• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary that compliments Pikachu

DoubleM10

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2511-7689-2504
Hello all,

I have mained Pikachu since 64. By far my fav character no matter where on the tier list.

My question is who is everyone using as a Secondary? I like Cloud, Mewtwo and Duck Hunt.

Just looking to see what everyone else is doing.

Thank you

Aussie1024

"Stow your fear. It's now or never!"
Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Hello, fellow Pika player! I'm still trying figure out who my definitive main is for Ultimate. I keep alternating between Pikachu and Zelda as a main because they compliment each other well (at least for me).

Pika's fast movement speed and fluent combo ability usually fall into the type of character I like using. Although I've been using Pika as a pummel fighter rather than hit-and-run. We know Pikachu is a character who cannot afford to keep taking hits with his weight.

Anyway, I think Zelda is a decent compliment to Pikachu. She got some buffs from Sm4sh and received a decent improvement, but still overall can struggle in neutral and can be at a disadvantage against rush-down characters.

That's not to say she doesn't have stuff to work with. She has a good defensive game in that she can wall out and pressure opponents with Phantom, her restructured down-B. Side-B, Din's Fire, is a decent projectile. Neutral-B, Nayru's Love, can reflect projectiles and is a good "get off me" move in close range. Her Up-B, Farore's Wind, is an excellent recovery and can also be a surprise move when your opponent is charging a move. It can also be a ladder kill.

Her tools can be used as a bait-and-punish. With effective dashing, you can bait people with her dash attack and grabs. While Zelda still has poor foot speed, her dashing is surprisingly decent. Her grabs have amazing combo ability, such as her up and down throws. Her up-throw and back-throw can kill over 120 as well.

Her aerials also received a buff in frame data. Nair is awesome in a combo, and her lightning kicks (fair and bair) are an excellent finisher. Her dair is also a spike if you hit the sweetspot. U-air is amazing for opponents that are straight above you. It has a pretty sizable hitbox. Her up-tilt is also a good starter combo into a nair or fair (depending on the situation).

Smash attacks are decent too. D-Smash is good OOS, U-Smash always hits if an opponent is directly above you (except when separated by a platform), and F-Smash has a good hitbox and is an awesome punish if you time it right.

I wouldn't say Zelda is a perfect compliment to Pikachu, but she plays a style that differs from him, which has challenged me in my time with the game. I have found it comfortable for myself though. I know it won't work for everyone, but I feel it works well for the time I've had with the game.

Let me know if you have any questions!

DoubleM10

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2511-7689-2504
Hello,

I appreciate the thought you put into that response. Since I have posted I have used some sources like matchup listings on eventhub. I have practised a bit with MewTwo. Pikachu bad matchups (basicly anyone with a sword for the most part) seem to be even with MewTwo instead of disadvantage. His floaty makes makes more challenging to combo similar to Zelda. Only problem I have had with him is he isn't as good of an edge guarder and he is physically bigger so easier to hit. Still has good combo ability. Nice projectile. And still good recovery.

Thank you again for putting thought into the response. I will have to play more with Zelda and see if she fits my play style.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
No problem! It was my pleasure.

Yeah combos can be hard to pull off with both Pika and Zelda. Pika does have good moves that can combo into each other but they take practice to do so. Zelda has some combos that can take time to learn as well. She has a decent combo game if you know her moveset well. I can always tell you more if you need me to.

Zelda's tall frame also makes it easier for her to hit, so it's nothing new compared to Mewtwo. She does have good projectiles like Din's Fire and the Phantom, which can be used for more situations than just straight offense. Both make for solid edge-guarding tactics. You can space your opponent pretty far off the stage with good timing and practice.

Good luck trying her out. Feel free to ask me or anyone else over at the Zelda boards if you have questions. If she doesn't work out for you, that's okay. She's not for everyone. What's your play style, if you don't mind me asking?

DoubleM10

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2511-7689-2504
My play style is aggressive. Why I really like Pikachu. Fast enough to stay on top of a player.

When I play MewTwo I'm a little more disciplined.

I try to do the same with Pikachu. Not usually easy

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Okay I get where you're coming from. Zelda requires a more disciplined play style. She's a bait-and-punish character. You have to lean on defensive play but always be ready to punish with her thru grabs, Phantom, aerials, etc.

For the duration I've played the series, I am an aggressive player. However, I usually find myself playing on autopilot. I always have had a hard time reading my opponents. I know my characters' moves well and use them decently offensively. However, it's very easy to punish me because I always leave myself open to getting punished. My overly aggressive play can lead to some dumb mistakes.I'm trying to become a more strategical and smart player in this game, and Zelda is definitely helping with that. I've been making steady progress every day.

I always liked having speed and fast offensive moves on my side like you seem to. I always love getting in my opponents quickly, mixing up a few quick moves, and so on. It seems you are the same way.

I have not played Mewtwo before, but I do know he's a glass cannon and requires someone to be disciplined like you said. Zelda's kinda like that, although discipline is more crucial because she's a victim to combo characters once people get in on her. It's also difficult for her to come back down to the stage since she's so floaty. She can be a harsh victim to juggling as a result.

Zelda is a character that requires patience, and waiting for the right times to punish your opponent.

Last edited:

Thatonehelper

Smash Cadet
I recommend that you play who you like. If you don't like a character it is very difficult to force yourself to use, practice, and improve with that character.

In general people pick a secondary to cover their characters weaknesses and bad match ups.

A very common pick for pikachu mains are top tiers, especially characters who have range. Since pikachu lacks in range, a good zoning character is usually a good pick.

Here are some of my personal examples,
Melee: pick marth, falco, fox, or sheik to have more stage presence
Brawl: meta knight to counter icies and olimar
Smash 4: marth, lucina, cloud, bayonetta, mewtwo, corrin, or sheik to deal with Mario and ness

DoubleM10

Smash Rookie
Switch FC
SW-2511-7689-2504
Yeah that makes sense. This weekend i was able to play against some good swords players and Mewtwo came through well. So he will be my pick.

Aussie1024

Switch FC
SW-8059-8133-1521
Great to hear! I'm glad you had some success with him. Best of luck going forward

Codebox

Smash Apprentice
Pikachu is a fast hit and run character that can also be played defensively. Sword characters do well with Pika because they compensate for lack of range in some areas (they also do give him trouble as well, or can if he doesn't gimp them) Mewtwo is a good pick as well. Any swordy or defensive character is nice really. Zelda isn't a bad pick either and Pikachu compensates her weaknesses too. Peach is also another choice I'd go with.

Top Bottom