• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Seal the Deal! A Roy Smash 4 guide (UPDATE 11-17-15)

Seal the Deal! A Roy Smash 4 guide (UPDATE 11-17-15)

Shuko

Smash Rookie
Shuko submitted a new guide:

Seal the Deal! A Basic Roy Smash 4 Guide (WIP) - Basic Roy Smash 4 Guide. Combos, and percentages included as well as strategies

So, you wanna tame the Young Lion eh? Well you've come to the right guide to help you do so! I'm Shuko, and I'm going to give you a basic rundown on our boy's new playstyle.

:4feroy: is a much different fighter in Smash 4 than he was in Melee and Project M. He now has a huge increase in running speed, damage and knockback output, however it seems his damage defense has decreased. With his new buffed play style, Roy is like a velociraptor; He attacks fast and strong, but when singled out, he's...
Read more about this guide...

DigitalAtom6

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DigitalAtom6
3DS FC
1864-9481-4247
Great guide so far. Let me help out filling in the rest by listing my experience so far:
If you're looking for combo's, I managed to find some. At low percents: D-throw --> Utilt is guaranteed and depending on your opponent's DI, the combo can continue to another Utilt or a F-tilt, an U-smash an U-air or upB. It can be teched at that point, though.
F-throw to dash attack and D-tilt to dash attack also works at low percents.
At mid- to high percents D-throw to U-air continues to work and D-throw to upB works best around 50%.

Nair seems to be great for approaches, since I noticed I used it a lot for that and it hits twice, making landing it easier. It also autocancels so follow-ups are easy, though not guaranteed.
Fair is really good to catch mid-air opponents and it can even KO at high percents. This makes it great for edgeguarding.
Bair is a lot like Fair, except it has less range in exchange for more speed. Nothing special about it otherwise IMO.
Dair is a meteor strike and it doesn't have much use outside of that role. The landing lag is pretty bad on it, so using it on-stage is not recommended.

Most of Roy's moves KO at higher percents if he hits with the base of his sword. Only Dair on-stage, Dtilt, side-B 1,2,3, Jab and U-air can't KO. Neutral B in the air has no lag and is theoretically the most powerful move in smash, since it can KO any opponent aat 0% when it is fully charged. Note that upB only KO's when Roy hits with the base of the sword and from the start of the move, so spacing it right when going for a KO is very important.
Outside of neutral B, F-smash is the most powerful KO-move and it is faster than neutral B. As far as I know, only neutral B and Usmash KO when Roy doesn't hit with the base of his sword. Well, Fsmash could do it if your opponent was near 200%.

That's it from me for right now. I could be wrong on some things here, but this is my personal experience with Roy so far. I really like playing as him, so I might switch main to him as more info becomes available. Good luck with the guide!

Shuko

Smash Rookie
Thank you for the Info man! I really appreciate it. I'll add some of that in for the next bit, and I'll credit you for it.

shadowdude

Smash Apprentice
By the way I find Roy is a character that is best in a "going in and out" strategy. His ground and air speed are best put to use when you are going into attack and then going out.

Using his insane movement options allows him to be a much better character

Also I really would like to say that his fastfall speed combined with his air mobility REALLY helps him get onto the stage and away from opponents if used right. Although I do often have to run in the opposite Direction of my opponent right away,when I land

KiD~AKiDO

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
2767-0637-8769
Awesome guide. I found a little something that may be helpful.

Dthrow --> Nair can easily be used for early game damage (it does about 20% i think). Depending on your oppoent's DI it can be folloed up by a Fair or a Uair.

Last edited:
Top Bottom