• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sensei's Quest to become a Keyboard Masta

Sensei

Smash Lord
My USB adapter doesn't really work anymore so the only way I can play smash now is with the keyboard. I was just curious as to what key layout do people use. I am going to try random layouts for now and see out this goes. So I basically have to relearn how to play smash again :laugh:

Now, off to my quest...

Discuss...

Vex Kasrani

Smash Master
he said hes usb adapter broke and hes not using a wired 360 controller xzax.........
he needs the adapter to plus the controller into the port
back on subject, my old layout was, on the # pad on the right of the keyboard, 1=A, 4=B,
2=R, 3=Z, 9=L, w= up, s=down, a=left, d=right, all directional keys are the c buttons, notice how close they are to the a button? makes it easier for aerials, goodluck with the keyboard.

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
i no i fed up but i got i thought wrong gosh vex....................
? .... :confused:

anyway mine's kind of awkward...i like having all my buttons close to each other

left hand

Q: c down
WASD: arrows
E: z button
-------------------
right hand
F: a button
G: b button
R: l buton
T: r button

DSB

Smash Apprentice
I use the default layout but set the Z on space and one of the c buttons to right Ctrl. Works for me.

Nephiros

Smash Ace
Arrow keys for movement.
W : Z
A : A
S : B
D : R
F : C-button

Somehow it feels like it's the fifth time I post it on smashboards...

marthmaster04

Smash Ace
XD left handed nub neph. :p

ASDW for movement

A= D-arrow
B= L-arrow
Z= U-arrow
C-down= right arrow
R= right ctrl
L= 0 ins key

Rest of the C-buttons on 1 2 and 3 on the keypad. :p

greenblob

Smash Lord
I switched to controller a while ago, but back when I used the keyboard...

analog stick=arrow keys
A=X
B=C
Z=numpad 0
R=Z
L=shift
start=enter
C=WASD

Sensei

Smash Lord
I haven't seen you online in months anyway sensei.
Yea, mainly because of my USB adapter. I sorta gave up on it but now I want to learn how to play on the keyboard lol.

Neph, that layout wouldnt work for me lol. Im too used to using wsda for direciton from playing first person shooters on PC lol. I dont really see a need to use the c button unless i want to jump shorter to pull of certain combos, but I need to get the basics down first before I go advanced on keyboard. I can barely z cancel now rofl. Thx for the input. Now back to my quest...

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
I think he knows, he's just not proficient enough with the keyboard to try it yet :lick:
Winston has a full hopping Falcon, but his control setup is crazy...
I think it goes...
Movement = arrows
0 = Zcancel
Right control = grab
And the rest of the buttons are mapped to weird places on the number pad.

Lawrencelot

Smash Lord
I use:
control stick = arrows
a = x
b = c
r = z
z = left shift
l = a
up c button = space
other c buttons = don't know, probably standard
start = enter

It took me quite a while to get used to shorthopping with space, but now it works just fine. I never played the game on a controller btw.

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Here's my wonderful configuration:

Analog: WASD
A: [
B: P
R: \
L: Backspace
C-buttons: 9, 0, -, =
Z: Left Shift

There's a few reasons why I think this is such a great one:
-Your hands have a lot of room to work with.
-Control patterns from the N64 controller are mapped on the keyboard. On the controller you short-hop by shifting your right index finger up to a c-button, and you do the same here. The left hand controls only Z and analog like on the controller, etc.
-Taunting is really easy lol
-As long as you have enough dexterity to use your pinkies easily this is extremely comfortable.

cmasterchoe

Smash Journeyman
one thing that i have learned about from messing around with my keyboard (from being on the airplane a lot with my laptop) is that unlike my controller where i just push forward and a at the same time, or up and a at the same time to smash, on the kb u have to declare (ie press) the direction button a split second first. i guess its cuz the emulator is much faster but my keyboard play is a lot more precise, if thats a word. its harder to tilt and to single hop uairs, but i've found a whole new fascination with smash on the keyboard

D

Deleted member

sorry but youd never be a keyboard masta

not unless you can completely beat captain blowjob (he pwns)

zero212

Smash Apprentice
gee,you guys got all the wrong configurations the true way to become a keyboard masta is with a = numpad 1 b = numpad 2 z= numpad the c buttons are numpad = 4,5,6 and 8 L= numpad 7 and R = numpad 9 and i use the arrows for the analog stick. (oh yeah and start = numpad . ) that's how a true left handed keyboard master plays. (well not really but this is how i play anyways)

_kSo_

Smash Master
Here's my wonderful configuration:

Analog: WASD
A: [
B: P
R: \
L: Backspace
C-buttons: 9, 0, -, =
Z: Left Shift

There's a few reasons why I think this is such a great one:
-Your hands have a lot of room to work with.
-Control patterns from the N64 controller are mapped on the keyboard. On the controller you short-hop by shifting your right index finger up to a c-button, and you do the same here. The left hand controls only Z and analog like on the controller, etc.
-Taunting is really easy lol
-As long as you have enough dexterity to use your pinkies easily this is extremely comfortable.

This sounds good! i'm going to try it.

of course i dont know what situation would require me to use a kb, lest my converter goes to hell...*knock on wood*

Kronox

Smash Rookie
My config when using keyboard is like this..

Analog: Arrow keys
A: insert
B: supr
R: RePag
L: Avpag
C-button up: Home
Z: End

I move the char with my right hand, and i put my left hand on the 4 keys at the time xD
it really works well for me

malva00

Smash Master
i asked sensei if he wanted to play and he's like "i don't feel like playing on keyboard" the guy's a PhOnY

Blue Bird

Smash Cadet
Well I use a laptop. The shift key is right above the arrows, so I use the shift key as a C button and it lets me short hop (instead of pressing up arrow, I tap shift key). You have to really REALLY just TAP the shift key (or whatever key your C button is at), or else you'll just do a normal jump.

Even with a C button key it's gonna take you some practice. Things like Ness' double jump cancel and also Kirby spikes on the ground are freaking hell to accomplish but it's possible. You'll never be as good as if you had a controller, but it's workable.

As for my layout:

Arrow keys for movement.
Z = shield
X = A
C = B
S = R / grab
A = L / taunt
And my right shift is a C button. :p

A lot of people don't believe I play with a keyboard for some reason. xD But it's true. You just gotta practice practice practice. Controller is best. Your combos with a keyboard are VERY limited given that you can't do tilt moves whenever you feel like it. For example, when I play with Pikachu, the only time I ever manage to do tilt up+A is right after I land (usually after trying one of the electrical air attacks).

If you tap the block button you'll be rooted on the ground for a few frames so if you press up during those frames, you won't jump and you can do aerial moves from there. You can still combo with Fox like air down+A, then hold up as you Z-cancel then if you press A you'll do the heel kick. xD

Nintendude

Smash Hero
Um...for me keyboard is just as easy as controller except I have a tiny bit more freedom with the controller. Short-hops aren't hard at all. It's the same quick reflex you use on the controller. Ness's DJC is really easy too. Just press two C buttons instead of mashing the same one.

Keyboard is pretty much just as good as the controller since you can easily do massive DIs with it.

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
Um...for me keyboard is just as easy as controller except I have a tiny bit more freedom with the controller. Short-hops aren't hard at all. It's the same quick reflex you use on the controller. Ness's DJC is really easy too. Just press two C buttons instead of mashing the same one.

Keyboard is pretty much just as good as the controller since you can easily do massive DIs with it.
-you can't do ftilts on the spot (you'll just dash)
-you can't walk on demand (on edgeguard you have to jump or dash right into position)
-you can't utilt on demand
-you can't do a d-air edgeguard or you'll fastfall unless you're already holding down
-you can't do sh-uairs unless you're holding up or you run off an edge and press it a little simultaneously
-sometimes when you want to do smashes if you don't mash the buttons properly you actually jump and do a uair
-pivoting sometimes causes you to do their dash attack even if you let go of the directional button
-no 360 degrees of direction for link's boomerang, foxes recovery, pika recovery

shorthops aren't hard but you have alot more freedom of movement with a controller without worrying as much as kb about how hard you press the controller button

and finally on controller you can use thumbs for almost everything while on keyboard you usually don't assign it a key at all or you assign it to the spacebar and obviously opposable thumbs > flat keyboard (opposable thumbs = useless on kb)

Nintendude

Smash Hero
-you can't do ftilts on the spot (you'll just dash)
-you can't walk on demand (on edgeguard you have to jump or dash right into position)
-you can't utilt on demand
So if you just think ahead like half a second, which you should already be doing if you are good, it's not an issue.

-you can't do a d-air edgeguard or you'll fastfall unless you're already holding down
I can hardly think of any situations where you'd do that. Usually you think of dairing during your jump and can just press down before you reach the peak of the jump.

-you can't do sh-uairs unless you're holding up or you run off an edge and press it a little simultaneously
False, I can short-hop Uair with 95% consistency. Just press up during the jump animation.

-sometimes when you want to do smashes if you don't mash the buttons properly you actually jump and do a uair
-pivoting sometimes causes you to do their dash attack even if you let go of the directional button
Happens with the controller too, and a little practice fixes that.

-no 360 degrees of direction for link's boomerang, foxes recovery, pika recovery
I'll give you that one, but the only one it really matters with is Fox, and keyboard makes DI on edgeguards easier anyway.

shorthops aren't hard but you have alot more freedom of movement with a controller without worrying as much as kb about how hard you press the controller button
I hardly notice a difference besides running/walking.

and finally on controller you can use thumbs for almost everything while on keyboard you usually don't assign it a key at all or you assign it to the spacebar and obviously opposable thumbs > flat keyboard (opposable thumbs = useless on kb)
Keyboard is better in this respect because being able to use 8 fingers at once (which mine does) is a lot better than only being able to use 4-5.

Box_of_Fox

Smash Journeyman
Nintendude you're right on most things, however...

So if you just think ahead like half a second, which you should already be doing if you are good, it's not an issue.
I've done keyboard for a few years now and let me tell you, when I'm getting beat by the better smashers out there, the lack of standing uptilts and/or fast ftilts makes pikachu and jigglypuff MUCH more difficult to play, ESPECIALLY if its that's the case and its a ditto. Ness's that can spam uptilt out of nowhere are much better than Ness's that can't. It bugs me more than anything online.

When on a kb most players obviously have to put themselves in situations so that they don't HAVE to stand uptilt/ quick ftilt, but that doesn't stop those situations from arising every match anyway.

Oh, and one clarification for mercenaries--

you can't do a d-air edgeguard or you'll fastfall unless you're already holding down
Dair edge-guarding does not force one to fastfall, you simply need to start the Dair during the SH animation... I'm aware that keyboard beginners have trouble NOT fastfalling dairs and such, but playing Mario I use the SH-Dair-Twice "spike", and the first Dair in that "spike" is never fastfalled. Although Shuaring can prove difficult for some, not-fastfalling is an easier task.

Wenbobular

Smash Hero
Nintendude, do you use your index finger to shorthop? Because I use my thumb...or was that just a typo?

Frogles

Smash Ace
i heard neph, zacee, and nintendude have really thick mustaches. im guessing thats where the skill comes from. tell me, can you grow a mustache sensei?

Artiph

Smash Rookie
Arrow Keys for movement.
C is your A-button
X is your B-button
Z is your Z-button
S is your R-button
A is your L-button
That's the config I normally use.

mercenaries

Smash Cadet
i was going to reply to this but never found the time

i don't know why i put the fastfalling dair thing I just realized it now but for some reason in my head....yea...anyway

not being able to do ftilts and utilts when you want is very annoying and is a big disadvantage imo

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
Keyboard Fo Lyfe misses HAVING THE INTERNET IN ME OWN HOUSE.
>.> Sensei :O I think i played you with me samus.

D: what character you play with?
If its falcon or someone that REQUIRES short hop Uairs good luck.
Im tossing my name as soon as i get my adapter and internet.
( made a satellite using my cell phone and some cord. Its not safe to play or log in to anything without it gettingt stolen wirelessly lol. Seriously I got like 2 MMO accounts taken somehow. >.> there goes WoW and FFXI.)

a

Smash Cadet
Arrow Keys for Movement
(Z) = A
(X) = B
(C) = Z
(A) = L
(S) = R
(F) = C-Left
(V) = C-Right
(G) = C-Up
(B) = C-Down

hard for you maybe, but I'm just really used to it.

Top Bottom