• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD Remix News And Updates

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
There has been a lot of news and updates taking place for the Melee mod SD Remix. For those who do not know what SD Remix is all about here's a description from the official website:

SD Remix is a Super Smash Bros. Melee hack, based off of the v1.0 version of the game, designed to better balance the game through only character buffs. SD Remix intends to improve to the weaker characters to viable levels by:
– Addressing their crippling weaknesses
– Providing them stronger offensive and defensive options in line with the stronger cast members
– Maintaining each character’s archetype and niche

Recently SD Remix Lite Universal NTSC Universal was released which came with some upgrades. From its official announcement:

---​

We’re happy to announce that the universal version of SD Remix 3.2 Lite is released! The previous version only worked on v1.02 of the NTSC version of Smash, which is the latest version of SSBM to be released in North America. However, with this release, all versions of SSBM released in the NTSC regions (which include USA, Canada, and Japan) are supported, so you don’t have to worry about compatibility anymore!

You can download it from the SD Remix Lite Downloads page.

We’ve also revamped our instructions on how to use SD Remix Lite, and they cover a lot more options and are much more comprehensive. Check them out at our SD Remix Lite Instructions page.

Have fun, and happy smashing!

---​

Now the fun won't just be limited to those with an NTSC copy of Melee! The SD Remix crew have put in hard work and have decided to release a Public Alpha for SD Remix 3.2.1 PAL. Hopefully this will allow fans of Melee across the globe to try SD Remix and see what it is all about.

For more information on this mod be sure to check out its official Smashboards thread, the official SD Remix website, and the official Youtube channel for SD Remix. An installation guide for the mod is also available here. Until next time catch this SD Remix Character showcase!

SmashCapps applauds the efforts of the SD Remix team and hopes Melee fans will give it a go. Be sure to go follow him on Twitter and let him know how it's being enjoyed.

Last edited:

Raize

Smash Cadet
So is this like Brawl- for Melee?

Last edited:

Smash Ace
When I first saw the title I thought there was a remix for an actual song lol

Quillion

Smash Hero
It's like Project M with less fun.

Less characters, no tech added (from Brawl or original), and characters have nothing added on to give them more depth.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
So...top tiers stay the same and th rest catch up a la PM? No?
Pretty much. That's what it looks like at least.
Here's the thing: unlike PM, there are no engine differences that require new tech to learn; only new matchups. The top five (I think) are unchanged so it's not like you have to learn a new character either if you play one of them.

Also, I'll say this again: I would rather say Project M is more of a poverty Melee than SD Remix would be a poverty PM. Their goals are different anyway.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
Here's the thing: unlike PM, there are no engine differences that require new tech to learn; only new matchups. The top five (I think) are unchanged so it's not like you have to learn a new character either if you play one of them.

Also, I'll say this again: I would rather say Project M is more of a poverty Melee than SD Remix would be a poverty PM. Their goals are different anyway.
Moving from Melee to and from PM should take no effort if you're playing a top-tier; they're the most faithful to their original counterparts by intentional design.

TheSmoothLander

Smash Cadet
It's like Project M with less fun.

Less characters, no tech added (from Brawl or original), and characters have nothing added on to give them more depth.
Saying something is less fun for having less characters is like saying the ice cream you had for dessert was less sweet for not having a cherry on top.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Saying something is less fun for having less characters is like saying the ice cream you had for dessert was less sweet for not having a cherry on top.
I see it more as that the dessert had less because it had... I don't know; LESS ICE CREAM???

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
I see it more as that the dessert had less because it had... I don't know; LESS ICE CREAM???
Content ≠ quality.

Edit:
In response to your reply to me: You do realize there are many other differences between Melee and PM than just characters? And I'm not talking about tech like RAR, DACUS, and Footstooling either. There are a couple of critical physics differences as well such as one frame of delay. Lastly, Melee characters were nerfed in manners similar to the PAL changes so players cannot simply transfer their Melee tech skill over to PM. Fox needs more percentage to kill with his up Smash, Sheik's down throw does not chain grab as easily anymore, Falco's dair is harder to spike with, Marth's absurd grab range became less absurd.
They're still the same character, but a lot of things that made characters good on Melee was fixed on PM. Those small differences mean a lot to the player who has invested hours on-end in Melee.

Last edited:
NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
A game no one will ever play because they can't insta-win a game by using Fox/Falco/Marth.
People don't really want balance, they want an OP character they can net easy wins with. :p
Still, I personally love what you guys did. Great work! Wish it could get more love though.

TLDR: "MELEE IS PERFECT AS IT IS! DON'T CHANGE IT OR WE'LL COMPLAIN!"
-Melee Fanatics

Last edited:

SpandexBullets

Smash Journeyman
NNID
thespandex
But if Fox and and Falco and Peach are unchanged then why show them...(???)

Anyway, hope Falcon can grab ledge grabbing opponents, recovery with side B, spikes with raptor boost, dashes faster and has better base airspeed and a meteor smashing up tilt.
That would be nice.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
And with this, I hope to see Ness's Melee meta grow! I was always kinda sad that he was bottom tier in Melee, because it means little to no tournament play of him. I hope to see more of him in tournaments of this mod!

Malkasaur

Smash Journeyman
A game no one will ever play because they can't insta-win a game by using Fox/Falco/Marth.
People don't really want balance, they want an OP character they can net easy wins with. :p
Still, I personally love what you guys did. Great work! Wish it could get more love though.

TLDR: "MELEE IS PERFECT AS IT IS! DON'T CHANGE IT OR WE'LL COMPLAIN!"
-Melee Fanatics
This is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Even with other characters getting buffed, the top tiers that were unchanged are still really, REALLY good. And why would anyone complain about more characters being viable? That's a huge plus in my book. It's not like the gameplay is being changed.
EDIT: Also, what makes you think we like having OP characters? People use them because it's a competitive game and they want to win. That, and they like how the character plays.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

The best way to look at SD remix is that it is what Melee SHOULD have been if more time was put into balancing it before release. Everything is kept the same except for the lower tier characters, which have received nothing but buffs that don't really affect the way the character is played.

PM is like what an actual sequal to Melee would have been (Brawl, whatever your opinion of it is, was way too different to be a true sequal.) The gameplay is extremely similar to Melee, but there are enough notable differences for it to be considered a brand new game (including, of course, new characters and stages.) Most Melee veterans were not merely buffed, but rather redesigned and given many more unique tools.

Both of these games are fantastic and, frankly, the only reason they have not overtaken Melee is because they are mods. They are both much more balanced and much more enjoyable games than Melee. It's a shame that they are not "official."

Last edited by a moderator:

Levateinn

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lev_Zoravkov
3DS FC
0275-7009-2978
SD...

i was kinda hoping everything was gonna be chibi

Quillion

Smash Hero
Content ≠ quality.

Edit:
In response to your reply to me: You do realize there are many other differences between Melee and PM than just characters? And I'm not talking about tech like RAR, DACUS, and Footstooling either. There are a couple of critical physics differences as well such as one frame of delay. Lastly, Melee characters were nerfed in manners similar to the PAL changes so players cannot simply transfer their Melee tech skill over to PM. Fox needs more percentage to kill with his up Smash, Sheik's down throw does not chain grab as easily anymore, Falco's dair is harder to spike with, Marth's absurd grab range became less absurd.
They're still the same character, but a lot of things that made characters good on Melee was fixed on PM. Those small differences mean a lot to the player who has invested hours on-end in Melee.
If that was really true Melee players would never go near PM.

But look at what happened; Melee players flock to PM while actually abandoning Melee!

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
This is the stupidest thing I've read in a long time. Even with other characters getting buffed, the top tiers that were unchanged are still really, REALLY good. And why would anyone complain about more characters being viable? That's a huge plus in my book. It's not like the gameplay is being changed.
EDIT: Also, what makes you think we like having OP characters? People use them because it's a competitive game and they want to win. That, and they like how the character plays.
It is stupid, that's the whole point of the message. Do you see anyone like M2K, Zero, Ken or the like playing this game? Of course not, because they have a higher risk of loosing to more characters.

Streetwize

Smash Apprentice
If that was really true Melee players would never go near PM.

But look at what happened; Melee players flock to PM while actually abandoning Melee!
There are a few little things called "trying things out" and then "adapting" of course. I'm not that stupid.
Instead of presenting your opinion as fact, please show me the statistics. As far as I know, Melee tourneys still outshine every other tournament in entrant numbers.
You're really coming off as an ignorant casual fanboy here so please back down or learn each game. PM is not the almighty you defend it as, as much as I love it myself.

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
It is stupid, that's the whole point of the message. Do you see anyone like M2K, Zero, Ken or the like playing this game? Of course not, because they have a higher risk of loosing to more characters.
Orly?

There are a couple of critical physics differences as well such as one frame of delay.
I think you're making it out to be a lot more than it actually is.

Magus said:
Only some character based action/PSA controlled velocities are what is delayed. The coding that updates your location runs before most of the character physics updates (things like dashing, fall speed, movement from jumps, and momentum add commands like airdodge). It does not affect things like button inputs, action changes, hitboxes, etc. Also note that KB velocity does not fall under that, and air mobility also has no delay (they run earlier than the action/PSA function). Melee actually has the same type of delayed movement on the dash action for whatever reason.
One of the few use cases is SHFFL'd lasers on Fox slightly become easier with a 16.67ms difference in physics.

Last edited:

Inatos

Smash Rookie
Excellent mod, this needs more advertising (and textures from 20xx). Nintendo should hire these guys to do the HD release, just saiyan.

proxibomb

Smash Clown
I'd love to play SD remix, but I'm afraid playing this would affect how I play on regular Melee, or even Project M.

Any players have experience and know if transitioning between games is stable?

smashbro29

Smash Champion
NNID
Smashbro29
3DS FC
2724-0750-5127
I'd love to play SD remix, but I'm afraid playing this would affect how I play on regular Melee, or even Project M.

Any players have experience and know if transitioning between games is stable?
The top tiers are exactly the same. The only changes are made to characters that don't matter in vanilla Melee.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
As long as they make my boy Roy viable, I am in full support of this!

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
That's PM. :/
Ah, was thinking you were talking in reference to that and not SDR.

I'd say that's largely due to accessibility and acceptance. ProjectM rides on the coattails of Stack Smash. Melee got that just the beginning of this year, and it's still in its infancy.

Top Bottom