• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Characters for Zara Mains?!

Christhewolf63

Smash Cadet
  • Charizard is a awesome character he has a lot of strengths but also a couple of big weaknesses (Mainly Projectiles *pk Fire is he'll incarnate*) is there any secondary characters I should look into to cover Charz's shortcomings?

LavaLatte

Smash Cadet
From what I've heard from other Zard mains, Metaknight and Mewtwo seem to be popular. =P

Oatmeal.

Part of a balanced breakfast.
I personally second G&W, but you're best bets are probably Mewtwo or Ganondorf.

Christhewolf63

Smash Cadet
I ended up maining Meta Knight on the side before I checked back on the thread! Thanks guys

QuincyJones

Smash Rookie
I second Wolf to apply immense amount of pressure on those campy men who like to abuse Zard's giant hurtbox with projectiles. Also reflector is amusing when used for its intended purpose.

Last edited:

Blank Mauser

Smash Champion
Lately I've been pretty much picking Charizard for my first match in every set, and if they counterpick me to FD or another similar flat stage I assume they will be camping me and switch to Fox/Pit. Been working out pretty well tbh.

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
So, I think I finally figured out how I want to play. I will main Charizard for my first matches unless it is clear they are picking a spammy projectile character. If I lose the first match or blow out the first match, I will switch to marth (my previous main) or squirtle (my secondary) depending on the enemy. I feel that with this combo, I can get a good matchup against any character.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
So, I think I finally figured out how I want to play. I will main Charizard for my first matches unless it is clear they are picking a spammy projectile character. If I lose the first match or blow out the first match, I will switch to marth (my previous main) or squirtle (my secondary) depending on the enemy. I feel that with this combo, I can get a good matchup against any character.
Aww man, you should stick with Zard even with spammy MU's. Despite them being hard for him, he has amazing tools for those MU's and learning a tough MU means that you don't have to forfeit a game 1 to beat your opponent. PM is a match up heavy game, so there's no way to really get around it, lose game 1, character counter pick to win game 2, then you get counter picked to lose game 3. Learn those hard MU's! (Plus learning bad MU's makes you better than winning an easier one :p)

menotyou135

Smash Journeyman
Aww man, you should stick with Zard even with spammy MU's. Despite them being hard for him, he has amazing tools for those MU's and learning a tough MU means that you don't have to forfeit a game 1 to beat your opponent. PM is a match up heavy game, so there's no way to really get around it, lose game 1, character counter pick to win game 2, then you get counter picked to lose game 3. Learn those hard MU's! (Plus learning bad MU's makes you better than winning an easier one :p)
Yeah, but I still like using Marth and Squirtle a lot. I have been rotating between these 3 (plus roy) for my main since I started playing PM so I still want to use them. Plus Marth is my main in melee so it isn't like I don't already have to practice him.

Heroofhatz

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, but I still like using Marth and Squirtle a lot. I have been rotating between these 3 (plus roy) for my main since I started playing PM so I still want to use them. Plus Marth is my main in melee so it isn't like I don't already have to practice him.
Fair enough :p
Marth plays a lot like Zard anyway so it's a pretty close secondary.

Top Bottom