• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 27, 2014] Smash Fest (Springfield, MO)

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
Hello! This will be my first major tournament I will host. I am just testing the waters right now, so it's a free tournament. For those of you going, please try and bring as many set ups as you can. Since this will be the first one, I do not know how big it will be, but I am hoping for a lot of people. Please give me advice as it will be my first hosting.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
I'll try to come. I've been hosting tournaments in Columbia, MO recently... but don't really have a reliable venue.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
Sorry people. I was in Mexico so I couldn't make anything more specific. It will be a Melee tournament, with singles and doubles. If we get enough people to support, we will have a PM tournament as well. I will be back with more specifics because I don't have time right now. Sorry!

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
So, it looks like we will only have time for just melee. Doors open at 8:30AM and we have the building till 5:00PM. Get there as early as possible, I would probably say that 11 is the cut off for doubles registration, and 2 is the cut off for singles registration. You can bring PM if you would like to play friendlies, but it will not be part of the tournament. Also, if we have time, I would like to set up a crew battle.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
General Rules:

Bring your own controller.

Be civil.

All singles sets excluding winner's semis, winner's finals, losers finals and grand finals will be best two
out of three sets. The sets mentioned before will all be best three out of five.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
Singles

Neutrals:

Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium

Stage Bans:

For Best of 3 sets, each player gets 1 stage ban.
For Best of 5 sets, there are no stage bans.

Last edited:

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
Doubles

Neutrals:

Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Past Stages: Dream Land
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counterpicks:

Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle

Stage Bans:

For Best of 3 sets, each team gets 2 stage bans.
For Best of 5 sets, each team gets 1 stage ban.

IsaAcacia

Smash Rookie
General Rules:

Items are set to off.

Stock and Time are set to 4 stock and 8 minutes respectively.

All singles sets are best of five.
All doubles sets, save for finals are best of three.
Doubles winner's, loser's, and grand finals are best of five.

Either player may request that Pause is set to off.
This request cannot be denied.

Blind Picks: Either player may request that a double blind selection occur. In this situation, a 3rd party should be told, in secret, each player’s choice of character for the first round. Both players are to then select their first round character, with the 3rd party validating that the character selected is the same as their word.

Modified Dave's Stupid Rule: No player can counter pick a stage he or she has previously won on unless agreed upon by both players.

Gentleman's clause: Any stage may be played on if both players agree to it. This rule takes priority over DSR.

Matches that time out will be determined by the remaining number of lives, then percentage of the current stock. In the event of a percentage tie, the match should be replayed in full. Sudden Death is not to be played, and will not count.

Wobbling is legal. Wobbling or performing any other infinite past 250%, however, is considered stalling, and is not legal. Dispose of your opponent before then.

Additional Rules for Teams Play:

Life Stealing is allowed

Set team attack to ON

If the game is paused accidentally while attempting to steal a life, the opposing team may deem that life forfeit. Wait until the announcer has finished saying defeated before pressing start, or turn pause off prior to beginning the match.

250% infinite limit is in effect for Doubles as well. Don't be a douchebag and infinite an opponent excessively in a 2v1 situation.

How to Play a Set:

Players select their characters.
Either player may elect to Double Blind.

Stage Striking: Players eliminate stages from the Starter Stage List until only 1 remains, and the players then play the first match on that stage.
Players strike stages in 1 2 2 1 order.
For example, striker one strikes 1 stage, striker two strikes 2 stages, then striker one strikes 1 more stage and the resulting stage that's left is played on.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
To be fair, the Springfield crew has hosted a few dozen tournaments between us, but IsaAcacia is new to it. We're lucky we found him because no one else has time to organize something anymore.

TGT | Ghosty

Jace Boster
NNID
studmuffin
Alright. Good to know. I was just concerned when I heard 'crew battle'.

Sadly I can't make it to this one. But springfield is really close to where I live, so I'd like to come out sometime

thatdamnlobster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5241-2337-9130
I may show up. I live on just down the road on Norton rd. I used to play competitively for melee 4 years ago. haven't played at all for 2 years though. Could be fun just to brush up on skills.

Maybe this should have waited till October 4th. Thats the day after the official release of smash 3ds comes out. Even if you don't like the slowness of the new game, you might bring in a new crowd of noobs who may be competitive in the future. Who knows.

Whatever you do, asking to put a flyer at the gamestop a block away would help spread the word. Maybe get some older fans back into it. Hell, I was looking for a weekly event that would get me back into smash bros and have some social connections again. There was a group of guys that I visited here in Springfield almost 2 years ago to play melee. They were cool and hospitable, but it felt really awkward hanging out in someone else's apartment and the drive was killer. A more neutral and relaxed scene closer to my house is by far my tastes.

Anyway, I may show up. Sounds like fun.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
@ thatdamnlobster thatdamnlobster We have almost-weekly smashfests in someone's garage, that setting might be more appealing to you. Southwest side of town, so the drive would be pretty easy since you'd basically just take Kansas for 30 or so minutes, but still a fairly long drive. Do you remember who it was you played with two years back? It's fascinating that there are competitive smashers in Springfield who we haven't met yet.

Edit: west, not east.

Last edited:

thatdamnlobster

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
5241-2337-9130
@ thatdamnlobster thatdamnlobster We have almost-weekly smashfests in someone's garage, that setting might be more appealing to you. Southwest side of town, so the drive would be pretty easy since you'd basically just take Kansas for 30 or so minutes, but still a fairly long drive. Do you remember who it was you played with two years back? It's fascinating that there are competitive smashers in Springfield who we haven't met yet.

Edit: west, not east.
Yeah, Mike edes was one of the guys (He is still on my facebook) with a couple of others in an apartment with a booth someone got from a resteraunt. ring any bells? The apartment was pretty empty in the living room other than a kinda banged up couch. Tv was ok sized in the corner of the living room and the players were using a recording device hooked up to their gamecube. Like I said, everyone was friendly, but I hadnt played melee for years (I had sold mine long ago) and brawl was the only game I had been used to. After visiting that apartment my exfriend later on broke my ssbb and refused to buy me another. Then I bought melee again but never played it because I had noone else to play with. Now I am totally in love with new 3ds version.

I would love to play with you guys, but 30 minute drive is to expensive till I get another job. I am just a college student and can barely afford to drive my gf to work and go to school. Until then, I will look forward to another tournament that isnt on my birthday.

Terral

bluehexagons
Slippi.gg
TERA#282
Are the smashfests open for anyone? And how close are they to MSU's campus?
These are open for everyone who wants to come by, the next one will be on the 29th. It's maybe a 10-15 minute drive from the MSU campus, but I'm not totally sure since I don't live in that part of town.

Last edited:
Top Bottom