• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Toon Link?

Clorox 9

Smash Rookie
Which characters do you guys find cover Toon Link's bad match-ups the best? I play Fox and Falcon in Melee, both of which transfer fairly well to PM. I usually struggle against fast rush-down characters. Do you guys think Fox/Falcon is good for secondaries or are any other characters you guys would recommend I pick up?

Girth94

Smash Cadet
I have a pocket Charizard and Ike, but I play them because they're fun. Tink's biggest weaknesses are lack of range, inability to really pressure shields in the traditional sense, an inability to deal with pressure/tech chase situations, and he's combo food once you touch him. I'm thinking Marth, Samus, or Fox might be good options to cover his weaknesses.

Marth's got good range and deals with tech chase situations and pressure decently. Samus is hard to combo, has up-b out of shield, has missiles, and has that stupid recovery. Fox has an awesome neutral and can both pressure shields and deal with pressure. If you have a Fox, I'd say go for it.

2rad

Smash Rookie
Marth is always good as a secondary.
Luigi also works well for me because his physics are workable and he's fun, but his tech is weird so he takes some dedication.

Also, 3.5 Tink is much better at sheild pressure, tech chasing, and range than 3.02 Tink. Consider learning how to use the changes in his moveset to diversify your playstyle.

Dapaulo99

Smash Rookie
Toon Link is more of a secondary for me rn since I only started using him recently but I personally use him alongside sonic, diddy, and Mario. Mario's really well rounded so he can be adapted to beat pretty much any playstyle and character. U could use sonic and try to out rush-down the rush-downers. Or use diddys bananas to try to slip them up and interrupt their fast pace

FPSWalrus

Smash Ace
NNID
TehKingOfWalrus
i just second rob because gimping spacies is fun
also toon link is really decent in 3.6
downthrow is gooooood

mimgrim

Smash Hero
Ok so Tink's worse MUs are heavy DD users able to quickly get in on Tink to keep him from pulling a Bomb and threaten his air-space really bad (so Fox, Falco, Wolf, Falcon, and MK) and character who in general can threaten his air space pretty bad and gimp him easily and generally out range him can be pretty bad too (Marth, Sheik as examples). So you want someone who can play against these types of characters pretty well. I've been working on MK (Dislike the Tink ditto so him beating Tink is cool for and I enjoy the MK ditto) but I could see Lucas being a good pick as well. You could also play any of Fox/Falco/Wolf as long as you don't mind doing the ditto. Marth could be a good choice as well and you don't necessarily have to play the ditto with Marth as long as your Tink is super on point (it is just a frustrating and very uphill match for Tink). Roy is probably still a solid pick in 3.6 since he most likely still goes even with Tink and can do good against those characters Tink dislikes a lot.

There are a lot of potential possibilities for a secondary for Tink. Personally I'm going with MK and with how my region is filled with the characters Tink hates to play against I might just end up moving Tink to secondary status instead lol.

Top Bottom