• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Secondaries for Roy?

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Hey, i play Roy in PM, and was interested as to what peoples secondaries are, either in general, or in the cases of covering roy's bad MU's.

Thanks all!

Vandire

Smash Cadet
I have odd A** secondaries that arent even close to Roy (not counting Marth)

Bowser, Wolf, Ganon, and sometimes Wario.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
It's interesting since there are so many possibilities for viable secondaries. Roy most noticeably suffers against strong crouch cancel, as well as floaties and projectile users. It's hard to say cause I think it really varies person to person for what they personally hate MU-wise.

My most go-to character besides roy is definitely Marth followed by falco occasionally. For Marth his aerial and onstage mobility couple with his similar dashdance - grab - punish playstyle make it a really easy transition. I personally find i do a lot better against floaties or semi floaties like kirby, peach, luigi, or mario due to better mobility and zoning (along with tipper spacing of course). Falco's just really good against those that can be locked down by lasers. Pair that with his shine he can also deal with heavy CC and combo pretty well.

I'm not sure what other peoples opinions on good secondaries would be. I'm sure it depends a lot more on personal hated MU's more than anything.

I know i have a lot of hated MU's like (despite some of them not being awful Roy MUs) ::link2::kirby2::falcon::charizard::luigi2::mario2::sonic::sheik::peach::zerosuitsamus::rob::ivysaur::dk2::squirtle:

While i know a lot of Roy's actually enjoy some of those more than me and hate other MU's like (even though some like DDD, bowser, jiggs, and samus dont bother me as much as some of the above listed chars)::dedede: :bowser2::fox::falco::lucario::marth::yoshi2::zelda::gw::samus2::snake::toonlink::jigglypuff:

Overall though, some options (all over the board) i've seen people say their secondaries for roy include: :falco::fox::wolf::mario2::marth::ike::ivysaur::sheik::samus2::ganondorf::toonlink::link2::falcon::diddy:

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
For some reason, i screw around with Snake and Mewtwo in Pm, what are your opinions on them?

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
It's interesting since there are so many possibilities for viable secondaries. Roy most noticeably suffers against strong crouch cancel, as well as floaties and projectile users. It's hard to say cause I think it really varies person to person for what they personally hate MU-wise.

My most go-to character besides roy is definitely Marth followed by falco occasionally. For Marth his aerial and onstage mobility couple with his similar dashdance - grab - punish playstyle make it a really easy transition. I personally find i do a lot better against floaties or semi floaties like kirby, peach, luigi, or mario due to better mobility and zoning (along with tipper spacing of course). Falco's just really good against those that can be locked down by lasers. Pair that with his shine he can also deal with heavy CC and combo pretty well.

I'm not sure what other peoples opinions on good secondaries would be. I'm sure it depends a lot more on personal hated MU's more than anything.

I know i have a lot of hated MU's like (despite some of them not being awful Roy MUs) ::link2::kirby2::falcon::charizard::luigi2::mario2::sonic::sheik::peach::zerosuitsamus::rob::ivysaur::dk2::squirtle:

While i know a lot of Roy's actually enjoy some of those more than me and hate other MU's like (even though some like DDD, bowser, jiggs, and samus dont bother me as much as some of the above listed chars)::dedede: :bowser2::fox::falco::lucario::marth::yoshi2::zelda::gw::samus2::snake::toonlink::jigglypuff:

Overall though, some options (all over the board) i've seen people say their secondaries for roy include: :falco::fox::wolf::mario2::marth::ike::ivysaur::sheik::samus2::ganondorf::toonlink::link2::falcon::diddy:
i might have to actually disagree with the statement that roy suffers against floaties. roy covers space so well in the air (and navigates so quickly in the air as well, vertically) that he is able to cover a lot of space and keep opponents in juggle for a long time. additionally, many of his main conversions in neutral pop opponents into the air (dtilt, ftilt tip, grabs), and he actually is one of few characters that can actually get guaranteed kill combos on floaties, with things like dair > bair, tip uair > fsmash, and dtilt > neutral b. characters like m2 and samus are comfortably in roys favor in my experience, while others like kirby, peach, ness, and jiggs are probably closer to even, if not maybe a tad in roys favor. the only floaties that i really see as a threat to roy are yoshi and zard (although i zards a little less floaty than the ones i mentioned). those two can really threaten the space that roy normally performs best in. yoshi is near impossible to combo, and dtilt is very very effective against roy, especially since he is heavy and will CC him for awhile. yoshi also possesses a great pressure game through spaced tail attacks, multi-hit attacks, his DJC cancel, and a nair and fair that are both safe on shield. zards ground and aerial coverage is generally superb to roy, and his ground speed is also faster, and his aerial mobility is far better. he can also KO very reliable on all four sides of the screen, with some of those being spaced attacks too (side b, nair, bair). the only one im unsure of is luigi, who i have very little MU experience against, although I cant see it being stacked too much in one of their favors.

but i do agree in that roy suffers from strong CC games. the DK MU is pretty notable and pretty widely considered to be against roy.

characters that i feel compliment roy well as secondaries are zelda/shiek, peach, tink, and maybe even DDD (i think DDD is seriously underated in this version). sheik and peach are to cover MUs where great edguarding is much more of a factor in addition to the CC problem. (peach takes out DK pretty well and shiek does well against zard). tink is a versatile solution to roys bad MUs, as i believe that tink is gonna be high tier in this version and does great in a wide variety of MUs. DDD is a good answer to characters where roy struggles in the area of recovering, but youre allowed to maintain insane disjoint and space control. DDD really just suffers against insanely mobile characters (CF, ZSS, fox) at least in my experience, and thrives very well against spacing characters. one notable MU that i feel isnt so easy for roy, but is a lot easier for DDD is the ivysaur MU. ivy has a good CC game with tilt and dsmash, and an unbelievable edguard game. ivy also has many ways to combo into kills on roy, that can kill him pretty early. DDD has one of the best survivablities in the game however, with his heavy weight (3rd heaviest), and easily top 5 best recoveries in the game (along with peach, jiggs, kirby, and m2). his waddle dees, ftilt, jab, and grab can really shut down the space that ivysaur thrives in.

Azureflames

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-0132-7109-3630
i might have to actually disagree with the statement that roy suffers against floaties. roy covers space so well in the air (and navigates so quickly in the air as well, vertically) that he is able to cover a lot of space and keep opponents in juggle for a long time. additionally, many of his main conversions in neutral pop opponents into the air (dtilt, ftilt tip, grabs), and he actually is one of few characters that can actually get guaranteed kill combos on floaties, with things like dair > bair, tip uair > fsmash, and dtilt > neutral b. characters like m2 and samus are comfortably in roys favor in my experience, while others like kirby, peach, ness, and jiggs are probably closer to even, if not maybe a tad in roys favor. the only floaties that i really see as a threat to roy are yoshi and zard (although i zards a little less floaty than the ones i mentioned). those two can really threaten the space that roy normally performs best in. yoshi is near impossible to combo, and dtilt is very very effective against roy, especially since he is heavy and will CC him for awhile. yoshi also possesses a great pressure game through spaced tail attacks, multi-hit attacks, his DJC cancel, and a nair and fair that are both safe on shield. zards ground and aerial coverage is generally superb to roy, and his ground speed is also faster, and his aerial mobility is far better. he can also KO very reliable on all four sides of the screen, with some of those being spaced attacks too (side b, nair, bair). the only one im unsure of is luigi, who i have very little MU experience against, although I cant see it being stacked too much in one of their favors.
Maybe i should've implied the floaties statement to a more personal feel than a general consensus feel. Though tbh i have heard a lot of mixed opinions on floaties and roy MU's. Especially on characters like samus as well as peach and zelda. I Personally just have a rough time finding the windows and executing those kind of combos at the right time. As a result i chip off too much percent and they're left with too much damage to keep in combo, making them in a pseudo marth percent if you will. yoshi and zard are awful to play against. especially zard from my experience, you already covered the reasons lol.

As for luigi i find it to be more evenish but you can't combo in the same way due to fast acting nair breaking possible combos. i always find i need to play a little safer cause ill see some luigi's punish a hard commit by me with a yolo side-b in hopes for the super missile, which really throws me off sometimes lol. The MU seems a lot more of a 1-hit >2-hit> zone kind of game sometimes.

Ill reiterate on all this talk by me that it's more of a personal thing with floaties as they're not unbeatable but they stress me out more for some reason as roy. I doubt it's a character thing and more of a playstyle flaw where i overcommit to something unsafe or i play like a scrub and throw hitboxes out "just cause" when im under pressure and not thinking well enough. I find it a lot easier to zone and punish as marth in MU's like m2, kirby, peach, ness, jiggs, zelda, or rob... so i usually switch over to marth as my backup to handle it. Good to know though on those guarenteed kill combos ...Been in the process of reevaluating my game so that definitely helps to know.

Last edited:

Binary Clone

Easy Money since 1994
Premium
Roy destroys some floaties and struggles with others - I don't think there's a clear-cut distinction that can be generalized just for floaties. D3 and Luigi, for example, are really obnoxious MUs for Roy (from personal experience and input from Sethlon, I can go into details if you want), but many people consider MUs like Peach and Zelda to be favorable.

In some ways, your secondary choice does come down to the matchups you struggle with and what secondaries you enjoy. I secondary Wolf and Captain Falcon right now, but not for any strategic reason - I just like playing with them. That said, the Ivy MU and the ROB MU are much easier for Captain Falcon. If you struggle with a lot of floaty MUs, or there are a lot of floaties in your area that give you a hard time, maybe that's a good choice.

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Though I understand why you feel the need to have a secondary, as Sethlon has proven in almost every matchup you can encounter, Roy can cover all the bases. You just have to remember what is a bad MU for Roy and why, and adjust for when it arrives. Just like against Jiggly, you can't take as much risks against her, and avoid getting caught in up-tilts and know how to DI.
I personally think it's better just to learn what those problems he has, and learn to adjust instead of taking the extra work to learn a new character. I just think the learning of a new character to cover your bases is just not worth the effort.

Last edited:

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Though I understand why you feel the need to have a secondary, as Sethlon has proven in almost every matchup you can encounter, Roy can cover all the bases. You just have to remember what is a bad MU for Roy and why, and adjust for when it arrives. Just like against Jiggly, you can't take as much risks against her, and avoid getting caught in up-tilts and know how to DI.
I personally think it's better just to learn what those problems he has, and learn to adjust instead of taking the extra work to learn a new character. I just think the learning of a new character to cover your bases is just not worth the effort.

Yes, i think that is also a good idea. A new character is fun, but yeah. I think people pick secondaries not to just cover for some bad spots in their main characters game, but to feel more confident/its easier to deal with.

Guess i'm on the fence :p although adapting is the key to anything!

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
Yes, i think that is also a good idea. A new character is fun, but yeah. I think people pick secondaries not to just cover for some bad spots in their main characters game, but to feel more confident/its easier to deal with.

Guess i'm on the fence :p although adapting is the key to anything!
Okay, good, glad you see my point. About the MUs though were they any in particular you have a rough time with, or anything?

Ghetto Blush

Smash Apprentice
Fox for annoying heavy floaties like Samus, Wario, and D3. Samus for people that can gimp the **** out of Roy and Fox.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
Okay, good, glad you see my point. About the MUs though were they any in particular you have a rough time with, or anything?
It's hard to tell if i have difficulties with any matchups vs roy atm. I DID however win my first match not too long ago vs a Fox!

Brim

Smash Ace
NNID
Bitterbub
It's hard to tell if i have difficulties with any matchups vs roy atm. I DID however win my first match not too long ago vs a Fox!
You should beat spacies anyway because they're fast fallers, and Roy's up-throw works pretty well for chain throws and setting up combos as long as they don't go too high. But considering they're fast fallers that won't happen that much, or just a fun example when you can up throw on a spacie, is when they reach around 170%, it's called a hand-****. And I believe it works against most opponents.
But characters that are...hard for Roy....
1. Jigglypuff
2. Bowser (He's so damn big) and is bad news on small stages.
3. A lot of floaty-esque characters.

Benny P

Smash Journeyman
You should beat spacies anyway because they're fast fallers, and Roy's up-throw works pretty well for chain throws and setting up combos as long as they don't go too high. But considering they're fast fallers that won't happen that much, or just a fun example when you can up throw on a spacie, is when they reach around 170%, it's called a hand-****. And I believe it works against most opponents.
But characters that are...hard for Roy....
1. Jigglypuff
2. Bowser (He's so damn big) and is bad news on small stages.
3. A lot of floaty-esque characters.

I mean my first match ever, not first win vs. a spacie, hahaha

Top Bottom