• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
I need a secondary for Marth I had 3 characters in mind 1. Sheik 2. Falco 3. Ganon. NB4 Ganon is a Falcon clone I don't care I like him more than Falcon.

Edit: I am open to suggestions as long as they're tournament viable

Last edited:

AirFair

Marth tho
If you are just starting out, I wouldn't recommend a secondary for tournament.

I think one of the best secondaries for marth is fox tho. Falco is good too, but fox.

Sabre

Smash Apprentice
Writing Team
Perhaps it's personal bias since it's what I do, but I've actually found puff to be a pretty good secondary for marth. If played correctly, you become very difficult to counterpick with stages and characters, and can often counterpick opponents for favorable or at least even matchups.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Marth shouldn't need a secondary in theory, and most of the Marths that use another character actually dual-main the other character. This is in order to not ultimately have a crutch where you rely on, let's say, match-up advantage, and this is to help them figure out what to do in the various match-ups and what to do against the various players because Marth has all of the necessary tools to win in any scenario even if it's not to his full advantage like for Fox.

That being said, in order to decide on a secondary, you need to identify on which match-ups or which factors of your sets is giving you the most trouble, and from there, you can choose the character that covers them the best (or at least close to). This is inherently different from picking dual-mains because they focus on covering each other as a whole and require much more dedication with theoretically higher payout at upper-levels.

In regards to your ideas on a secondary, Sheik would probably be your best bet since she is less technically demanding than other good characters and has the tools to cover any match-ups whether at an advantage or not (she still has tech though, so you will have to practice her still). Falco is more going into dual-main territory while Sheik can do either route. Falcon may be a hard character to use as a secondary rather than as a dual-main like I would advise, he still is a better choice in terms of coverage, but if you like Ganon more, just make absolute sure that you have good movement with him first otherwise he's not that great in the first place.

There are other ideas, but really other than Sheik, Puff would be next because of theoretical match-up coverage and being less technically demanding. Icies is too hard to not main or at least dual-main, Peach may theoretically work but still requires much work in order to become absolutely amazing, and Fox needs to be a dual-main at least or a main. As for other characters like mid-tiers, that's dependent on personal preference and what the character can specifically do.

Hope this helps for you in deciding on what to do.

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
Marth shouldn't need a secondary in theory, and most of the Marths that use another character actually dual-main the other character. This is in order to not ultimately have a crutch where you rely on, let's say, match-up advantage, and this is to help them figure out what to do in the various match-ups and what to do against the various players because Marth has all of the necessary tools to win in any scenario even if it's not to his full advantage like for Fox.

That being said, in order to decide on a secondary, you need to identify on which match-ups or which factors of your sets is giving you the most trouble, and from there, you can choose the character that covers them the best (or at least close to). This is inherently different from picking dual-mains because they focus on covering each other as a whole and require much more dedication with theoretically higher payout at upper-levels.

In regards to your ideas on a secondary, Sheik would probably be your best bet since she is less technically demanding than other good characters and has the tools to cover any match-ups whether at an advantage or not (she still has tech though, so you will have to practice her still). Falco is more going into dual-main territory while Sheik can do either route. Falcon may be a hard character to use as a secondary rather than as a dual-main like I would advise, he still is a better choice in terms of coverage, but if you like Ganon more, just make absolute sure that you have good movement with him first otherwise he's not that great in the first place.

There are other ideas, but really other than Sheik, Puff would be next because of theoretical match-up coverage and being less technically demanding. Icies is too hard to not main or at least dual-main, Peach may theoretically work but still requires much work in order to become absolutely amazing, and Fox needs to be a dual-main at least or a main. As for other characters like mid-tiers, that's dependent on personal preference and what the character can specifically do.

Hope this helps for you in deciding on what to do.
I've just been having trouble against very solid Sheiks, peaches, and spacies. I'll probably consider dual maining fox or falco I just don't know if I can move fast enough for fox.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
I've just been having trouble against very solid Sheiks, peaches, and spacies. I'll probably consider dual maining fox or falco I just don't know if I can move fast enough for fox.
Okay, now I need to say a few things here. Based on what you are saying, you're having trouble against most of the common tournament characters in the first place if they are even in skill or better than you, correct? I'm guessing that you are also new to this game competitively? If so, this is more of an indication that you need more experience in the match-ups and more optimization on your punishes. Marth does have all of the tools, but he is also a very fundamentals based character with his spacing capabilities. So if the player is less experienced, he or she will not get the immediate reward from Marth. I say in this situation, you should just keep on practicing and taking opportunities to gain more experience in matches and sets overall because Marth has this gap in reward from the very beginning levels to the upper levels. It's for the journey to achieve the high level and get the grand payoff and sense of achievement.

However, if you still want to use another character, those are good options, but don't think that you won't be fast enough for Fox when you already play a very mobile character already, just keep at it.

Gearitz

Smash Apprentice
Okay, now I need to say a few things here. Based on what you are saying, you're having trouble against most of the common tournament characters in the first place if they are even in skill or better than you, correct? I'm guessing that you are also new to this game competitively? If so, this is more of an indication that you need more experience in the match-ups and more optimization on your punishes. Marth does have all of the tools, but he is also a very fundamentals based character with his spacing capabilities. So if the player is less experienced, he or she will not get the immediate reward from Marth. I say in this situation, you should just keep on practicing and taking opportunities to gain more experience in matches and sets overall because Marth has this gap in reward from the very beginning levels to the upper levels. It's for the journey to achieve the high level and get the grand payoff and sense of achievement.

However, if you still want to use another character, those are good options, but don't think that you won't be fast enough for Fox when you already play a very mobile character already, just keep at it.
I've been playing for two months against friends and one week competitively I'm training for the frame perfect series in my city. I just want someone who counter Peach's projectiles and the sheik I tend to play against are a little ahead of me in skill but I also want someone who has a more favorable match up against her.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
I've been playing for two months against friends and one week competitively I'm training for the frame perfect series in my city. I just want someone who counter Peach's projectiles and the sheik I tend to play against are a little ahead of me in skill but I also want someone who has a more favorable match up against her.
I've been playing for almost 5 months now and almost everybody around me bodies me regularly. This includes 1 smash fest a week for the last month or so. Don't expect to get good super fast. Also, Marth is theoretically one of Peach's worst MUs, and the Sheik MU is more than doable.

RetroGamersGuru

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroGamersGuru
Yeah, it will seem difficult for a while due to Marth's tendency to have the reward gap. Sheik annoys everyone and I mean everyone, including another Sheik. It's easier suddenly look like you've become good at the game due to the fact that she's slightly easier to optimize than on average for characters. Just keep at it and learn how to beat her since just going to her bad match-ups is going to beat beat by the Sheik player breaking you down as a player along with using the tools that help Sheik win the match-up anyways. Peach is wins her matches against Marth because of the turnips and being tricky with the float capabilities, otherwise Marth goes toe to toe with her or outclasses her in different areas. Take control of the stage and make it unsafe for the Peach to even pull a turnip.

Falco is cool though, so you decide if you want to use Marth more or just dual-main.

FE_Hector

Smash Lord
Falco is cool though, so you decide if you want to use Marth more or just dual-main.
This is pretty much what I'm doing right now. I've got a Falco in the lab that I'm working up, but Marth is my main right now. However, my ultimate goal is a dual-main situation. I figure once I get consistent placings in locals, I'll take a month or two to just focus on my Falco. Then again, I could always use my bro for that.

Top Bottom