• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Select Yoshi

Select Yoshi

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Egg. submitted a new guide:

Select Yoshi - A Guide to Yoshi's Custom Moves

Custom moves provide a great way freshen up your gameplay and change up your strategy depending on what kind of character/player you're up against, and with a total of 12 unique moves to choose from for every single character in Smash 4, it can be easy to lose track of what exactly each one does. While I am by no means a competitive player, I've experimented a whole ton with custom moves since the game's release and feel confident enough in my...
Read more about this guide...

Saturnity

Smash Rookie
Has anyone tested how reliable crushing bomb is when you land the first hit? Looks almost escapable.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
If you get them on the first hit when they're far enough away from you it's actually inescapable in my experience (but it may also just be my friends' poor DI/vectoring). I've tested it on level 9 computers, who generally spam jump and air-dodge in order to escape combos if they can, and it works on them 100% of the time. At mid-high percentage though, the first hit can pop them out behind you if you're too close on the first hit (like your nose is inside of their model). I'll be adding this to the guide probably by the end of the day.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Does he have anything better to replace that stupid egg roll?

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
The default egg roll is much better for surprise damage than it used to be and is not easily punishable if you don't overuse it due to how quickly it starts up and turns. I've seen heavy egg roll used to pressure opponents at high percentages successfully, since not only does it actually kill, but once you get going you have super armor and can pivot quickly to predict and punish rolls. The only issue with that one is that hitting a shield stops you in your tracks and leaves you open to a free grab, plus anyone with a tether grab can pull you out of it with no issues whatsoever.

Light egg roll is my favorite because of how unpredictable it is - you can't exit the egg manually for some time after you activate it, but you travel across the stage insanely fast. It's really useful for intercepting someone's vertical recovery if they aren't expecting it, closing the distance on a projectile spammer (since you bounce over most people's projectiles), and for following someone off-stage if you're careful. It's a bit tricky to control, but once you get the hang of it, I think you can get much more use out of it than the default. That's just my opinion, though.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Egg. updated Select Yoshi with a new update entry:

Wii U screenshots + video!

After much delay, I've finally updated the guide as promised! The video summary is all done and can be viewed here, and all of the pictures have also been replaced with nice HD ones for your viewing pleasure. This is probably the last major change I'll make to this guide, but still feel free to let me know with any questions/comments you may have!
Read the rest of this update entry...

salaboB

Smash Champion
If you get them on the first hit when they're far enough away from you it's actually inescapable in my experience (but it may also just be my friends' poor DI/vectoring). I've tested it on level 9 computers, who generally spam jump and air-dodge in order to escape combos if they can, and it works on them 100% of the time. At mid-high percentage though, the first hit can pop them out behind you if you're too close on the first hit (like your nose is inside of their model). I'll be adding this to the guide probably by the end of the day.
I've noticed that AI in general seems very flaky at avoiding down-B pound-type moves (Also happens with Bowser) so I wouldn't assume anything until it's tested in more detail against a human.

Last edited:

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I had also tested it with a friend a while back on the 3DS version, but that was before the patch and I wasn't sure exactly how he was trying to escape (hence the note about poor DI/vectoring). I'll be sure to test that later tonight using two controllers and edit this post with the results!

EDIT: So I tested it, and I'm pretty sure that when spaced correctly, the opponent cannot DI/airdodge out of the second hit. If you start crushing bomb too close to the opponent, they can push towards you to escape, but if you are far enough away when starting the attack, then nothing can be done to stop it. I'm having a friend come over in person tomorrow and I can make sure then.

Last edited:
Top Bottom