• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

SD for SD?

Should you SD on purpose when your opponent does accidentally?

• Total voters

Pixel_

Smash Ace
In For Glory 1 on 1, it seems to be courteous (if that's the right word) to SD once your opponent accidentally SD's themselves. Whenever I do it, my opponent usually does a polite taunt as if thanking me.

Still, I'm not exactly sure whether or not I should SD. This is For Glory, and I'm pretty sure that in tournaments, mistakes like these are left alone. But, if I don't, I might seem rude.

So, should an SD for an SD really become common courtesy? Should you only do it when you're facing an opponent who isn't a competitive player? Or is it more of a universal thing?

I hope I'm not the only one wondering about this, or if I should even make a poll for it.

Link24242

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
4184-3214-6215
If it happens really early in the fight and it was a mistake that I did little or nothing to pressure them into making, then I'll SD to make it fair. Winning what is effectively a 2-to-1 stock fight would feel pretty hollow.

But if it happens later in the fight they probably won't be put at such a big disadvantage, so I'll just let it be and keep on fighting.

Mintcario

uwu
NNID
Mintcario
Being honest, it depends on how early it is in the fight and whether or not I like the person.

That's just me, though. If the other person is a bit of a jerk, then I would be a little more reluctant to give them the free stock. Otherwise I wouldn't mind having to SD if the other person made a clear mistake.

Nexin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Nexinitus
Honestly, it really doesn't bother me either way.

If my opponent SD'd and lost a stock early, and I know that they were normally good at recovering, I may SD to even it out, especially if there was a random spike in lag in an otherwise perfect match that occurred just then.

On the other hand, when I randomly SD at the beginning of the match, I actually prefer it when my opponent does not SD as well to even things out, as I enjoy having the chance to make a comeback on my own.

I suppose my opinion on the matter doesn't fit any of the choices well, so I guess I'll just pick Other.

Last edited:

pixelatedcody

Pixelated Inkling
NNID
cncody
If it was a really silly way they died I usually always SD, just because FG has a lack of any true ranking system so honestly the W/L ratio is pointless, due to the fact you can Pad your stats fighting the same opponents or bad players.

Besides its just for fun, and its all in good sportsmanship so why not? If it's an accident of course.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
I'll do it if something dumb happens, like if Omega Pyrosphere or pre-patch Lylat gimps their recovery without my intervention.

Also depends on their attitude. If they teabag or taunt excessively I probably won't SD for them.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
I don't really like doing this.
People have to realize that mistakes are going to happen. It's up to whoever made the mistake to fix it. If that means they have to work extra hard to win the match, then so be it.

pikazz

Smash Lord
NNID
pikamaxi
it all depence of the time and the person I am facing

if its in the beginning of the match there it was no pressure what so ever, I do give them a fair match by SD for a SD.
if the opponent is a funny guy to battle and not those that only plays to win, I will not SD for them since they wouldnt do the same thing for me

Shakes

Smash Rookie
I'll politely SD if they die from something goofy, but that's only if in not above the 50s in damage. I just don't like winning when there was little to no input from me in the cause of their death.

I guess my only regret about doing this is that most players I've come across will take advantage of silly SD when I relinquish it. At least losing because of it doesn't feel bad.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
I'll SD if it's particularly early and not tied to anything I did, but once the damage reaches like 30% or if the SD was preceded by any sort of edgeguarding pressure by me, I'm taking the +1.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
It depends on the player. If it was an accident, then I'll throw my stock away for them. Don't think I would do it again if that person turns out to be an ass.

D

Deleted member

It depends.
If the player was playing quite nicely in the beginning and accidentally SDs, then I would SD myself. I think that having a one stock, low damage advantage is pretty unfair and I want the match to be as equal as possible.

If the player purposefully SDs, then I wouldn't SD. I don't see why I should...

Lastly, if the player was an absolute jerk to me during the match or the match before, I won't SD for them. I don't respect players like those.

Siledh

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Siledhrel
3DS FC
3969-5560-9348
I don't do it and don't expect anyone to for me either. The game is a competition. Mistakes lead to defeat and having someone "even the scales" because I ****ed up (or input lag led to it) is just daft.

SDing because someone SD'd is the same as saying, "you're not good enough to beat me one stock down. So I will take pity on you and make it more 'even'."

Bull****.

123outerme

Smash Cadet
NNID
123outerme
I voted "no", because it gives the opponent a chance to play with a disadvantage, and get better. Also, because I'm terrible at capitalizing on having a lead, so they'll probably even it out.

Last edited:

SphericalCrusher

Hardcore Gamer
NNID
SphericalCrusher
3DS FC
1118-0223-8931
No. They don't do it when I SD, so why should I? lol. If I'm playing a friend in friendlies and he does it at the start of the match, I sometimes will though.

1FC0

Smash Lord
I voted no because as long as it is not caused by lag you are stupid if you SD out of politeness. If someone gets angry because you do not SD on purpose after he SDed by messing up then he is a sore loser. He messed up so he deserved the SD according the the rules of the game.

When someone SDs by messing up against me then I will be polite by giving them a rematch afterwards. And if they have good sportsmanship then they will be fine with this.

And if it was caused by lag then I think that SDing to even it out is nice but not necessary. As long as your connection is fine it is not your fault so there is no reason why you should have to give a stock or even worry about what was caused by lag and what not. And if it was caused by your side then you should stop playing until your connection is good again because people who play with laggy connections are stupid.

Princess_Emilu

Smash Cadet
Rarely.

I usually like to mess around and let them hit me a few times, but I only give a stock if we are pretty much equals, and if they've been 'polite'.

Ryuki of Spiral Rhapsody

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Spiral_Rhapsody
if it is visibly apparent that both of us players mutually agree that we're no longer participating in online bloodsport but rather just two losers messing around while still trying really hard to win, then that's when I SD for SD.

dahuterschuter

Smash Journeyman
The proper reaction to an opponent SD is as many taunts in a row as possible before you get locked out of taunting or they drop down and hit you mid taunt.

GalactaKnight

Smash Rookie
NNID
ALEXOCHSIMON
Often if its a bad player, as i like to think that they are children and i want to give them a good impression of the game.

But when you use Metaknights down B and go to the side but the game registered it as a side b, making you s.d.
And they taunt.

And that is when you dash dance and do fast falling aerials whenever you take a stock of them.

Heres a guide:

:GCX::GCA::GCD:
:GCL::GCR::GCL::GCR:
:GCDpad::GCDpad::GCDpad:

Ultimate guide to winning

Nixon Corral

Southland Scion
NNID
Nixon_Corral
Won't do it. I know FG matches can be thought of as just friendlies, sort of, but I'm still trying to train. I don't expect people to SD for me, and I don't SD for others. Makes us all better and makes us fight at our absolute best to try to win the match.

Mrwhatzitooya

Smash Journeyman
I generally do SD if someone accidentally SDs and we've been having a good set of matches. It certainly feels like the "code of honour" in Sm4sh.

However, if they're being a troll or mock me for an SD of my own, they will get no mercy...

A17

Smash Ace
NNID
Okrapaeli
I don't like the idea of winning against an opponent who fails to recover because of their own execution mistake (i.e. Side -B for an Up-B, Up-B in the wrong direction).

That said, if a newbie raptor boosts off the stage with Captain Falcon, then no.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

If me and the person get along well, taunt in sync, have entertaining matches, etc. I usually SD in the case of a complete stock whiff. That or it's laggy enough that something like a rising Pound can become Sing, or sideways Fire Fox can become an Illusion (not as big of an issue in Sm4sh, but still). That kind of stuff is obnoxious to deal with and I'll usually just go ahead and even it up. Otherwise, I'll just fight no matter, since, of course, it IS For Glory; your trust in another players honor could mean a loss when it comes time for them to ignore your SD... That, or they act like a d***, and I just taunt them for an SD :p

Top Bottom