• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sephiroth in Smash, I guess

Status
Not open for further replies.

Princess Rescuer

Smash Apprentice
Spam warning - rant threads aren't allowed.
Another Final Fantasy character; from the same game no less.

What, was Dissidia not good enough? We already have a fighting game- nay, a SERIES of fighting games made by Square Enix where fans of Final Fantasy can discover installments they are unfamiliar with and experience dream matchups in. I guess those are doing bad now and the characters need to be in Smash now?

Digital FF7 is on Switch now, so this is okay. Also Persona 5 Strikers is on Switch now, so Joker is okay. Though a lot of these characters seem to be based on the fact that Smash developers enjoyed animating the characters and playing the games they're based on (if Video Game Story Time is to be believed). One reason Galaxy 2 wasn't in 3D All-Stars despite everyone wanting it was because the developers didn't feel like it. I'm being serious.

Here's my question- Smash is big, yes? Having a character be in Smash is amazing exposure for any series, so why isn't Nintendo charging companies like crazy for the chance to put their character in Smash for lots of exposure, especially ones mainly on other consoles? You do know that most players who main Joker only have Nintendo consoles and haven't gotten the chance to play P5 proper because it would require an expensive console they are less interested in, right? For that one, Nintendo should be compensated for their work by both Atlus AND Sony IMHO. As everyone who defends paid online says, it's not a charity, so why not make companies pay if you're going to do that to players?

Last edited:

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
FFVII is a fantastic game with an excellently woven story. And it's even currently relevant thanks to the remake. Sephiroth was far from my first choice for a new character, but I think he's a great addition. It's always good when another series gets their villain, and Sephiroth is more than just FFVII's villain. He's one of the biggest villains in gaming as a whole.

We have no way of knowing what all goes into character negotiations. Perhaps companies do pay something. Idk. But I don't think Nintendo charging companies a lot to put their characters in Smash would set a good precedent. It would likely end up excluding a lot of really cool characters if smaller companies couldn't pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom