• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Separating the kings from the lings

Flayl

Smash Hero
Want to make sure you're playing Bowser at your highest level? Got the basics mastered? Welcome then to this intermediate guide. The goal is to take full advantage of your experience and use it to make your Bowser a full-fledged ruler... of clobbering!

Make your spacing harder to predict:
Bowser, like most mid-low characters, has a somewhat limited list of options for approaching. You'll find in a lot of matchups there is a specific zone you want to be, usually either in Jab or FTilt range of your opponent. On top of that, Bowser's walk is very very slow. What this means is that if you're not careful your opponents will quickly learn your range and power-shield your attacks/space their attacks so they hit Bowser's arms in the middle of an attack through sheer prediction. Thankfully, Brawl has analog controls so you can do your part to make sure this doesn't happen:
a) Do empty short hops
b) Turn around
c) Delay your attacks (when on the offense)
d) Go for a suboptimal attack [MIXUPS]

Use each of these options sparingly. They work best when you condition your opponent to expect to space normally. For that to happen, you have to space normally often. Something as simple as turning around makes the the range of Bowser's FTilt harder to visualize. Suboptimal attacks include short bursts of flame breath against a slow opponent, DTilt/FSmash against a spot-dodger and dash-grab against someone who shields often.

Pivot-grabbing/Baiting into klaw:
Fortress is really good. It's so good, it changes matchups completely for your opponent, forcing them to camp or approach you only with the safest moves. The lower you go down the tier list, the more the characters become affected by this. At a certain point characters start to only have 2 reliable options to hit you with, one of them being a projectile. So what happens when you predict their pokes? Usually you can FTilt them, or simply shield and get closer. But what if I told you:
a) Bowser has a better-than-average pivot grab
b) Aerial Klaw's disjointedness allows you to grab through disjointed approaches
(aka swords)
We all know the marvelous things Bowser can do with a grab, so it's in your best interest to get one whenever you can. For that you need to know your opponent's moveset well and know when the proper situation arises (a good example is predicting Mario's BAir). Klaw is the most damaging non-smash move Bowser has, so it's a really good option too. You can use it as a pivot-grab of sorts by jumping backwards and Klaw'ing the empty space Bowser was previously occupying. Just know that it IS harder to set up due to Bowser's awful jumping animation and the klaw's startup time. Baiting into a Klaw however has the advantage of working in the air, use it as a mixup with your airdodge: Double jump backwards, fast fall and Klaw your opponent's trajectory.

Jab mixups:
As you should know if you've really played Bowser enough, you can follow the first part of Bowser's jab with more than just the second part of the jab. If you wish to cancel into the first jab, hold down during the attack animation and let go + press A at the same time on the first frame of the crouching animation.
a) There are 3 possible scenarios in jab canceling, each are dependant on the opponent's position when you hit them with the first part of Jab:
a1) If he/she was right next to you: Klaw is guaranteed and should always be used (Other guaranteed options are the second part of jab, cancelling into the first part of jab again and fortress)
a2) If he/she was a little farther: Nothing is guaranteed except jab 2 - Klaw can only be avoided by spot-dodging, if your opponent attempts to roll he will be caught in the klaw. Here you want to use mixups that work on spotdodges: FSmash and DTilt, for example
a3) If he/she was outside klaw range: Nothing is guaranteed except jab 2 but FTilt is safe from this distance. Here you will need mixups for 2 occasions if you like to FTilt, you can't do anything about rolling/running away as far as I know: Against an opponent who shields the FTilt you can dash-grab, against an opponent who spot-dodges FSmash can work but DTilt more often than not won't.

If you cancel into the first jab in the a1) scenario, your opponent will be pushed into the zone of the a3) scenario.

Grab-release mixups:
If you're anything like me, you hate having your FTilt/DTilt powershielded out of a ground release. You know the frame advantage says they should be hitting, but for some reason, be it because you didn't buffer it or whatever, it doesn't work sometimes. I personally have a slightly slower-than-average reaction time which makes ground-release chaingrabbing very difficult. This is where mixups come in.
a) Your FTilt is getting powershielded: Go for a dash-grab when ground-releasing, or just simply Down Throw
b) Your DTilt is getting powershielded: You're probably looking for a kill - try Jab -> Bowser Bomb, if all 3 hits connect your opponent's shield will break. Otherwise go for a Klaw and hope the pummels have unstaled it enough
c) Your dash-grab keeps whiffing (your opponent runs away): Get better. But seriously, go for the most damaging release move you have or Down Throw instead. As far as I can tell you don't have an option for when they run away, firebreath is too slow.

Jab -> Bowser Bomb in b) will only work if your opponent has very little experience with it. Rememeber, for the mixups in a) and b) to work, you have to try to FTilt/DTilt often. You can also Jab some characters out of a ground-release and set up the a3) scenario in the Jab mixups entry.

Against an opponent on the ledge:

Hanging on the ledge:

Under construction

Flayl

Smash Hero
Wrote the pivot-grabbing/baiting into klaw part. Bowser's pivot-grab is top third in terms of speed.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Wrote the part for Jab mixups. Need people to test options for when the opponent is hit by the tip of Jab 1 and rolls away.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Landing with the Klaw animation can be mentioned again for baiting and general speed. The reassurance gained from reducing landing lag to 3 frames is impressive and mostly underused, especially with how often people rush/attack landing characters.

Also, should spacing need to be reset for some reason, D-air's wind effect tends to place most characters an optimal distance from Bowser. It's alarming how often this works in general, in both free for all or one on one.

Optimal distance hasn't been described for Bowser. Has anyone on this board specified how it works and how it tempers the Bowser metagame? There was a "boxing range" thread in the general tactics or discussions once, but the thread has been long since forgotten. This information will help any Bowser player. Knowing the theories on spacing yourself so that your defense can lead seamlessly into your offense provides amazing peace of mind, especially for the defensive Bowser.

Shök

Smash Champion
Nice guide, Flayl.

Hope to see the finished product soon. ;)

Flayl

Smash Hero
Landing with the Klaw animation can be mentioned again for baiting and general speed. The reassurance gained from reducing landing lag to 3 frames is impressive and mostly underused, especially with how often people rush/attack landing characters.
See, landing with the klaw animation isn't baiting in itself, unless your opponent has never played against a Bowser before and doesn't know it has 1 frame of lag (the rest being regular landing frames). It would be the same as saying Link using Zair baits people into thinking he will have lag, which isn't true as you can see playing against any Link that uses the technique. It's a nice feature of course.

Also, should spacing need to be reset for some reason, D-air's wind effect tends to place most characters an optimal distance from Bowser. It's alarming how often this works in general, in both free for all or one on one.
I've been using this more often too, but mostly because my opponent's haven't yet figured out what to do about it. As soon as they find out they can beat it out with just about any aerial ever it's back to the closet with this lol.

Optimal distance hasn't been described for Bowser. Has anyone on this board specified how it works and how it tempers the Bowser metagame? There was a "boxing range" thread in the general tactics or discussions once, but the thread has been long since forgotten. This information will help any Bowser player. Knowing the theories on spacing yourself so that your defense can lead seamlessly into your offense provides amazing peace of mind, especially for the defensive Bowser.
Like I mentioned in the first part of the original post, it depends on the matchup. It's either Jab range, FTilt range or Aerial Klaw range. You can find more info in the matchup thread.

edit: Wrote the grab-release part, didn't really like it. Might be because it reminds me of my shortcomings.

B!squick

Smash Master
I like it. The other night when playing against a friend, he started rolling away from my ground releases and I couldn't get another dash grab or land a DTilt for the life of me. I had to get fancy with my mix ups after that. I had no idea what it was I did though. Probably some SH aerials and FTilt zoning.

UltimaLuminaire

NNID
UltimaLuminaire
Like I mentioned in the first part of the original post, it depends on the matchup. It's either Jab range, FTilt range or Aerial Klaw range. You can find more info in the matchup thread.
I should clarify. What I meant by optimal range wasn't just the range of Bowser's attacks, but the range at which Bowser can dash-->shield-->dash/attack. This also varies based on matchup, but is never explicitly mentioned or explained within the matchup thread. It's usually a topic that players just assume other people know, like DI. Of course, if you think it's already covered in the pivot grab section, then there's nothing to worry about. It just felt like something that koopalings wouldn't dwell over.

Flayl

Smash Hero
I should clarify. What I meant by optimal range wasn't just the range of Bowser's attacks, but the range at which Bowser can dash-->shield-->dash/attack. This also varies based on matchup, but is never explicitly mentioned or explained within the matchup thread. It's usually a topic that players just assume other people know, like DI. Of course, if you think it's already covered in the pivot grab section, then there's nothing to worry about. It just felt like something that koopalings wouldn't dwell over.
This might be going completely over my head, but wouldn't that range simply be between the range of our preferred approach move and the range of opponent's preferred approach moves?

Also I could have sworn I had written a post before on my uncertainties on Bowser's ledge game...

Flayl

Smash Hero
I'm reviving this because I might have a cookie cutter solution for opponents hanging on the ledge. Also I'm more and more sure Bowser should have his back to his opponent unless you need to jab stuff on reaction. His poorly designed snout keeps getting me hit by stupid stuff.

Anyway, onto the ledge. As I see it, if Bowser does a full jump retreating FAir so that it would hit the opponent if he immediately jumped after grabbing the ledge (accounting for the time where your opponent is stuck to the ledge), he's in a position where he can punish any attempt to get back on stage.

a) If your opponent doesn't jump immediately but a bit later, you can double jump FAir him
b) If your opponent ledge attacks or gets up under 100% or does a ledge hop aerial, you can klaw him
c) If your opponent rolls under 100% you can klaw him or BAir him (BAir is better knockback-wise)
d) If your opponent ledge attacks or gets up at 100%+, you can double jump bomb him
e) If your opponent rolls over 100% you can double jump bomb him if his roll is short enough I think, otherwise BAir/klaw him
f) If your opponent does something that keeps him on the ledge you can klaw hop or land and do another full jump FAir to keep your position.

Feels very Marth'ish. This isn't something that can be tested with frame data, so I need your guys to try it out and I'll try to get some videos of my own.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
I find jab to be safe against some characters who suffer landing lag after up Bing the ledge. Mario comes immediately to mind.

I rarely double jump Bowser Bomb to punish getup attacks. I usually just use the move from the ground, since it automatically sends Bowser in the air.

Flayl

Smash Hero
Well when you're done full jumping a Fair, Bowser will still be airborne, hence why you're double-jumping to position yourself for a bowser bomb rather than using it from the ground.

Zigsta

Disney Film Director
NNID
Zigsta
3DS FC
1547-5526-6811
Well when you're done full jumping a Fair, Bowser will still be airborne, hence why you're double-jumping to position yourself for a bowser bomb rather than using it from the ground.
Oops, must have misread that. Was reading really quick before the movie I was watching started, haha.

Tenodera

Smash Cadet
<3 this guide. Coming along very well. I too like the title, but my nitpicky self can't resist saying that it's "separating". Looks great!

Top Bottom