• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Sep 20, 2014] MD/VA/PA/WV Aftershock 3:New Beginnings (Hagerstown, MD)

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
When:

September 20th, 2014

Where:

Ramada Inn: Antietam Conference Room
1718 Underpass Way
Hagerstown, MD 21740

It is right off of 81 around the Valley Mall. It is a small Road in the back. It can be a little hard to find. Look for a Brown Square office building and head towards it.

Price:

Entry Fee: 10 Dollars per event per player

The house will be taking a 3 dollar cut per event. We are going with a flat model like this for simplicity. It is also 5 dollars cheaper than if your to enter 2 $10 dollar events with a $5 venue. It is also only $5 more than 5-5-5 events. The other reason is to see how an effective $7 entry is.

Discounts:

Full Setup: 3 dollar refund

Full Carpool: 3 dollar refund. If you bring a full car of people you will get the refund. (3+ people is full car)

Events:

Melee Singles

Melee Doubles

Project M Singles

Brawl Singles

Brawl Doubles

Schedule:

11:00 AM Registration

12:00 PM Melee and Brawl Doubles Start

2:00 PM Melee Pools A and Brawl Pools B Start

2:30 PM: Melee Pools B and Brawl Pools A Start

3:30 PM: Doubles Finals

4:00 PM: Melee and Brawl Bracket

5:00 PM: Project M Pools A

5:30 Project M Pools B

6:30 Project M Bracket

Depending on how the early Bracket of Project M Runs we will run doubles.

Important

Set Procedure
Set Procedure

Player Priority is determined if it can not be agreed on. (See below for details)
Each Team selects one controller port to use for each Player.
Each Team selects one character for each Player. A double blind pick may be called by any player.
The first game is played on a Stage selected from the Starter Stage List either by mutual consent or through the Stage Striking Method. The order of stage striking will be 1-2-1 (Team 1 strikes one stage, followed by Team 2 striking two stages, with Team 1 then striking one of the two remaining stages).
The first match is played.
The team that lost the previous match may opt to re-pick controller ports (with themselves picking first).
The Team that won the previous match may announce one “Stage Ban” if they have not already done so in this set.
The Team that lost the previous match announces the stage for the next match from either the Starter or the Counter-pick Stage List. Any Stage named as a “Stage Ban” by the either Team may not be selected. No Stage may be used by a Team that has already won on that Stage in this set.
The Team that won the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The Team that lost the previous match chooses one character for each Player.
The next match is played.
Repeat steps 6-11 for all proceeding matches.

Brawl Rules

General rules:

* 8 minute timer

* Items are set to "off" and "none"

* All sets with the exception of winner's finals, loser's finals, and the championship are best of 3 matches (best of 5 for any "finals" matches)

* In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

* No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.

* In team matches, the ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion; whoever wins the RPS will choose first, then the opposing team will get their ports, and then the teammate of the RPS winner will get the last port.

* If the timer runs out, the victor is determined by stock. If stock is the same then percent determines winner. If percents are the same then one stock overtime match is played with 4 minute timer.

*If the timer runs out and a player has grabbed the ledge more than 40 times then that player will lose the round. (Ledge Grab Limit Rule)

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Any coaching that happens during the match (but not in between matches) is restricted. Players who violate this rule will receive a warning (BOTH the player AND the person coaching the player) on the first attempt. Players who violate this rule after a warning will be disqualified from the event and a possible ejection from the venue.
Players are to attend their matches at the designated times they are called. If you are late to a match, the following rules will be applied based on the amount of time:
If you are 5 minutes late: Results in a match loss
If you are 10 minutes late: Results in a set loss
These times will be strictly enforced to make sure that each player will enjoy the full event on a timely manner

Modified Doubles Rules

Team Attack set to “On”
Double Meta Knight is banned
Life stealing is allowed
In the event of a game reaching the time limit, if a single player on a team exceeds their Ledge Grab Limit, that team loses. If one or more players on both teams exceed their Ledge Grab Limit, then the Ledge Grab Limit rule is ignored.
In the event of a game going to time and the Ledge Grab Limit can not determine a winner and both teams have an equal amount of combined stocks, then whichever team has a lower combined percent is declared the winner.
If a player is using the character Pokemon Trainer, Lucario, or Sonic, either team may request that team colors be changed to make it easier to tell the difference between team players.

Brawl Stage List

-2 stage Bans

Starter Stages:

Smashville
Final Destination
Battlefield
Lylat Cruise
Yoshi Island (Brawl)

Counterpick stages:
Delfino
Pokémon Stadium 1
Pokemon Stadium 2
Brinstar
Castle Siege
Halberd
Frigate Orpheon

General Rules for Melee and PM
General Gameplay:

- Items are set to "off" and "none"
- If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage. If there is a tie, see the tiebreaker section to follow.
- Controller ports will be decided by players. If there is a conflict, we prefer using the G&W Hammer method to determine who gets to choose.
- You may switch controller ports on your counterpick only.
- BYOC (Bring your own controller). I recommend having a spare, just in case. If you don't have one, I might have a few for sale.
- Any controller malfunction mid match is on you. If you need to reset, your opponent will have to agree to a reset as doing so will require you to pause the match. (if pause is on).
- Stalling is banned. You know what this is, ask if you're unsure.
- If you freeze the game on an action initiated by your character, you lose the game. You are expected to know the boundaries of your character. (This rarely, if ever, happens.)
- Pause is recommended to be turned on for quick resets, but players can request it be turned off for the duration of their match.
- If a player pauses the match mid game (accidentally or intentionally), it is a stock loss to the player who pressed it.
- A match ending in simultaneous death does not go to the initiator. If the result is sudden death from this, use the normal tiebreaking rules (to follow) to determine the winner. Otherwise use who the game declared the winner.
- Coaching mid-match is banned. Don't do it.
- You cannot re-select a stage you have won on as a counterpick.
- Any and all infinites (basically, where someone can control the opponent without them being able to do anything about it) must end at 300%, otherwise it becomes stalling. All infinites are entirely legal otherwise.
- ALL sets are best 2 of 3 games, INCLUDING the finals.
- In the event of a game running to time, the winner is determined first by stocks, then % if the stocks are tied.
- LGL Rule: ALL games have a ledge grab limit of 50. This only comes into play if a match goes to time. If the match goes to time, and one of the players have exceeded the LGL, than the other player automatically wins regardless of the original outcome. If neither player or both players have, then normal tie breaking procedures take precedence.

Conduct Rules:

- 4 stock
- 8 minute timer
- No intrusive Cosmetic hacks permitted (no altering characters to look like master chief, no reversing the ice climbers colors, etc.)
- Drugs/Alcohol are banned from Xanadu. Don't let me see any, smell any, etc. We'll send you home packing.
- Intentionally disrupting someone mid-match intentionally or accidentally is not acceptable. Please do your best to make sure you are not disrupting a match. This can result in a penalty at T.O.'s discretion.
- Don't lose anything you're bringing to the event please, we are not liable for lost/stolen etc.
- TTL Rule: You must register for the event in person, on-time. Once the registration deadline is closed, no further entries will be permitted. Do not try to call me in advance to hold the bracket.
- Collusion of any kind (asking, intentionally throwing matches yourself, "agreeing to split", etc.) is subject to instant disqualification from all events, forfeiture of all prizes, banning of said players from stream matches and a potential 1 event suspension at the T.O's discretion.

Melee rules:

- 1 stage ban

- Starter Stages:
Yoshi's Story

Fountain of Dreams

Battlefield

Final Destination

Dream Land 64

- Counterpick stages
Pokemon Stadium

PM ONLY rules:

- 3 bans instead of 1 ban for stages

- Starter Stages
Smashville

Battlefield

Final Destination

Pokemon Stadium 2

Dream Land 64

Fountain of Dreams

Green Hill Zone

- Counterpick Stages
Distant Planet

Skyworld

Yoshi's Island

Warioware

Yoshi's Story

Lylat Cruise

Metal Cavern

Prize Payouts:
If less than 32

1st: 60%

2nd: 30%

3rd: 10%

If more than 32

1st: 48%

2nd: 22%

3rd: 14%

4th: 8%

5th: 4%

5th: 4%

Housing/Hotels:Ramada Inn

Food: There is a little Grill next door. The Mall has a food court. There is a Mcdonalds, Chick Fil-A, Wendy’s and Taco Bell down the road. There is also an Outback and Buffalo Wild Wings Down the Road. Plenty of places to eat.

Sponsor(s):

Livestream(s): TBD

Legal

Please read the above information carefully. By participating, you are agreeing to follow all rules. Any failure to do so can and will result in you being asked to leave (no refund). Also by participating you are agreeing not to hold us responsible for any property or personal loss or damage. Bags may be searched when you enter and when you leave to prevent theft

Contact

Email: metalmonstar-lv100@juno.com

AIM: Metalmonstar 100

YIM: Metal_monstarlv100

Cell phone: 240-291-2196

twitter: @metropolisgames

Last edited:

Hanamaru

Smash Rookie
I'm so excited to see Aftershock tournaments again! It's been what, like three years?

I'm totally going--it'll be nice to see smashers I haven't seen in awhile. AFTERSHOCK HYPE!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
My apologies, the date has been changed to Septemer 20th as I am still recovering from being ill.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I was in the hospital for Pneumonia end of August to early September. I am better now. It is just getting back on top of things.

JustinShreds

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-1383-8677
I plan on coming out and playing Project M, this will be my first Smash tournament! Looking forward to it!

Question, I have a buddy that just got into Smash and would like to come and watch, will there be a venue fee for him since he wont be registering to play?

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I plan on coming out and playing Project M, this will be my first Smash tournament! Looking forward to it!

Question, I have a buddy that just got into Smash and would like to come and watch, will there be a venue fee for him since he wont be registering to play?
You are welcome to bring friends along. There is no fee for spectators at the event.

I was wondering if I should update to the latest Xanadu ruleset or leave it at the old one.

Last edited:

Jiggle4Life

Smash Ace
You are welcome to bring friends along. There is no fee for spectators at the event.

I was wondering if I should update to the latest Xanadu ruleset or leave it at the old one.
Assuming your talking about Pm
Why not use apex rules, people tend to use it anyways *no hate just a question*

WaddleZ

Smash Rookie
Does anyone live in the Martinsburg, WV area that could give me a ride? I'll pay for gas!

Otherwise, this will be my first Smash event! I'm really excited and hope I can make it.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
Assuming your talking about Pm
Why not use apex rules, people tend to use it anyways *no hate just a question*
Going with Apex rules is an option. I would like to keep some consistency with the other local events.

Where you located at Waddlez? I can't make any promises but I may be able to find a ride.

WaddleZ

Smash Rookie
Where you located at Waddlez? I can't make any promises but I may be able to find a ride.
Kearneysville, WV, right on the county line. I'm trying to persuade some friends to go as well, so I may still make it even if I can't get a ride here.

Last edited:

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I wish you luck LtGen.

Good to hear there are players in the West Virginia area. They have a facebook page but most are towards the capital region. One of my goals was to try to grow a Martinsburg scene.

WaddleZ

Smash Rookie
I wish you luck LtGen.

Good to hear there are players in the West Virginia area. They have a facebook page but most are towards the capital region. One of my goals was to try to grow a Martinsburg scene.
I would be so hyped for a Martinsburg scene! There are definitely some good venues, and I think there would be enough interest if word got out. I'd be more than willing to help if/when you get the chance to set something up out here.

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
I would be so hyped for a Martinsburg scene! There are definitely some good venues, and I think there would be enough interest if word got out. I'd be more than willing to help if/when you get the chance to set something up out here.
That sounds like something I would be certainly interested in.

HiFlo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Hi.Flo
3DS FC
1865-1068-2662
Thanks all for attending. Results should be up later today. If you have a chance I created a short survey to get feedback about the event. https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/FCPWVST
hey metalmonstar,

Just because i'm excited to see a tourney location somewhat close to me for once, do you plan on holding this event again? I know it's probably a little too early for you to say but just checking!

metalmonstar

Smash Lord
hey metalmonstar,

Just because i'm excited to see a tourney location somewhat close to me for once, do you plan on holding this event again? I know it's probably a little too early for you to say but just checking!
I am taking a little a break but I am certainly hoping to start running more tournaments.

Top Bottom