• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary for Doc?

Trashman

Smash Rookie
As a relatively new Doc main, I've enjoyed him enough to realize that he is the character that I want to make my best. However, there are some matchups that I've realized that, even with a bunch of experience and practice in the matchup, can be insurmountable at times (i.e. Marth, Shiek).

That being said, what does the Doc community believe a good secondary is to cover his bad matchups?
Any help is appreciated :bee:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
As a relatively new Doc main, I've enjoyed him enough to realize that he is the character that I want to make my best. However, there are some matchups that I've realized that, even with a bunch of experience and practice in the matchup, can be insurmountable at times (i.e. Marth, Shiek).

That being said, what does the Doc community believe a good secondary is to cover his bad matchups?
Any help is appreciated :bee:
Tbh... Those are tough match ups but they are beatable... I've played a against Marth a million times and trust me Marth is beatable... I have less experience with sheik but tbh it's not as bad as u think .... U have a chain grab on her and with some good spacing you can beat her. Just don't get grabbed and you're fine.

Now I'm struggling with falcon and more so Falco and i am getting better at the match up I started looking into different characters.... My counter pick is pichu and I doubt you're going to do that. I choose pichu because of his mobility small size and gimp power and tbh pichu just feels natural to me and that's why pichu is my secondary secret weapon.

For you I suggest Marth or shiek as your secondary because they are the most similar high tiers to Mario. But really you want to find another character that you simply feel comfortable with. I tried learning sheik as a secondary but I just couldn't do well with her because to me she just doesn't feel right and it's impossible for me too do well in tournament with her for that reason.

In the end here's the main thing you need to understand.... Don't let a stupid thing like "oh sheik has a 7-3 match up on doc I'll never beat her" get in the way of your play. That's what we call a mental block... I had a mental block on Falco and I could never hear him at the time.

Just don't think that way and you'll be fine..... Fight the PLAYER not the CHARACTER

Last edited:

Trashman

Smash Rookie
Brilliant response, I think you were right. My mindset going into it is wrong. I'll just try and outthink and play the opponent in the match ups I'm not good at, and that's the only way I'll get better with him.

On the other hand, I have a fairly strong Cap. Falcon, so I may bring him out for Falcon dittos because I feel I have a pretty good grasp on that matchup. Both of my characters get rocked by Falco anyways, so I have to learn to play that matchup better and smarter regardless.

Thanks for the input!

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Falco is such a frustrating match up... I know how you feel... those lasers are the most annoying thing on the planet and Imo falco is more BS than meta knight. You just have to learn how to deal with the lasers.

Any every falco at my skill level or lower will do this:
Spam lasers
if you shield
they laser approach and try to grab or tech skill you
if you approach they laser you and follow up
or
spam tech skill
in which case you either up-b, grab, wavedash away, or up-b cancel out of it, maybe even n-air or up-air out of shield

Answer:
at least what I have so far is pick a stage with platforms and use the platforms to get around the lasers... doc's platform movement and spacing game is really good and you should abuse it as much as possible
For me personally, i feel very comfortable on yoshi's story because of the way the paltforms are spaced, I feel they perfectly compliment doc's movement. I usually try to take falco to either yoshi's, pokemon, or dreamland. For captain falcon I wouldn't know... I imagine the same thing would apply but maybe different stages.

You'll learn the match up over time. They more you play the better you'll get at it. That's why I'm very knowledgeable about the Marth match up because I've played against Marth at least 1,000 times.

Last edited:

Trashman

Smash Rookie
I think I'll try Falco, because I've always been a fan of his play style and approach options. I'll still make it my primary goal to work on the matchup against Falco, though.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

Top Bottom