• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Self-destruct or Lag?

Do you SD when your game lags?

• Yes

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 9 39.1%
  • Eh, it depends on whether or not it algs at the start or something like that AKA other but I don't f

Votes: 6 26.1%

• Total voters

Alfalfa

Smash Rookie
Every time I join a game and it lags in the middle, I get the same dilemma again; do suicide, or play with the lag? Of course this is depending on whether the guy does suicide first, but sometimes he keeps playing, but it's hard to play when you can hardly move. I also don't like doing suicide because it feels like a rage quit in some cases, and some people see it as "Haha, this guy's scared of me. Lawl." I haven't ever done suicide by lag, and I always play through it, but it feels kind of lame, especially since I usually lose anyway.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
There's no point in staying in unplayable lag. SD'ing is the only thing to do, since playing in that crappy lag will leave you with a bad feeling in the end anyway. Besides, don't worry about what your opponent thinks of you. It's a good way to spot immature scum when someone sees you SDing and they still try to fight while taunting at you. Be the better person and walk away.

Last edited:

Zatchiel

a little slice of heaven 🍰
NNID
Zatchiel
Switch FC
SW-0915-4119-3504
If the match keeps freezing just give it a moment to see if it clears up. 30 seconds at least (not by the match timer). Just sit there and don't move until it stops. If it doesn't, or the opponent doesn't care and starts attacking you, you can just SD to get out of the match. No use playing if you aren't comfortable with the conditions. It's always up to you.

If the input lag is bad then it's probably not going to get better during that game. Could be better next game with that same player. If it's not, oh well. Can't have a 10/10 connection with everyone you encounter in FG. There are way too many factors in play.

D

Deleted member

Normally I just deal with the lag, it generally isn't horribly choppy for me but is more slow but stable.

WolfieXVII ❂

stay woke
NNID
tresxvii
3DS FC
4699-5598-8215
I'd SD
Win rates don't really matter
No point in playing lag anyways because it'll mess up how you play
Plus it's annoying play in 5 minute matches moving at a snails pace
SD, move on to a person with a more stable connection

Splooshi Splashy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Splooshi_Splashy
3DS FC
4768-8534-8805
I'll always persevere through even the roughest of lag, slideshow or input, because it'll let me practice adaptation skills, think about the positions of all the players in a match longer to better plan out my moves, and test whether or not the character I currently am in a match is a high execution character or not.
I consider :4ludwig: to be a high execution character because of all the Side B Jump Cancels & juggles I do with him. Thankfully I Jump Cancel with the :GCY::GCX::GCLT: buttons and NOT by :GCU:, otherwise I'd be Spinning Out more often into the abyss.
:4duckhunt: is a mid execution character whenever I'm moving away from or with my Can (he's low, otherwise).
:4alph: is surprisingly low execution, despite his Pikmin management. :o
:4drmario: becomes like :4wiremac: in terms of recovery if I forget to immediately Down B after using my 2nd jump.
:4charizard:'s a mid or even high execution character because of Sliding Rock Smashes and ShortHop Flamethrowers, the inputs for which if erred, becomes Flare Blitz, possibly sending me either off the stage or crashing headfirst into a fresh shield or a projectile for an easy punish by the opponent.

Sometimes, however, the lag sometimes gets so bad that the game itself MAKES me & everyone else in the room stop the match via "Communication Error". This is practically the ONLY time that I'll not persevere through a laggy match, since I can't make the game say no to the question of whether or not to stop the match if it decides to speak up with a "Communication Error." Naturally, this leaves me salty, whether I'm on the winning or losing side of the match when it happens, and I'll just have to "hold that". :I

Shakes

Smash Rookie
I'll only SD if the input lag is unbearable. Otherwise I might try to wait it out. I can deal with some slowdown and stuttering, but second long input lag makes you look like you have the reflexes of a sack of doorknobs.

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
It Varies, If its lagging to where I feel like I'm in the matrix I'll wait to see if my opponent SD's first, if not then I SD.
Also if the lag is 5 second delay in inputs...well then I SD ASAP.

"AINT NOBODY GOT TIME FO DAT" - Smash 4 on Netcode and Smart Connectivity

:yeahboi:/

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I SD and let them have the win. I don't want to play someone in Australia with a potato for a router.

I'm pretty picky, if it is even slightly choppy I'll usually leave because it frustrates me to no end.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
It depends on how often the lag occurs in the match.

If a short period of lag occurs in the middle of the match, but it clears up quickly and the rest of the match is okay, it won't bother me. Even the best connections aren't perfect, so one little issue isn't the end of the world.

On the other hand, if the match is lagging quite often, I'll leave the moment the match is over. My main requires very precise positioning and timing in order to play her well due to the massive amount of ending frames many of her moves have, so I'm not going to take kindly to somebody whose bad connection consistently messes with my ability to play.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
If the lag is manageable, then I'll try my best to play it out.
If I'm playing in Matrix bullet time then I'm SD'ing.

Purin a.k.a. José

Smash Lord
NNID
purinsmash
3DS FC
1418-7121-0144
It depends on what kind of lag it is. If it's a Slideshow or input lag, I will get out the exact second the game ends. However, I will keep in the game if it just stops for some seconds and continues.

Weavile493

Smash Rookie
NNID
Weavile_493
I keep going through the toughest if lag but I'll leave after the match is over unless if my opponent is strong so in which case I'll stay

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
I would usually stay honestly.

I just wanna win against them and make them feel like they need to get a better connection if they wanna win and beat me.

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
If it's hiccups and nothing major, I'll probably stick around.

In today's session, I was getting mad salty because the lag made it extremely difficult to respond to any attacks. A game with consistent jitters was enough to get me to leave.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
If the lag is bull****ting me like literally, then yeah, I say **** this **** and get out of there.

I'll just look for someone else with a better, more stable connection.

Arrei

Smash Lord
If it's choppy, I'll tough it out but leave after the fight. If there's input lag, I'm disconnecting or SDing right then and there.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
I just avoid the opponent because who wants to fight like that?

Well actually apparently a lot ofpeople do because every Mexican player with garbage internet I run into still wants to try to attack me despite the game looking like a slide-show.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I'll usually give them 1 match and if the lag was consistent throughout I'll find someone else to fight. As dumb as laggy matches can be, they're still some sort of timing/predicting practice.

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
Depends on the lag. If it's unplayable, yes. If it's bad enough to where I lose a stock, yes. If it's a little lag, I will try. I do hate when I'm playing the game, lagging and I can tell my opponent is playing just fine (aka he/she is lagging me). I don't care about my For Glory record, so I don't let stuff like that waste my time.

derpcube

Smash Apprentice
I just avoid the opponent because who wants to fight like that?

Well actually apparently a lot ofpeople do because every Mexican player with garbage internet I run into still wants to try to attack me despite the game looking like a slide-show.
Im Mexican and my internet is the exact opposite of garbage.

The only type of lag that bothers me is input lag, and the occasional inverted song of time lag.(Where the framerate is smooth but at such a slow pace.)

Top Bottom