• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Semi-Competitive to Competitive

Jackson

Smash Lord
Hey guys, Jackson here, a Marth main in brawl. I consider myself a more or less good player, but I feel like at this point my skills aren't going anywhere. Can anyone help me to raise my game from semi-competitive to competitive through some helpful general tips? Like notable advanced techniques, or maybe ways to mess with opponents (mindgames). I really want to raise my skills in Brawl, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone!

Dr. Krumm

Smash Apprentice
The best way towards improving is playing different opponents and learn to pick up habits to punish quickly. Go to lokals, heck, go to Apex! Do anything you can to fight new opponents. Watching matches of other players and of yourself and studying them is also a good idea. What are the pro Marth players doing that makes them so good? Find out!

As for advanced techniques, I'd go check the Marth character boards and ask Marth specific questions.

Jackson

Smash Lord
The best way towards improving is playing different opponents and learn to pick up habits to punish quickly. Go to lokals, heck, go to Apex! Do anything you can to fight new opponents. Watching matches of other players and of yourself and studying them is also a good idea. What are the pro Marth players doing that makes them so good? Find out!

As for advanced techniques, I'd go check the Marth character boards and ask Marth specific questions.
Thanks, that was helpful and gave me good things to consider.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
I was wondering if there is a specific direction of DI that is more commonly used then then others when DI after being hit by an attack? I realize that that is a large generalization and that there is by no means one best direction to DI, but based on the general directions that attacks can send you is there a DI direction that is used most often?

Jackson

Smash Lord
I was wondering if there is a specific direction of DI that is more commonly used then then others when DI after being hit by an attack? I realize that that is a large generalization and that there is by no means one best direction to DI, but based on the general directions that attacks can send you is there a DI direction that is used most often?
I think it's largely character dependent. As an example, Ike needs to either be above or level to the stage to recover with his side B, and below but right next to the stage to recover with his up B. So basically, if he's hit to a bottom corner, he's screwed. To help alleviate this a bit, Ikes need to DI up almost always when hit offstage. Since we both play Marth, I can tell you that Marth's recovery is decent and should let you survive in most cases. For Marth, you just need to DI against the direction you were sent. This is hard, I guess it just comes with time (I'm no master of it). So to put it shortly, it depends on your characters recovery, but usually there isn't one best direction. Hope that helped you buddy!

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Towards the upper corner of the screen

Last edited:

Taytertot

Smash Ace
Thanks guys this is very true. I just find myself losing a stock early if for instance I get hit up because my tendency is to DI the exact opposite way that I get hit or I DI slowly because I'm trying to think about the best direction to DI. I've heard that it's best to DI perpendicular to the direction you get hit so I was wondering if I could improve my habits in situations where I'm not prepared by DIing in the direction that suits the most situations. maybe this is the wrong way to think about it and I just need to get better at reacting to each trajectory.

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
Geometry dictates you want to go to the upper corner.

Jackson

Smash Lord
word thanks man. I suppose I havent got it down yet and I dont know all the attack trajectories and I just have to learn them all.
Yeah man, it'll come with time. Best of luck. In fact, your question suits this thread because good DI is one of the things that separates good and bad players.

D

Deleted member 189823

You don't have to be good, to be a competetive player. All it really takes, is the desire to WANT to win and do what you can, to accomplish it.
ATs by themselves won't do much, without solid fundamentals (a Marth should excel in spacing). Mindgaming, is not something you exactly teach another. But rather, your ability to trick (otherwise, referred to as, 'baiting') your opponent into comitting to an action so that you punish it, afterwards.

Jackson

Smash Lord
You don't have to be good, to be a competetive player. All it really takes, is the desire to WANT to win and do what you can, to accomplish it.
ATs by themselves won't do much, without solid fundamentals (a Marth should excel in spacing). Mindgaming, is not something you exactly teach another. But rather, your ability to trick (otherwise, referred to as, 'baiting') your opponent into comitting to an action so that you punish it, afterwards.
Good information, thanks.

Taytertot

Smash Ace
If I were to pick a character to learn as a secondary (other then metaknight or ice climbers) that would cover match-ups that marth is bad at, who would be a good choice?

Top Bottom