• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Security Alert! XP Internet Security 2010!

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Getting this message pop up regularly. Says my laptop is infected and that I should purchase XP security or whatever to get rid of it.

I know it's a virus, but how do I get rid of it?

Other boards are recommending ComboFix. Any advice?

Can I restore my laptop to yesterday's settings or something?

Thanks in advance.

Skrlx

Smash Champion
Download AVG Free and scan your computer

if AVG free fails to remove the virus use restore and restore to the second to last nearest date your computer set a restore point.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Appreciate it. I managed to get rid of it with an Anti Malware Programme, seems like it's quite common.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Appreciate it. I managed to get rid of it with an Anti Malware Programme, seems like it's quite common.
What did use to remove it? I just got an email from my boss saying it's on his computer and he wants me to fix it quick. If you could save me the research and post your solution, it'd make me look like a stud when i show up to work.

mikeyZ

Smash Rookie
Before installing any anti-spyware tool, make sure you fix bad Windows Registry values by downloading ExeRepair.reg file from http://www.pcindanger.com/xp-guardian-2010-removal.html

Then instead of Spyware Doctor use Malwarebytes Antimalware program which can be downloaded from http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam-download.php
- Install program by double clicking mbam-setup.exe setup file.
- Stick to the guidelines when installing the program.
- Make sure you update the program with latest entries.
- Start computer scan by launcing the program and pressing "Scan" button.
- After the scan has been completed, click "Show Results", then "Remove Selected".
- Computer restart might be necessary.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
So I got another variation, this time called Windows Security Alert. I can't open Malware bytes or system restore or anything. Arghh what to do?

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I have the software I need the virus just won't let me open any .exe files apparently.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
If your desperate, download and make an ubuntu live cd. You'll be able to open your windows files, and delete the virus where it can't run.

Chaco

Never Logs In
All you need to do is put Malware Bytes on a USB and put it in, run the set up and it'll fix ya right up. Matter of seconds tbh.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Malware bytes didn't open even when I put it on a usb. Thanks though, I'ma try it again later, I've left it for a few days.

Dastrn

BRoomer
BRoomer
Restart your computer in safe mode with networking. This will start your compuyter in a limited state that only allows basic files and drivers necessary to run windows. Chances are solid that you won't have symptoms of your bug in safe mode. From there, install and run malwarebytes. click update first to make sure you have the latest info. then run a full scan and go take a shower or something while you wait.

when it's done, click show results, and then remove the selected problems. Restart, and you should be good.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Thanks, I'll give that a go if it doesn't work normally again.

Chaco

Never Logs In
There's a fix you need to run to get MBAM to work that I forgot about, my bad. Lemme search for it real fast.

EDIT: Try booting it in safe mode and installing it from there, if you still cant you might have a TDSS trojan and need to run tdsskiller.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
I got Malware working without a USB or safe mode...the pop ups have stopped and it reported a threat but I'm still suspicious. My laptop is ridiculously slow. I'm backing everything up right now.

Chaco

Never Logs In
What all did it remove? Post the removed list if you still have it.

~N9NE~

Smash Master
NNID
LondonAssyrian
Registry Keys Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ebook_c_0058.mynshandler (Spyware.AdaEbook) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

That's what it got rid of. I'm suspicious because last time it got rid of a lot more, but that was a different variation? Idk...

Everything seems to be working ok now and at a decent pace, nevertheless I've now backed up everything.

I scanned it after it detected an infection and it said everything's clean.

I'm running an AVG scan now.

Chaco

Never Logs In
It sounded like you had a bot on there, but MBAM usually detects some of those. But if its running at a better pace now that might not be the case.

Super_ness

Smash Journeyman
The main problem with safe mode is that it only loads essential drivers, but doesn't check the integrity of them. You could just rename the virus an essential windows file, and POOF! Kernel-land access.

Sraigux

Smash Journeyman
Personally I have gotten similar malware like this before.

First you run the task manager and kill the antivirus task. After that, uninstall the program (I don't know how it installs itself in the firstplace). Than download malwarebytes and run a scan. Restart your computer and you're good. (If you cannot do this, try running windows in safe mode and logon as Administrator)

Edit: If malwarebytes doesnt start up, rename mbam.exe to something else. Some viruses disable mbam.exe

emerald7

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the security alert warning. Does this mean that this message pop up is a kind of malware and not a virus? I also hope to know if system restore is already enough to get rid of it since it is just a malicious software.

Top Bottom