• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondary Character for Roy

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
Hey all, hopefully this wasn't posted anywhere else.

I main Roy, and am interested in joining my local competitive scene. That being said, it is no lie that Roy has trouble against the top tiers such as ZSS and Sheik. What character would you all suggest as a secondary to cover these weaknesses? I was considering Greninja, but I know next to nothing about the character. Halp ; ;

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
Pikachu works really well with Roy, however they're much better as a dual main vs secondarying one or the other. I'd need to know your specific weaknesses and strength to know what you should do, however.

Goobgoyle

Smash Cadet
NNID
RWolffe
3DS FC
3394-3566-2944
I am fairly good at a bait-punish game, and am also relatively good at conditioning my opponent to do certain things. I suppose those would be my notable strengths. My weaknesses... I cannot play defensively and have a HUGE issue with actually killing my opponent with Roy.

BlazinSatan

Smash Rookie
NNID
xxSaintStabZxx
I would recommend Cloud. He has good ariel mobility and an exelent off stage game, let alone his ground game.

Jenna Zant

Smash Journeyman
I am fairly good at a bait-punish game, and am also relatively good at conditioning my opponent to do certain things. I suppose those would be my notable strengths. My weaknesses... I cannot play defensively and have a HUGE issue with actually killing my opponent with Roy.
Sorry for the late response.
If you're really good at bait-punish, MK or Fox might be pretty good, although from my understanding it takes effort to kill with Fox and MK. Cloud also is a good option. Pikachu could work, but he's not really bait-punish.

Friendly_Fire

Smash Cadet
NNID
TheFriendlyFire
Pit/Dark Pit. Excels at matchups where Roy would normally get gimped, excellent combo game, a good projectile in Pit and a solid kill option in Dark Pit. They also have stupid good offstage game, allowing you to go extremely deep offstage for an edgeguard and still make it back.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
Dude just pick a high tier. Cloud is the best pick for you I think since he is a high tier sword character and all. This really didn't need it's own thread though.

LEGOfan12

Smash Journeyman
NNID
LEGOfan12
3DS FC
3007-8664-3561
I'd say Cloud, Pit/Dark Pit, or maybe Link.

DarkDeity15

Smash Lord
NNID
DarkDeityLink015
I'd say Cloud, Pit/Dark Pit, or maybe Link.
Link covers some of Roy's bad MUs but there really wouldn't be much benefit since he still struggles a lot against most high/top tiers and has a very high learning curve. He does well against Rosa, Falcon, Sonic and Cloud though.

Last edited:

Stafuu

Smash Rookie
NNID
stafuu
Cloud or Pit, Dont know why but they come natural to me after i toyed with Roy in Melee and Sm4sh, Cloud just seems like a really nice beefed up roy to me.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Originally I was a Mario/Shulk duel main but dropped Shulk for Roy for frame data. I personally picked him up not only for consistency but the Rosa, Luigi, and Yoshi MU as well as a general CP character because you couldn't really use Shulk as a CP. You can see Ally tried Shulk vs Nairo and got bopped lol. Even if Roy loses some of those MUs I listed he's better then Mario in them.

So I'm gonna say Mario. He'll be easy to get in to and be even more successful if you dual main them. Plus they both have fire ^0^

Top Bottom