• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seeking those interested...

TheLostHylian

Smash Cadet
Hey all. This will be my first post in the Pokemon sub-forum of Smash Boards. I've been working on and off since 2006 on a custom Pokemon server. I do realize that you all are making your own CAP project, but this project is different. Instead of just adding new Pokemon, rather, I'm editing every single current Pokemon. I've had staff members come and go from my project, and as of now I'm the only one. I started back when Shoddy just came out, and because the program wasn't edit-friendly to non-programmers, most of my work wasn't put into the game. Now that Pokemon Online is out, editing the program is EASY. But my goal still requires a lot of work, and now I'm looking for people interested in re-creating the game of Pokemon.

Basically, with every generation, more and more older generation Pokemon become obsolete. Most RBY Pokemon weren't developed in a way that promotes good usage in later generations, for example. Only a select few Pokemon from RBY have been OU in every generation, those being the likes of Starmie, Gengar, and Chansey (now Blissey). In order to alleviate this problem, I've started editing every Pokemon... stats, movepools, abilities, even typing. And the moves and abilities themselves are under work too. With this much editing, this is going to be a whole new game, in a sense, just very familiar. Redeveloping every Pokemon to be competitively sound is my goal, as well as making them fit their "flavor" more, though I'm not against creative liberties. The type chart will also be edited to better balance the game.

Here are some examples of the changes I'm making:

Pin Missile's Base Power is increased to 25.
Charizard is Fire/Dragon type, and since that is the best offensive typing in the game, his good offenses will be offset by poor defenses.
Ice resists Dragon, Ghost, and Normal now.
Air Lock REMOVES all weather instead of ignoring it.

If you think you have a good understanding of Pokemon theory and would like to contribute, please feel free to post. Once I see there is enough interest, we'll begin a group effort. Until then, I'll be back to work on my own. I look forward to replies.

ps: I don't want to get replies about "oh you're completely changing the game." I know this already. Whether or not you agree, my project will still be worked on, I'm just looking to open this up to a broader audience.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
Though I applaud your efforts, we aren't really a community that's interested in that. :[

Instead, I think you'd find people more willing and able to assist with your project at a forum like this: http://www.pokecommunity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=37

I was briefly looking for info on how to undertake such a project myself and came across this site. It has lots of useful tools, info, and it isn't a graveyard. Good luck with your romhack!

TheLostHylian

Smash Cadet
It's not a ROM hack, it's editing Pokemon Online's database files lol

You've not played Pokemon Online?

Pokemon-online.eu

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
You should try going to PokeCommunity, TheLostHylian. They've got a much larger modding community.

ss118

Smash Master
I'll throw out suggestions if you put up a changelist so far.

I mean you've been working on this from 2006, I hope you have one by now. lol

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We've been doing something like this already, its called NU to OU. It's hacking the weaker Pokemon of the game and making them OU viable with editing. We have it set up currently so it's compatible with other servers and clients, so base powers, type resistances, etc aren't something we've been planning on changing. You can download it here.

I forgot to include an installation .txt, so:

-----------------------
INTRUCTIONS FOR INSTALLATION
-----------------------
1. Go to "My Computer"
2. Navigate to C:/Documents and Settings/[Your Name]/Pokemon Online/db
3. Paste in the folders.
4. Enjoy

For W7 users, it's under Users rather than Docs and settings.

TheLostHylian

Smash Cadet
I'll throw out suggestions if you put up a changelist so far.

I mean you've been working on this from 2006, I hope you have one by now. lol
See, the problem is, I got a virus when I had the moves and abilities all edited, as well as the first 3 generations of Pokemon "completed". So, as of now, I'm going in and editing what I remember. It takes a lot of work. I'll return with a larger list of changes soon.

If you need a hint of what kind of suggestions to make, I'm definitely adding changes that should have been there to begin with. For example, Ampharos is the beacon Pokemon and has a glowing tail, yet doesn't get Tail Glow officially, so he's getting it on my server.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
We have Tail Glow Ampharos and all that stuff on ours.

Also trust me, get too revolutionary and nobody will want to play it. Don't change anything that doesn't need to be changed.

:phone:

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
Messing with base stats was something we avoided, which I really liked.

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
NNID
UltiMario
3DS FC
1719-3180-2455
Well, avoided it when possible. Obviously we did change stats, but luckily alternate forms remedied any incompatibility issues :3

Top Bottom