• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD: Is it good or bad mannered to do it when others accidentally do it

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
Just a few minutes ago I was in a For Glory 1v1 match. I had been facing the same person for about 3-4 matches and lost every one of them. I was persistent, I kept battling him so I could get better and finally beat him. I was playing as Robin and he was Pac-Man, he tried to do an attack but ended up falling off-stage. Here's the thing, he attempted to trampoline but missed using the 2nd-3rd bounce and died, he could have made it. I didn't want to win like that so he SD'd also to even things out. I ended up winning the match but I don't know if this could be considered rude or nice. Thoughts?

Last edited:

Spirst

Eh, I do it sometimes depending on the player and what percent they were at when it happened. Levels things out and makes it more enjoyable as opposed to a one-sided affair.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
SD's mostly happen in my case because of the controls. I have a hiccup every now and then.

But from what I've seen no one SDs with me when I do it. I do occasionally, however.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Eh, I do it sometimes depending on the player and what percent they were at when it happened. Levels things out and makes it more enjoyable as opposed to a one-sided affair.
Pretty much this. It also depends on how they SD'd. If they failed at edgeguarding but could have recovered, I'd just let them die.

Fathom778

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPSICANEX2
Sometimes it's out of Mercy, others time because of troll, but most times because of a Jolt Haymaker.

Last edited:

SwoodGrommet

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RIPinpieces
3DS FC
3652-0583-3903
Yeah, if it happens when we're both at pretty low percents and they SD, I tend to SD also. I mean, if they accidentally die after a botched recovery and I end up winning the game without Sd'ing to make it fair, I feel like I didn't deserve that win at all. I've actually had quite a few people SD when I slip up. To be fair, the majority just taunt and continue playing though.

Last edited:

XxBHunterxX

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Bryan
3DS FC
2766-9402-2187
Most of the time when I SD people don't tend to do the same so I have a built in habit of not doing it for the opponent, but if I SD on accident and someones does with with me I'll try to return the favor

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
I do it sometimes, but it depends on how they SD. I just prefer to keep things even and not have that lucky slip-up contribute to the outcome. I mean, it's not a tournament match or anything, so why not? The other player usually does the same when I battle them for a long time.
If you magically SD somehow on your last stock, though, then I can't help you there! :laugh:

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
If it seems like a clear mistake, I'll often SD, unless they happen to be a particularly annoying sort (if you ever falcon punch at me, I'm sorry, but you just lost my sympathy for SDs). If they're not taunting around or the like and they make some obvious mistake like the infamous greninja side-B recovery-flub, I'll often SD. If I was that concerned about win %, I wouldn't leave lobbies where, after 2 matches, my opponent provides less challenge than a level 1 AI (I do try to give people a chance to rematch, though...).

I don't think it's necessarily bad manners to not SD, but if you taunt an SD, that's about as BM as you can get, beyond perhaps the 0-to-dead combo ZSS has on Robin...

Captain Norris

Smash Lord
NNID
ZeldaFan3280
If it seems like a clear mistake, I'll often SD, unless they happen to be a particularly annoying sort (if you ever falcon punch at me, I'm sorry, but you just lost my sympathy for SDs). If they're not taunting around or the like and they make some obvious mistake like the infamous greninja side-B recovery-flub, I'll often SD. If I was that concerned about win %, I wouldn't leave lobbies where, after 2 matches, my opponent provides less challenge than a level 1 AI (I do try to give people a chance to rematch, though...).

I don't think it's necessarily bad manners to not SD, but if you taunt an SD, that's about as BM as you can get, beyond perhaps the 0-to-dead combo ZSS has on Robin...
I dunno. Some falcon punches work as an onstage move. But if you sd from it, yeah :p

Randomain

Smash Rookie
If it's at the very beginning of the match (specifically a mirror match), then I will.

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
I dunno. Some falcon punches work as an onstage move. But if you sd from it, yeah :p
Oh granted-- it's a great coverage move and certainly has plenty of uses in heavy reads, but I mean falcon punching towards me as in walking the stage with repeated falcon punches. XD

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Unless I am playing against a jerk who taunts after K.Os, I always SD, if they SD when they could have perfectly recovered, but messed up for some reason.

Ursaguy

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5472-7859-2409
Nobody's done it for me yet when the controls give me a b side instead of a b up, so I'm yet to do this. Etiquette gets thrown out the window against people you have no real life communication with.

Xman321

Smash Apprentice

On the subject of taunting. I don't do a taunt to taunt, I do it because I have the time for it. I'm not gonna be able to do much for the second a taunt would take, so I do it.

So, yeah, I may "taunt" a taunting you, I'm just using the taunt button. Or you died with your last stock and I'm trying to taunt at the end of the match.

Orngeblu

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0104-1846-4809
That depends if I respect the player, I generally won't do it in any matches with random players, sometimes if I find a player I like, that can change, however. I really hate when I lose JUST because I SD'd, and they think they're hot stuff for not directly killing me. Mistakes happen, but if someone SD's, you only won because of that SD. (Unless of course, you're clearly better than them)

Kinda hard to say whether someone is disrespectful for not because you can't really communicate with the other player, so taunting can generally seem like disrespect to me.

Last edited:

FloatingMew

Smash Journeyman
NNID
FloatingMew
That depends if I respect the player, I generally won't do it in any matches with random players, sometimes if I find a player I like, that can change, however. I really hate when I lose JUST because I SD'd, and they think they're hot stuff for not directly killing me. Mistakes happen, but if someone SD's, you only won because of that SD. (Unless of course, you're clearly better than them)

Kinda hard to say whether someone is disrespectful for not because you can't really communicate with the other player, so taunting can generally seem like disrespect to me.
You see, that's why I SD when they do. I don't want to win because of their mistake that shouldn't have happened in the first place.

Raijinken

Smash Master
I do it with friends or against players I've been beating for a few rounds in a row, but only if it was a low percent SD (30% or so is the cutoff). I wouldn't say it's a matter of manners, I just hate it when a fun match is decided by a suicide.

the.tok

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2767-0503-3415
Honestly, I would have never thought of doing that, and I'd be pretty pissed off if someone did this, but this is more because I do not like when I'm feeling like my opponent takes it easy on me.

I feel looked down upon in this case. I expect to be fully punished for my mistake, just like if I whiff a smash.

Make me learn the hard way !

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
I actually prefer if my opponent didn't SD if I accidentally did... if I go on to win, it makes it feel less deserved.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
I do it in funsies vs my friend, but not vs people online. Online is for "serious" tournament style matches, if you SD you have to try to recover from it (and sometimes people do, I SD'd once last night and immediately brought it back to even afterwards).

Dsull

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5301-0115-2290
Suicides are part of the game to me. If you die because you flopped your recovery, guess what you got to practice on buddy? thats right, recovery!

Any idea how many times i have shot myself CLEAR ACROSS THE BOARD with either Diddykong or high damage Lucario and actually launched off the other end of the board? You learn quick to not do that when your opponent takes advantage of your mistake lol

CharZane

Smash Apprentice
Though, I will note that a vast majority of the time, if someone SDs in a fight, I'll go for a rematch. For that matter, I tend to rematch as many times as someone wants, barring a laggy connection (the only thing one learns from that is patience...). If they're kicking my ass, it might take 20+ tries, but I'll normally revel in the chance to work it up to a 50-50 (or better, in many cases-- after destroying me the first game or two, there are times when people won't strive to improve; often they'll be switching around characters or whatnot, or sticking to the same strategy each game). If someone's strictly terrible, meanwhile, I certainly give them their fair shot-- everyone has off-games or gets caught playing an unfamiliar character, so I don't feel right killing someone who very well may just be on tilt and then leaving.

If I've been playing with someone for several games, I'll actually generally not SD, as by then I'm treating it like friendly practice. I might respawn and then taunt after I SD, or start stabbing a ledge if they do-- just silly sorts of things rather than taking it seriously enough to either SD myself or be 'smug' with taunts and whatnot... though, honestly, I spend 90% of the time after someone's died just charging an Arcthunder at least... I only tend to taunt as a reflex from melee if I hit a clean, lethal smash attack. It's completely a reflex-- my thumb just flails at the d-pad the second the smash attack ends-- it's not even a matter of reacting to their KO, just adrenaline at actually landing a KO smash (on Robin, it's almost always aerials or the like instead, or Arcthunder/Thoron).

AlexAnthonyD

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Anthony
3DS FC
1521-5082-7099
I SD when I personally want a better matchup. It is a completely selfish decision that I make to add interest to the match at hand. If you truly respect your opponent you wont SD after they make a mistake, simply because any true fighter wouldn't want that done for them.

My best wins have been after SD'ng at a low% and my opponent is also at a low%, you are put in a 2 stock or die situation that pressure alone excites me greatly.

Last edited:

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
I usually don't but have done it when I want to learn. It's an entirely different feeling taking someone's stock and being ahead and them losing a stock to something very dumb. So, to get the match back on a point where I can't afford to mess up, I'll SD.
Rare though, I've done if maybe twice.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
With friends, I do it a lot. Sure, you can argue that you're being condescending to the other party and letting them off easy, but that's just inference on either subject's part.

Basically it comes down to the simple ethos of, "Did they do it for me?" I didn't even realise it was a thing until a friend of mine repayed by botched recovery by leaping to his death, at which point I felt ethically obliged to do the same for him and it just became an unspoken rule of fairy play after that. I think it's a sign of maturity and respect that you can forfeit an advantageous victory in favour of leveling the proverbial playing field.

CrimsonYoshi

Smash Apprentice
If someone SDs I normally do it too. I was playing a guy who was evenly matched with me and we had a ton of fun, but he tried playing little Mac one round and SDed twice. The next round I did it too so we could be evenly matched and then we kept playing normally. It's out of respect I guess.

firewingpegasus

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NanaSuki
3DS FC
0731-4761-5838
If we were both a low percent, I generally SD as well. It feels kind of lame to start off with technically a full extra stock. Makes it seem like the win is unfair.

hiramsthoughts

Smash Apprentice
I do it it all the time, when a KO is an obvbious SD and we should be even. I've only met one person who is actually an IRL competitive friend,, that hated it when I did it, saying that it was like a pity KO, and that if he SDd he deserved it and I should have given him the chance to recover by himself.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Actually, on that note, is it at all respectful or in good faith to self-destruct if it's due to you that your opponent is down a stock?

Obviously that sound counter-intuitive and anathema to the nature of the gane. It's a fighting game, you're supposed to KO the other person. It's just common sense. There are times, though, when you inadvertently KO the opponent prematurely befoe they've even had a chance to fight back. In such situations, is it appropriate to even the playing field or do you just carry on regardless, due to the fact that it was technically your KO and not the fault of the other party?

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Actually, on that note, is it at all respectful or in good faith to self-destruct if it's due to you that your opponent is down a stock?

Obviously that sound counter-intuitive and anathema to the nature of the gane. It's a fighting game, you're supposed to KO the other person. It's just common sense. There are times, though, when you inadvertently KO the opponent prematurely befoe they've even had a chance to fight back. In such situations, is it appropriate to even the playing field or do you just carry on regardless, due to the fact that it was technically your KO and not the fault of the other party?
You mean if you just completely wreck their face for one stock and they barely hit you at all? I think SDing in that situation would almost certainly be seen as an extreme taunt.

"You are so free I totally don't even need this stock to beat you".

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
You mean if you just completely wreck their face for one stock and they barely hit you at all? I think SDing in that situation would almost certainly be seen as an extreme taunt.

"You are so free I totally don't even need this stock to beat you".
I was more so referring to examples of accidentally KOing them with a really cheap or unprofessional tactic. Like you're just messing about and you accidentally exploit a glitch or gimp them by mistake.

It happens to me a lot, at least. Maybe I'm just too sympathetic when it comes to other players.

Terotrous

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1762-2767-5898
Accidental footstools are the most legitimate of all KOs, though!

A couple nights ago I had an accidental footstool into a spike, then the other guy was too mind-****ed to do anything to me on the next stock, lol.

I wish you could upload replays to youtube with this game.

PACT_hacker

Smash Rookie
I sometimes SD myself for the opponent if his SD completely disrupts the flow and balance of the match, but only if he/she wants me to SD. But I don't mind being one stock behind myself, gets me even more motivated to win!

Top Bottom