• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Scrubs? What does it mean?

Gindler

Smash Champion
So yeah I've been seeing the term scrub and scrubsville lately on the boards and I was just wondering what it all means? Thanks for putting up with my lack of smash talk experience.

Rufeo

Smash Cadet
Never heard anyone use scrubsville but a scrub is somebody who isn't good.

orintemple

Smash Lord
A scrub is a person who is just your average player. Someone who does not aspire to get better and just plays the game at the lowest competent level. They are the step above a newb. You go from being new to the game to being a scrub. Many people around here probably reached the next level but people who aren't serious about the game are usually scrubs.

In short, it is a derogatory term for a casual player basically.

parkermortensen

Smash Cadet
A Scrub is someone who, if you were to ledgeguard him, spam a useful attack, or do anything that will consistently give you an advantage over him, would call you a cheap, unskilled player. A Scrub is someone who limits themselves from winning a game because they aren't willing to exploit strengths and weaknesses, and see fault in those who do so. Basically, Scrubs do not Play to Win.

http://www.sirlin.net/Features/feature_PlayToWinPart1.htm

It's better than a noob, but still looked down upon as a stance.

IMO, HELP SCRUBS. Do NOT belittle them for being that way; instead, explain to them what Playing to Win means and help them become better - If you don't, you're keeping someone from being their best, which could be potentially better than you. Not to get all high-horse in morals, but you should help people become better, not make fun of them as you combo their arse. That's IMHO, anyway.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm pretty sure a scrub is someone who says they are good, but don't stack up.

For example, someone who says pros aren't that great and then proceeds to be beat by them... horribly.

itsameSMB

Smash Journeyman
Mind if I expand the question? What's the difference between a scrub and someone who plays to win, but is not as opportunistic as the experts mentioned in parkermortensen's post?

Rufeo

Smash Cadet
Mind if I expand the question? What's the difference between a scrub and someone who plays to win, but is not as opportunistic as the experts mentioned in parkermortensen's post?
Besides that one wants to win, nothing. A scrub is simply someone who isn't good.

orintemple

Smash Lord
If you are playing to win you will use anything you can to win. A scrub would say that there are cheap tactics and characters. If you think "cheapness" exists, you are a scrub. There is no honor in Smash, if you want honor be a Samurai. Good sportsmanship sure, but you don't miss an edgehog on purpose to be nice if you are trying to win.

Sir_Psycho

Smash Apprentice
I'll put it this way. A noob is a person who is bad due to lack of experience and makes dumb mistakes because of lack of knowledge of the game.
A scrub, on the other hand, is a person who is bad despite having a solid amount of experience, and makes noob-ish mistakes despite knowing better.

--Scrub can also be used to describe someone who blames their shortcomings on another player being "cheap" or if the game is online to "lag" whether or not anyone else is lagging. Scrubs are often intense whiners and consider their skills superior when they are, in fact, quite ordinary.

Gindler

Smash Champion
Ah, so I'm guessing the phrase i read where someone said "I just left scrubsville" so i'm taking it that meant he's not a scrub anymore.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
If you are playing to win you will use anything you can to win. A scrub would say that there are cheap tactics and characters. If you think "cheapness" exists, you are a scrub. There is no honor in Smash, if you want honor be a Samurai. Good sportsmanship sure, but you don't miss an edgehog on purpose to be nice if you are trying to win.
I don't know, I would consider an infintie grab as cheap... does that make me a scrub? If it does then I will proceed to infinite downgrab with d3 against walls.

DeliciousCake

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4313-1513-6404
Newb: Someone who is genuinely new to a game and should be helped
Noob: Someone who is not new to a game but sucks nonetheless
Scrub: Someone who claims to be good but in the end sucks, blames random things for their losses

Noob and Scrub can sometimes be used interchangeably.

Anarkex

Smash Cadet
A scrub would be someone who refuses to change their playstyle and complains when it costs them a win.

It's one thing to learn ATs and then decide not to use them because they don't jive with how you play, but to call other people cheap for using a skill you're incapable of is just being whiny and refusing to adapt. And that's from someone who, until a couple months ago, did exactly that.

orintemple

Smash Lord
I don't know, I would consider an infintie grab as cheap... does that make me a scrub? If it does then I will proceed to infinite downgrab with d3 against walls.
But if you were in it for money and that was the way for you to win would you do it? Yea I bet you would. That is what playing to win is, doing what it takes to win. Maybe in a friendly you wouldn't because it is for fun and you don't care about winning, but in serious play you would.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
But if you were in it for money and that was the way for you to win would you do it? Yea I bet you would. That is what playing to win is, doing what it takes to win. Maybe in a friendly you wouldn't because it is for fun and you don't care about winning, but in serious play you would.
I guess you are right, I would do it if it were for money and to win.

Sort of like war where you will goto any measure to kill the enemy because if you don't, they will.

I still sort of think infinite grabs as sort of an equivilent to low blows in competitive fighting/martial arts. Or well not infinite type combos that take skill...

psyniac_123

Smash Ace
What is the point in having a "quick answers thread" or even a Smash Wiki if people are going to make threads like this?

Top Bottom