• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Villager

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
I love playing Villager and he's a great character, but it's pretty obvious he has some pretty big blind spots and extremely bad matchups against some characters. What are some good secondary characters to learn that are good against the characters Villager is bad against? I was looking at Game & Watch, Little Mac or Roy, as having good disjoints or speed can be good against characters like Rosalina or Sonic who are tough for Villager.

Also general secondaries thread, should be useful for everyone.

Last edited:

MillionGoldMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
MillGoldMan
3DS FC
4699-8722-4893
I love playing Villager and he's a great character, but it's pretty obvious he has some pretty big blind spots and extremely bad matchups against some characters. What are some good secondary characters to learn that are good against the characters Villager is bad against? I was looking at Game & Watch, Little Mac or Roy, as having good disjoints or speed can be good against characters like Rosalina or Sonic who are tough for Villager.

Also general secondaries thread, should be useful for everyone.
I actually do secondary LM. He is great at being a combination between Defensive and rush down. He can help with match ups which are bad because of blocking projectiles, since Little Mac is a non projectile character, obviously

I also think shulk is great for certain match ups, as well. I just don't have much time to explain right now, so I will edit later

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Out of the three you picked i would say Little Mac as Roy is brand new and I don't think Game and Watch would cover any of Villagers bad matchups.

Honestly though i don't think Little Mac is even a good choice for backup if you are trying to cover weaknesses...

TR33

Smash Cadet
NNID
Pandaguy719
Tbh and as a disclaimer, I don't feel little mac has any place in competitive smash. However, that's a topic for a different thread in and of itself. The character I use when looking at m/u spreads, as I perceive them, is Pikachu.
I don't like having to change from villager and usually don't even if I'm facing a bad m/u specifically because I love this character but, I have a pocket pika because
a. he's fun to pilot, and
b. I consider the following characters bad or at least not really fun m/u's: Shiek, Pikachu, Mega Man, Fox, Falco, Rosa, Pal.

again this is just how I perceive it, and I'm sure there are other m/u's I might be forgetting. Or one's that you may consider harder or easier out of player preference, but I find that pikachu either beats or at least runs a better chance than villager in these.
As a second disclaimer I don't like playing against characters with good reflecters, I do anyway and I know how to play around them, but I personally have a player bias against these going into the m/u.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Tinkerer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2251-4736-2935
It's not necessarily a place in competitive smash, considering if left up to many people Villager really doesn't have it outside of doubles (or, possibly, customs), either. Pikachu is a good suggestion though.

The reason I mentioned G&W and Roy is because of their big, multi-hitting disjoints, which I find help a lot against rushdown characters and defensive ones (like Rosa, hitting her through the Luma). It's also why the Shulk suggestion makes sense, as he has the biggest disjoint in the game.

PyroBandit

Smash Cadet
If it helps, I secondary Yoshi and do a pretty good job at covering Villager's bad matchups with him. His great mobility and big hitboxes seem to help against Rosa and Sheik.

Although Roy would probably get the job done too, along with Pikachu.

Mtn64

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Mtnn64
3DS FC
4742-5103-9358
I actually secondary Pacman.
Pac seems able to deal with Sheik and Yoshi fine which are my main problems as a Villager main. He also doesn't have as much trouble as Villy dealing with Megaman, though it's still not a favorable MU.
Thinking on a third for Rosa and Sonic..

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
If Roy turns out to be half as good as people think he will be, he is probably going to kick the cap out of rosa and sonic.

Top Bottom