier listing that makes sense to many will probably be in august. really. look at many other games, and how much time it took for a solid tier list. and then again, look at melee. years after it was out, fox and falco took over top tier, and peach went to high tier. it was, for a while, marth and sheik. time changes everything.
keep these in mind, and just relax. the game is here in a few days, and when you get it, dont be concerned with what youll do first, or who youll start with.
my advice? take all the starter characters into practice mode, or vs with a buddy. systematically play everyone. mess around, get a feel for it.
then try SSE, get a better feel for the newer combat. unlock stuff. repeat as necessary until you find 1-3 characters that suit your fancy. then worry about all the other stuff.

Betaz

Smash Ace
jesus you were'nt kidding about "lurking for awhile"

but I completely agree with you ...mostly...some parts I don't but the majority of it I do agree with

Olaf

Smash Cadet
jesus you were'nt kidding about "lurking for awhile"

but I completely agree with you ...mostly...some parts I don't but the majority of it I do agree with
well, i dropped out of the forum scene for a lot of reasons, but ive come back to see this turmoil. and, its been rather disappointing.

but thanks for the reply.

Loghog

Smash Rookie
i didn't read everything cuz it was too long but my main will be lucas and 2nd will be marth... so your logic is flawed!!!

Yuna

BRoomer
BRoomer
This thread is just asking for flamewars since it combines four inflamed discussions all at once.

Olaf

Smash Cadet
i didn't read everything cuz it was too long but my main will be lucas and 2nd will be marth... so your logic is flawed!!!
the funny thing is, had you read eveything, youd notice im right about you. considering your attitude, and lack of time spent here, i assume your more the casual type then the competitive ** like i am.

but lucas is fun. marth...is marth. whoopie.

Olaf

Smash Cadet
This thread is just asking for flamewars since it combines four inflamed discussions all at once.
im sure youre right, but i just hope that 90% of the people read it through and at least take 1/4 of it to heart.
it needed to be said...

Mystery XIII

Smash Rookie
im still confused when it comes to main, tiers, etc i play competitively but that's just it.
it frustrates me how many people love pit, and had never played kid icarus until it was on the VC.
couldnt agree more i feel as if im the only one on my side of town who's been actually waiting for pit's arival in smash since the 64 version.

Whiteface

Smash Journeyman
NNID
TheRealWhiteface
That much is certain. Especially with that March madness thats been going around this time of year.

themitey1

Smash Cadet
well, i dropped out of the forum scene for a lot of reasons, but ive come back to see this turmoil. and, its been rather disappointing.

but thanks for the reply.
I bet i lurk more! >_>

Anyways, uh....yeah, too much complaining, to much thinking about what the future "WILL" be...way too soon....agree agree agree.....

*lurrrrk*

ComradeSAL

Smash Journeyman
If you're going to write something so freaking long please capitalize the first letter of every sentence. It's painful to try to read that.

Tatsujinken

Smash Journeyman
There are two things that I can think of responding to:

the truth is, YOU DONT KNOW WHO YOU WILL MAIN UNTIL YOU PLAY EVERYONE EXTENSIVELY. the exceptions only really lie with the casuals, who dont take the game as seriously as some, and will play one character for different reasons, or will play everyone equally.
This is not true. Me choosing to main a character before I have even played the game does not mean that I will not take the game seriously. It is not a matter of casual vs competitive. However, I am not blind, and I realize the strong likelihood that many people who are picking mains right now are all talk and will end up abandoning their selected mains for new ones.

it WILL get as competitive, if not more so. theres a lot of new people coming into the game, as well as many other players are just getting older and better. keep this in mind.
There is no guarantee that Brawl will be as competitive as Melee. And I seriously have no idea how to back my argument up. There is just no guarantee! Anything can happen from now; do not reject the possibility of Brawl being less competitive is all I am saying.

Olaf

Smash Cadet
There are two things that I can think of responding to:

This is not true. Me choosing to main a character before I have even played the game does not mean that I will not take the game seriously. It is not a matter of casual vs competitive. However, I am not blind, and I realize the strong likelihood that many people who are picking mains right now are all talk and will end up abandoning their selected mains for new ones.

There is no guarantee that Brawl will be as competitive as Melee. And I seriously have no idea how to back my argument up. There is just no guarantee! Anything can happen from now; do not reject the possibility of Brawl being less competitive is all I am saying.
i agree, there are noo proofs, etc, but the fact is, if people like a game, it will get big. because its the new smash, its almost guaranteed. almost.

-Aether

Smash Journeyman
It is garenteed that people will play the game "competatively." I for one will always play the game competatively, and try to contribute to the scene as best I can.

It is not garenteed that professional gaming leagues will adopt the game onto their roster, because it's highly possible that melee will be not advanced enough to facilitate a spot in MLG/Evo/etc.

Ookami-kun

Smash Ace
lol I'm gonna main Wolf because he is my favorite character. I will enjoy his playstyle because I enjoy his character. lol

Roy-Kun

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2337-4154-9016
Tiers will exist. That means... n00bs will exist?

I think those who guide themselves by tiers are n00bs, no offense, but I think it's a fact.

Mr. M

Smash Journeyman
Pensacola, FL Wargh! King Dedede, how dare you be
This is most of the things I've agreed upon and kept to heart, but never posted on this board. I felt it would have been a waste of time. Most of the people here won't read this.

A good example of said people, who won't read:
*forehead smack*

Top Bottom