• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDI/ASDI on fox upthrow upair

hidensheik11

Smash Apprentice
Do you have to smash c-stick during hitlag to ASDI or can you be holding it before? Like on Fox upthrow upair, can you be holding c-stick up before being hit to ASDI so it inputs on last frame of hitlag? and is SDI up more consistent then left or right on fox upair? Thanks !

Last edited:

AscendantAquila

Smash Cadet
No, you do not have to smash the c-stick, you can simply hold it in the direction you want to ASDI. SDI being more consistent varies from character to character and is based on percentage as SDI up works well for Puff, but not so much Fox/Falco due to the positioning of how the Uair will connect. Depending on your character, it may very well be better to SDI up more often but you just have to pay attention to the spacing of the hit and figure it out from there. Plus, if you miss the SDI up and just ASDI up, you get terrible DI where if you go left or right you probably would've gotten better DI and not gone straight up.

http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-sdi-foxs-u-throw-u-air-and-not-die.217426/

There used to be this epic thread to help teach the trick, but images don't seem to work anymore

My trick: As soon as I get grabbed by Fox, I hold left or right as soon as I can to DI the throw. after the uthrow, I time mashing the opposite direction with both sticks for when I get hit by the 1st uair hit. I move the c stick a frame or 2 before moving the left stick in case I do it too soon so I end up ASDIing. It's pretty reliable for me. Also, this makes Fox have to move left or right horizontally fast which helps him move away from the 2nd direction I'm trying to DI. SDIing can cause you to move during hit lag which helps you escape

standardtoaster

Tubacabra
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-sdi-foxs-u-throw-u-air-and-not-die.217426/

There used to be this epic thread to help teach the trick, but images don't seem to work anymore

My trick: As soon as I get grabbed by Fox, I hold left or right as soon as I can to DI the throw. after the uthrow, I time mashing the opposite direction with both sticks for when I get hit by the 1st uair hit. I move the c stick a frame or 2 before moving the left stick in case I do it too soon so I end up ASDIing. It's pretty reliable for me. Also, this makes Fox have to move left or right horizontally fast which helps him move away from the 2nd direction I'm trying to DI. SDIing can cause you to move during hit lag which helps you escape
I just rehosted the images for the thread. Images are back in. :D

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
Once you DI the throw, like say you DI it behind fox, and that direction is left. As soon as the throw ASDI registers you can begin holding right (directional DI) to kill some of your sideways momentum. This will help with getting out if you're slamming the stick in the opposite direction like EPsilon said. Upwards SDI can get you out also if he can barely reach you vertically (vertical tipper) with the first hit of uair.

Top Bottom