• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries?

Wigglybear

Smash Rookie
NNID
wigglybear100
Hello! I've been playing this game for a while now and i think after some getting use to Olimar is still solid, just not godly like before. However i feel like some match ups against faster characters is just too much for this new lag filled Olimar to handle. Any ideas on secondaries to handle this? * I have been using captain falcon quite a lot now

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Hello! I've been playing this game for a while now and i think after some getting use to Olimar is still solid, just not godly like before. However i feel like some match ups against faster characters is just too much for this new lag filled Olimar to handle. Any ideas on secondaries to handle this? * I have been using captain falcon quite a lot now
I play Duck Hunt as my secondary, as most of his projectiles can stop fast characters from approaching. I think if you pick a secondary it should be someone who can try to halt any quick approaches and force them in certain situations. Samus and Toon Link are good choices but more so Toon Link as you can move around more freely.

Last edited:

Boomuki

Smash Cadet
NNID
BooMuki
3DS FC
0963-0043-6790
I have a similar problem. There are just some matchups that are really hard for Olimar, I especially get big problems against good Mega Man, Peach or Sonic. Don't know who would be the best secondary for Olimar mains, but for now I use Captain Falcon as you do.

Ultra-Platinum

Smash Rookie
NNID
GrandScenarios
I play Wario along with Olimar and I feel that Wario has an easier time with some of the faster characters that can give Olimar trouble.

Valand43

Smash Rookie
As uncommon as it will sound for my first secondary, I play Falco when it comes to fast characters that like to rush me down. Usually if the person is just always running in, I throw out reflector so it makes them trip.....kind of a mind game thing but do it enough times and it really demoralizes people. If not, I'll just hop on Shulk and safely space out their rushdown with the Monado's range.

JJtheDragon

Smash Rookie
NNID
JJtheDragon
3DS FC
0216-0918-4359
My second is Bowser Jr., and he deals with Olimar's harder matchups surprisingly well. He has a lot of options to deal with the speedier guys.

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I don't have a secondary, but It is necessary to have a secondary? I think I would play Link just because, but I don't believe it's a good secondary for Olimar main.

WarioWaft

Smash Apprentice
I play Wario along with Olimar and I feel that Wario has an easier time with some of the faster characters that can give Olimar trouble.
I'm the opposite lol.
I main Wario and use Olimar/Duck Hunt as my #2.

Wario is decent medium length away, not long range. Olimar and Duck Hunt are great long range, but Olimar is one of the best close quarters characters I've used. Because his smash attacks are so fast, up close they're very dangerous especially because Oli's hurt box is so small.

Liwi808

Smash Cadet
My main is Luigi and I use Oli as my secondary. Luigi does great up close, and has great early percent combos, but is easily camped out by characters like Rosa/Megaman. Olimar is good at breaking campers and forcing them to approach, as well as gimping their projectiles hard. I think the two compliment each other nicely.

Last edited:

extremecoopster

Smash Cadet
NNID
kittykat2
I play Duck Hunt as my secondary, as most of his projectiles can stop fast characters from approaching. I think if you pick a secondary it should be someone who can try to halt any quick approaches and force them in certain situations. Samus and Toon Link are good choices but more so Toon Link as you can move around more freely.
Yes! Both Toon Link and Duck Hunt are my secondaries! This is a good choice!

Last edited:

koken

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Kokenz
I am trying to practice with Marth as my secondary. What do you think about this? It is a bad choice?

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
R.O.B.? I mean, like Olimar, he has a bunch of projectiles and long range-ish smashes. Plus, his down-special and side special is pretty neat to use against fast people.

Last edited:

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
I've always used Greninja as my secondary for Olimar. They have very different tools and play styles, so I figured they support each other well enough. Obviously this isn't optimal, especially considering Greninja's questionable viability, but just thought I would share. I'm also considering Luigi as a secondary, just because of how good he is.

Kon

Smash Journeyman
I use Mario as my secondary. Mario is great for not being easily comboed and he has great combo-possibilities. Also I like the invincibility during his upsmash and his up b. I feel like Mario does better against the fast characters I have troubles with Alph. I feel like in general Mario is very good and therefore a good choice to help out with bad MUs.

Top Bottom