• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SDI and You: A Brief Overview of SDI in Smash 4

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
What is SDI?
SDI, or Smash Directional Influence, is the act of inputting directions during hitlag (freeze frames when hit by an attack, before knockback occurs) to shuffle your character in that direction. This can be used to escape combos and multihit moves. In theory, it can also be used to position yourself to tech an attack or survive attacks that would barely kill you by moving further from the blast zone, but these scenarios are highly situational and typically unrealistic.

I heard that SDI doesn't exist in Smash 4
Untrue! However, there are some factors that make it less powerful than in previous games:

1. The distance of an individual SDI input was approximately halved compared to Brawl.
2. The C-stick is no longer useful for SDI; Smash stick overrides control stick inputs entirely, while tilt stick doesn't affect SDI at all.
3. Many multihit moves use autolink angles that are designed to hold you in the move.

This combination of factors has led to SDI being an ignored and underutilized technique in this iteration of Smash, but just because it's nerfed doesn't mean it isn't still useful!

Okay. How should I SDI then?
Since the C-stick is unhelpful, SDI is optimally performed the same way as in Smash 64; by wiggling the control stick in a quarter circle, with the direction you want to go at the center (i.e. to go up, wiggle :GCUL::GCU::GCUR:). Though performed on an N64 controller, this video demonstrates what you should be inputting for left > right > up > down SDI as the principle is the same:

A good way to practice is with Smart Bombs. Go into training, spawn a bomb and hit it, then SDI up and try to escape before the final hit. The higher your percent is, the easier it is to escape; 50% is a good percent to practice at, but it's possible to escape lower than that if you want to challenge yourself.

Examples of practical applications
Multijabs:

Yoshi dair:

Mewtwo usmash:

Witch Twist:

Ryu utilt strings:
https://twitter.com/noji_nko/status/669448127926149120/video/1

Help! Escaping <move> is really hard!
Many multihits are structured in a way that requires you to understand the attack in order to escape it properly. For example, Pit's rapid jab is difficult - if not impossible - to escape by SDIing away from Pit, as it pulls you toward him. However, it does nothing to prevent you from SDIing up and jumping out. Mewtwo's usmash hitboxes form a diamond and the move aims to trap you in the center, but the attack isn't very good at pulling you down from the top.

Unfortunately, if you aren't familiar with reading data dumps you're likely SOL on learning hitbox layouts for now (hitbox viewer when). Even then, some attacks you just aren't escaping (Sheik uair, Bayonetta jab combo, etc).

EnhaloTricks

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for making this! I've been wanting to focus on my SDI recently, but I didn't know how to train it to get better. Thanks for the Smart Bomb application.

This is also a thing: https://twitter.com/ssbb_shaK/status/698879933464969216

It says Olimar only, but I have a hard time believing that. I've almost done it as Ness. Never gotten out, but I have gotten it to put me in a position that I lived when I should have died.

Kraby

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
1762-2665-6078
I didn't know it was that good,it's impressive it can help to get out of mewtwo's Usmash, this will definitely be useful.
Thanks !

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Your character's gravity can have an effect on how easy it is to DI certain things, right? Pretty sure Pit can escape PK Fire much easier then Corrin ever could.

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
Your character's gravity can have an effect on how easy it is to DI certain things, right? Pretty sure Pit can escape PK Fire much easier then Corrin ever could.
Lower gravity helps you pop out the top of moves. Higher gravity can make it easier to land and shield between hits or fall out the bottom of aerials. Even then, a character like Fox can still potentially SDI out of Mewtwo's usmash, it's just harder and less consistent. Higher weight also makes it easier to SDI against a move pulling you in, due to reduced knockback. But none of that matters if your character is so big that they're still getting clipped anyway.

Simply put, there's a lot of factors at play and different numbers have different strengths and weaknesses.

edit: also I'm not sure if Corrin has confirmed gravity numbers yet, but she seems more resistant to vertical KOs than both Mario and the Pits, so I think she actually has lower gravity than them.

Last edited:

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
In the linked video, the guy says you can Smash DI by setting the C-Stick to tilt. So what's the deal...Is he right or wrong?

Lavani

Indigo Destiny
In the linked video, the guy says you can Smash DI by setting the C-Stick to tilt. So what's the deal...Is he right or wrong?
Tests performed on a previous version showed tilt stick having no ability to SDI whatsoever. I can't definitively say that's still the case, as I don't have a Wii U and it could've changed with the latest patch, but I highly doubt something like that would change this far along in the game's life.

The easy way to know if tilt stick actually does anything is to just try to SDI something with only tilt stick.

nintendonaut

Smash Rookie
Tests performed on a previous version showed tilt stick having no ability to SDI whatsoever. I can't definitively say that's still the case, as I don't have a Wii U and it could've changed with the latest patch, but I highly doubt something like that would change this far along in the game's life.

The easy way to know if tilt stick actually does anything is to just try to SDI something with only tilt stick.
Alright cool, I'll have to do some labbing.

Mini_Mac

Smash Apprentice
NNID
G_Czech
Do you know if Bidou being activated and/or tap jump being OFF effects SDI at all? For two of my three mains, which is :4littlemac: and :4falcon:, I have Bidou activated roughly 85% of the time and sometimes I have a hard time telling if I'm SDI'ing correctly because both of these characters are fast fallers and in general have a hard time escaping multi-hit moves anyways. Also, I use a pro-controller if that is something you need to know.

Top Bottom