• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary?

KnuckaSammich

Smash Rookie
I'm not sure if anybody has posted about this yet, but after comfortably maining ZSS for a while I've started to consider picking up a secondary. So far I've experimented with Ness and Cap, and a bit with Pikachu and Lucario.

I'm curious to see what you guys have chosen as your secondary (or main, if ZSS is your secondary), as well as why you made your choice.

Duzzzyy

Sing me your lullaby~
NNID
Duzzzyy
Greninja, both are fast and can make some flashy kills, and Lucina for some reason I don't know at all.

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I'm not sure if anybody has posted about this yet, but after comfortably maining ZSS for a while I've started to consider picking up a secondary. So far I've experimented with Ness and Cap, and a bit with Pikachu and Lucario.

I'm curious to see what you guys have chosen as your secondary (or main, if ZSS is your secondary), as well as why you made your choice.
Sheik main, ZSS secondary (working on dual-maining).

As for why, I basically just like how they both play. There's also the added benefit of Sheik not having many bad MUs, and that the ones that are difficult are because you can't kill early/reliably; not a problem for ZSS with Boost Kick and stronger kill moves, so it's a decent balance.

Not sure if it's 'worth it' yet, since we don't have MUs for ZSS or Sheik (or anyone else) yet, but time will tell and I enjoy them both so whatever.

Sir Ught

Smash Cadet
I go back and forth between Diddy and ZSS being my main. I've been playing Diddy since Brawl came out so I just feel super comfortable with his entire moveset and don't think i'll ever stop enjoying him. I didn't actually like ZSS before I got her in a random match a few months ago and immediately decreed that I would claim her as my second!

Kurri ★

#PlayUNIST
Switch FC
7334-0298-1902
My main trio are ZSS, Palutena, and Robin.

For ZSS, I've been playing her since Brawl/PM, so it was pretty much a given that I'd play her in Smash 4.

As for Palu and Robin. Well I was already planning to main Robin because swords and magic are cool (and Lucas was cut from the game). Palu started out as a joke. My friends noticed I was mostly playing the female cast, so I started the "Waifu Army" as a response. After a few games, I realized I actually enjoyed playing Palu.

KnuckaSammich

Smash Rookie
Thanks for the feedback.

It seems that at this point in the metagame most people are picking based purely on preference or past experience. I think my issue stems from the fact that I want to cover as many weaknesses as possible, but ZSS's are less pronounced than most characters (IE she's seems viable in most MUs save for MAYBE sheik or pikachu, but they are best dealt with in dittos, and I'm not too confident in pitting my secondary in a ditto against someones primary)

David Viran

Smash Lord
Thanks for the feedback.

It seems that at this point in the metagame most people are picking based purely on preference or past experience. I think my issue stems from the fact that I want to cover as many weaknesses as possible, but ZSS's are less pronounced than most characters (IE she's seems viable in most MUs save for MAYBE sheik or pikachu, but they are best dealt with in dittos, and I'm not too confident in pitting my secondary in a ditto against someones primary)
Pika and Diddy are the worst and sheik is even. I'm rethinking the Pikachu MU though but I guess my secondary is mii brawler because I love using him. With customs now legal I can use them in tournaments finally. The salt to come from helicopter kick is coming.

Last edited:

free33

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Intelctmeatbal
I am a big zss main, and I am thinking of picking up a serious secondary (let's be real though everybody is holding out 4 mewtwo:). It would be awesome if someone could outline her weaknesses, as they are subtle and hard to catch. I do have trouble with really good zoning (toon)links, so I was thinking of trying fox as a projectile counter with good pressure. Any tips or opinions would be great!

Last edited:

Jaxas

Smash Champion
NNID
Jaxas7
I am a big zss main, and I am thinking of picking up a serious secondary (let's be real though everybody is holding out 4 mewtwo:). It would be awesome if someone could outline her weaknesses, as they are subtle and hard to catch. I do have trouble with really good zoning (toon)links, so I was thinking of trying fox as a projectile counter with good pressure. Any tips or opinions would be great!
I think her biggest weakness is probably smart use of shield, as she has little that is truly safe on block and her only grab is a tether grab, and laggy by nature. As for secondaries, I really have no idea; I'll let more knowledgeable ZSS players comment on that.

David Viran

Smash Lord
I think her biggest weakness is probably smart use of shield, as she has little that is truly safe on block and her only grab is a tether grab, and laggy by nature. As for secondaries, I really have no idea; I'll let more knowledgeable ZSS players comment on that.
Smart shielding is bad for zss but not because lack of unsafe moves. She's got nair, Bair, dsmash, ftilt, and kind of dtilt and uair. It's that she has to go for a risky grab that's the weakness. As for secondary I would say maybe Pikachu.

KnuckaSammich

Smash Rookie
After some though I've decided to pick up fox to contrast her spacing with rushdown. I also see a few maneuvers with difficult zss MUs (FF offstage nair for diddy and reflector/run speed for pika)

ninrok

Smash Cadet
NNID
rokninja
Currently I main ROB alongside ZSS, but I'm focusing more on ZSS as I just have slightly more fun playing her. Initially I picked her up to cover ROB's weaknesses, particularly fast characters that could dance around him and juggle him for free all day.

Zero Suti ain't havin' dat, yo'. :-p

I've been jumping around characters since 3DS launch though. I started this game as a Robin/Lucina/Peach user... And I'm trying to re-learn Varia Suit Samus, who I've "mained" since the original (non-competitively outside of a tiny bit of competitive time early in Brawl).

I'm a huge huge huge Metroid fan, which factored in to me playing both Samus iterations... so thankfully they both seem to be working out lol.

Top Bottom