• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

sc_selcharacter.pac and common5.pac DO NOT WORK for CSP's

blahman179

Smash Cadet
Yeah, I tried using both for custom csp, and here's how it goes down:

common5.pac: Freezes when trying to start a group/single player brawl.

sc_selcharacter.pac: Does absolutely nothing, csp's don't show up in-game.

I've tried finding help in 2 other topics, but they were no help.

The file's never go over their size limit, and the pics to be replaced are png's.

This is really all the info I can give.

One question though: For using sc_selcharacter.pac, do I need to delete the sc_selcharacter ARC in common5.pac?

Because if that's the situation, it's probably the reason sc_selcharacter.pac won't work.

blahman179

Smash Cadet

The file's never go over their size limit, and the pics to be replaced are png's.

One question though: For using sc_selcharacter.pac, do I need to delete the sc_selcharacter ARC in common5.pac?

Because if that's the situation, it's probably the reason sc_selcharacter.pac won't work.
Uhg....

Here's what I do when I replace the file:

The file I'm using is: http://www.mediafire.com/?o8huc3vm0q8dlcg

There's a CSP and a Bp in it.

1. I open Brawlbox.

2. Open sc_selcharacter.pac from my SD card.

3. Find Marths Bust info (MiscData[16])

4. Right click the first one, (that's what he's under.)

5. Replace.

6. I find the Axel_CSP.png

7. "Okay," when the window pops up.

8. Save.

9. Test it in Brawl, and it doesn't show up.

Does this info help in any way?

Darkrai Lv.1000

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1934-0668-8939
i've been using csp's through selcharacter since i started hacking brawl. consider these:

are the pictures sized as 128x160?
they should be.

is ur selcharacter is in the wrong folder?
it goes like this:
SD->private->wii->app->RSB(?)->pf->menu2(sc_selcharacter.pac is in here)

do you use Gecko OS or Riivolution to run the game?
if you use Riivolution, you got to have the _en part at the end of selcharacter (sc_selcharacter_en.pac). For Gecko, don't.

in brawlbox, are you replacing pictures in the folder marked "palettes" or "textures"?
you should be replacing files in the "textures" section of the miscdata (not that i think u aren't XD )

are you replacing in the right spot?
csp's are here:
BrawlBox(sc_selcharacter_en)->char_bust_tex_lz77->MiscData[?]->Textures(NW4R)->MenSelchrFaceB.???

also, the replaced pic should be in CI8 format, and have RGB5A3 as palette format. in other words, the only thing you can change is the number of colors.

if none of these work or are all correct, then your selcharacter might be messed up or something. if all else fails, i'd recommend getting a new common5.pac, and export sc_selcharacter.pac out of that.

OFFTOPIC: Axel csp? i see u like Kingdom Hearts. :D

ejd711

Smash Rookie
i also needed help i put the common5_en.pac in the system folde(using riivolution by the way) and neither my css or csp came up when i tried to use the sc_selcharacter.pac nothing happened but when i use the sc_selcharacter_en.pac my game freezes

blahman179

Smash Cadet
Apparently, the custom character select screen code that comes with Brawl + makes the game freeze.

I can use them with vBrawl and Brawl- perfectly.

So if your using Brawl+, remove the CSS code from the code-set, and you're good to go.

Bread

Smash Rookie
Please help me, I've spent many hours on trying to get my csp's to work but unfortunately without success.

My Brawl is PAL and I use Riivolution.
The texture hacks itself (with few exceptions) work fine and all the file replacement should be alright.

I've considered all of this:

i've been using csp's through selcharacter since i started hacking brawl. consider these:

are the pictures sized as 128x160?
they should be.

is ur selcharacter is in the wrong folder?
it goes like this:
SD->private->wii->app->RSB(?)->pf->menu2(sc_selcharacter.pac is in here)

do you use Gecko OS or Riivolution to run the game?
if you use Riivolution, you got to have the _en part at the end of selcharacter (sc_selcharacter_en.pac). For Gecko, don't.

in brawlbox, are you replacing pictures in the folder marked "palettes" or "textures"?
you should be replacing files in the "textures" section of the miscdata (not that i think u aren't XD )

are you replacing in the right spot?
csp's are here:
BrawlBox(sc_selcharacter_en)->char_bust_tex_lz77->MiscData[?]->Textures(NW4R)->MenSelchrFaceB.???

also, the replaced pic should be in CI8 format, and have RGB5A3 as palette format. in other words, the only thing you can change is the number of colors.

if none of these work or are all correct, then your selcharacter might be messed up or something. if all else fails, i'd recommend getting a new common5.pac, and export sc_selcharacter.pac out of that.

OFFTOPIC: Axel csp? i see u like Kingdom Hearts. :D

So, I replaced the correct "MenSelchrFaceB.???" in Brawl Box.
I then saved the sc_selcharacter_en.pac in private->wii->app->RSBP->pf->menu2. Also, I tried to save the common5_en.pac (I tried common5.pac as well) in private->wii->app->RSBP->pf->system but none of it works.
As I said, my stage and character texutures do work but not the csp's...

I hope this doesn't sound nooby to you but, seriously, I just don't know what to do and tried everything I could find.

JetAurion

Smash Journeyman
Phantom Wings has stated that the PAL version of the File Patch Code may be buggy with CSPs.

Might want to index your CSPs, too, not set them as RGB.

Bread

Smash Rookie
Phantom Wings has stated that the PAL version of the File Patch Code may be buggy with CSPs.
Thanks for your reply.
I don't use the PAL version of the File Patch Code. I used it before with Gecko but I had problems with it (sometimes the game just froze) so I recently stopped using Gecko and started using Riivolution, also because in contrary to Gecko it supports music hacks which I am now able to use.

Might want to index your CSPs, too, not set them as RGB.
What does it mean to index CSPs?
Btw, I use BrawlBox and not CUPASH.

Yesterday I found a guide to using CSPs and there it says that one also has to put InFace###.brres in X:/Private/Wii/App/RSBP/pf/info/portrite/
Where can I find/save the InFace###.brres in BrawlBox (or is this only for CUPASH)?

JetAurion

Smash Journeyman
Err, I use GIMP for this, and am not really picture-savvy, but here goes.

When you download a picture, its color format is usually set to RGB.
With GIMP, go to Image -> Mode, then select Indexed. Setting colors to 128 still gives fair quality without image file sizes being over 40kb.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
This. This is the main problem. First of all, you're placing all of your files in areas of the File Patch Code and not Riivolution. Read this and make sure when you're reading about files that you don't always place them in X:/whatever because that all depends on your smashmods.txt file for Riivolution.

Yesterday I found a guide to using CSPs and there it says that one also has to put InFace###.brres in X:/Private/Wii/App/RSBP/pf/info/portrite/
Where can I find/save the InFace###.brres in BrawlBox (or is this only for CUPASH)?
FYI that has nothing to do with CSPs and no one uses CUPASH.

Bread

Smash Rookie
This. This is the main problem. First of all, you're placing all of your files in areas of the File Patch Code and not Riivolution. Read this and make sure when you're reading about files that you don't always place them in X:/whatever because that all depends on your smashmods.txt file for Riivolution.

FYI that has nothing to do with CSPs and no one uses CUPASH.
Thanks a lot, I just checked that out.
I assume you are right and there's a problem with Riivolution or the folder-structure, respectively.

I now use "Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution" and the CSPs still don't work. Unfortunately, there is no information on how to use the CSP's or on where to put the common5_en.pac.
Btw, everything else, i.e. stage and character textures, custom music and my RSBE01.gct do work.

If anyone could tell me if this .xml (="Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution") is the correct one to use (I assume it should be the right one) for CSPs and where I have to place the common5_en.pac that'd be great.
I feel like I'm very close to the solution now.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
Thanks a lot, I just checked that out.
I assume you are right and there's a problem with Riivolution or the folder-structure, respectively.

I now use "Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution" and the CSPs still don't work. Unfortunately, there is no information on how to use the CSP's or on where to put the common5_en.pac.
Btw, everything else, i.e. stage and character textures, custom music and my RSBE01.gct do work.

If anyone could tell me if this .xml (="Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution") is the correct one to use (I assume it should be the right one) for CSPs and where I have to place the common5_en.pac that'd be great.
I feel like I'm very close to the solution now.
Yes, you are correct.

Double-check the locations and everything, I assume they are correct nonetheless.

Put common5_en in X:/brawlmods/textures/menu2/system/. Put all of your CSPs in common5_en.pac if you haven't already done so. You also don't have to do each CSP one-by-one, just extract-'n'-replace using BrawlBox (hopefully you know how to do this, just right-click the main folder and select 'extract').

They should work by now. Tell me if it doesn't. I've had this problem with Riivolution before. Also, if you need any unmodified file for any reason, click here. It has every single file from the NTSC version of the game (they're identical unless you use another language.) It's also a great way to find out where some files go if you don't know where, I use it all the time. Bookmark it for the future!

If it doesn't just check your CSPs and common5_en.pac because it's a delicate file and must have a regular file size. Everyone else is making it so complicated but at least you're persistent, lol. xD If you're replacing CSPs, really all you do is replace an image with something of the same pixel size and you're fine, it's just file locations or Riivolution causing a problem.

Also, I'm uncertain, but I remember reading upon if you're using a different language other than English in the PAL version of the game and you use Riivolution you have to rename the suffix _en to something else. I don't know if that's true or required, but if you use a different language try looking into that.

Bread

Smash Rookie
Yes, you are correct.

Double-check the locations and everything, I assume they are correct nonetheless.

Put common5_en in X:/brawlmods/textures/menu2/system/. Put all of your CSPs in common5_en.pac if you haven't already done so. You also don't have to do each CSP one-by-one, just extract-'n'-replace using BrawlBox (hopefully you know how to do this, just right-click the main folder and select 'extract').

They should work by now. Tell me if it doesn't. I've had this problem with Riivolution before. Also, if you need any unmodified file for any reason, click here. It has every single file from the NTSC version of the game (they're identical unless you use another language.) It's also a great way to find out where some files go if you don't know where, I use it all the time. Bookmark it for the future!

If it doesn't just check your CSPs and common5_en.pac because it's a delicate file and must have a regular file size. Everyone else is making it so complicated but at least you're persistent, lol. xD If you're replacing CSPs, really all you do is replace an image with something of the same pixel size and you're fine, it's just file locations or Riivolution causing a problem.

Also, I'm uncertain, but I remember reading upon if you're using a different language other than English in the PAL version of the game and you use Riivolution you have to rename the suffix _en to something else. I don't know if that's true or required, but if you use a different language try looking into that.

Thank you so much!! It finally works!
I spent a lot of time on this and now it works... Thanks a lot! :)

That is correct. My language in Brawl is German so I named the common5 "common5_de.pac". This seems to be crucial.
Also, there has to be the exported sc_selcharacter_de.pac in X:\brawlmods\vbrawl\menu2.

In that regard it is important as well that if you use a texture hack for Smashvile, it has to be called STGVILLAGE_00_DE.PAC, STGVILLAGE_01_DE.PAC, etc.

So it seems like that, depending on the language you use, you have to change all "en" to "de" for German, I guess "fr" for French, "es" for Spanish, "it" for Italian and so on (as I said, this is just my guess).

Now that this is fixed, there's still an issue with the background colour of the CSPs.
The CSPs that I have are mostly .tga and when I open them on my computer their background is pinkish. This applies to Brawl as well. I changed the background colour to transparency in GIMP and BrawlBox didn't accept this changed .tga and wouldn't let me replace the original CSP. Luckily, I have the same CSP in .png, too. Changing the background colour to transparency did work here and in Brawl the CSP is just like I want it to be, i.e. there's no pink but a transparent background.
My question now is: Is there an easier way to fix the background colour?
Those people who create the CSP .tga's probably choose pink as the background colour for a good reason.

EDIT: When I wrote "pink" I meant magenta.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
The CSPs that I have are mostly .tga and when I open them on my computer their background is pinkish. This applies to Brawl as well. I changed the background colour to transparency in GIMP and BrawlBox didn't accept this changed .tga and wouldn't let me replace the original CSP. Luckily, I have the same CSP in .png, too. Changing the background colour to transparency did work here and in Brawl the CSP is just like I want it to be, i.e. there's no pink but a transparent background.
My question now is: Is there an easier way to fix the background colour?
Those people who create the CSP .tga's probably choose pink as the background colour for a good reason.
Your welcome. ^_~

I use Paint.NET instead of GIMP, it's just so much simpler. It does not, however, have all of those features like GIMP but it's really helpful.

Because of GIMP's complexity, you must do all of these extra things with the colors and in BrawlBox. What I do is just change it to a PNG file (nothing different from the two) and delete the magenta in Paint.NET. The PNG file must be saved as a 32-bit image. See if that helps.

Sonic Wolf

Smash Rookie

Why aren't my CSPs working? here's what i am doing by the way

1: Making sure the background is deleted.
2: Putting the CSP picture (useualy premade) in Brawlbox where it should be.
3: Saving it.
4: Putting SD card in Wii.
5: Startup Gecko.
6: Go to Group>Brawl then it looks as tho it worked...till I put my courser on a character I Have a CSP on. (it won't show it just shows the default 1)

It won't freeze or anything it just my CSPs don't show thats all. I really want them to show up perfectly.

PS: if sombody can tell me how to make my own CSPs for my own textures then I WILL put them In the Brawl Vault for everybody! :)

MechaWave

Smash Champion
You just had to bump this, didn't you? I need more information. Are you using Riivolution or File Patch Code?

King_Mos

Smash Apprentice
Mechawave you seem to really know what your doing with this stuff so I'll address this to you.

My situation is nearly identical to bread's except I am using Balance Brawl. I'm Aussie, so I'm using the PAL version and am using Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution. My Hacked textures and the Balance brawl mod works fine, but my CSP's wont work.

I'll give you a detailed layout of my SD card because in every different thread/forum/guide I've read they all seem to be different.

With a fresh install of just Balanced Brawl v2 the common5.pac folder path looks like this

private/wii/app/RSBP/pf (contains fighter, stage, System/comman5.pac) & pfmenu2 (contains mu_menumain.pac, sc_selmap.pac & sc_title.pac)

Now I have edited the comman5.pac with brawlbox and have tried adding my own custom CSP's. It didn't work. The file size of common5.pac went from 11,915 KB to 11,917. I wasn't sure if that's what caused it to not work, so I simply exported mario's default outfit and replaced it with falcons default outfit. The file size was the same as the fresh common5.pac but it still didn't work.

At this point I started to read this thread and saw that I might need to rename it common5_en.pac, so I tried that and it still didn't work XD

At the moment this is what my SD card looks like.

root:\\
- riivolution - Config - RSBP.xml
- codehandler.bin
- modlauncher.xml

- brawlmods - bbrawl - (Contains all the files from the Bbrawl v2 pal mod - Including the private/wii/app/ etc. folder detailed above - unmodified)

- textures - fighter
- menu2
- stage
- System (contains comman5.pac)

I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days with no luck. I'm new to the whole modding scene and am surprised I have gotten this far lol. I know it's a massive post but if mechawave/anyone could help me, I would be eternally grateful!

optimuskirby

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
1118-0746-7459
ok, do u have to MAKE the menu 2 folder in balanced brawl?
also, IF this is necroposting (even though the last post was last month) i'm sorry, but please answer my question.

Blackshadowblaze

Smash Rookie

Are you using a Gecko application? If so, cut the common_5.pac into another place other than the system folder. Though funny thing is is that it works with the FPC (or file patch code), but if you change a costume, it changes another characters costume.
I need help on fixing the sc_selcharcter, but other than that, that's how i did it.

But if you are using Riivolution, take out the sc_selcharacter.pac file.

:phone:

Blackshadowblaze

Smash Rookie
Oh yeah, if you are using Gecko, make the file directory exactly as follows

private/wii/app/rsbe/pf/menu2/

And put sc_selcharacter.pac here. Bada bing bada boom.

Blackshadowblaze

Smash Rookie
Mechawave you seem to really know what your doing with this stuff so I'll address this to you.

My situation is nearly identical to bread's except I am using Balance Brawl. I'm Aussie, so I'm using the PAL version and am using Bionic's Brawl Mod Launcher v2.5 for Riivolution. My Hacked textures and the Balance brawl mod works fine, but my CSP's wont work.

I'll give you a detailed layout of my SD card because in every different thread/forum/guide I've read they all seem to be different.

With a fresh install of just Balanced Brawl v2 the common5.pac folder path looks like this

private/wii/app/RSBP/pf (contains fighter, stage, System/comman5.pac) & pfmenu2 (contains mu_menumain.pac, sc_selmap.pac & sc_title.pac)

Now I have edited the comman5.pac with brawlbox and have tried adding my own custom CSP's. It didn't work. The file size of common5.pac went from 11,915 KB to 11,917. I wasn't sure if that's what caused it to not work, so I simply exported mario's default outfit and replaced it with falcons default outfit. The file size was the same as the fresh common5.pac but it still didn't work.

At this point I started to read this thread and saw that I might need to rename it common5_en.pac, so I tried that and it still didn't work XD

- codehandler.bin
- modlauncher.xml

- brawlmods - bbrawl - (Contains all the files from the Bbrawl v2 pal mod - Including the private/wii/app/ etc. folder detailed above - unmodified)

- textures - fighter
- menu2
- stage

I have been trying to figure this out for 3 days with no luck. I'm new to the whole modding scene and am surprised I have gotten this far lol. I know it's a massive post but if mechawave/anyone could help me, I would be eternally grateful!
First off, I wouldn't recommend BBrawl or Balanced Brawl because it puts you on diddys level. Second, I would use the File replacement code v3.5.1 to do this. If you have a sc_selcharacter and would like to use it, make this file directory and paste it here:

private/wii/app/rsbe if American,rsbj if japanese, and rsbu if European/pf/menu2/"paste here"

Blackshadowblaze

Smash Rookie

- codehandler.bin
- modlauncher.xml

- textures - fighter
- menu2
- stage

First off, I wouldn't recommend BBrawl or Balanced Brawl because it puts you on diddys level. Second, I would use the File replacement code v3.5.1 to do this. If you have a sc_selcharacter and would like to use it, make this file directory and paste it here:

private/wii/app/rsbe if American,rsbj if japanese, and rsbp if European/pf/menu2/"paste here"

Korba

Smash Rookie
Nothing anymore. Found out the way with Modlauncher. PM me if you want more info!

TheGardiunAzelf

Smash Rookie
Rivvolution being stupid

Please help me, I've spent many hours on trying to get my csp's to work but unfortunately without success.

The texture hacks itself (with few exceptions) work fine and all the file replacement should be alright.

I've considered all of this:

So, I replaced the correct "MenSelchrFaceB.???" in Brawl Box.
I then saved the sc_selcharacter_en.pac in private->wii->app->RSBP->pf->menu2. Also, I tried to save the common5_en.pac (I tried common5.pac as well) in private->wii->app->RSBP->pf->system but none of it works.
As I said, my stage and character texutures do work but not the csp's...

I hope this doesn't sound nooby to you but, seriously, I just don't know what to do and tried everything I could find.
I've been having the same problem, but all im trying to replace is csp and css textures
No luck...
it freezes whenever I pick a group or a single player mode

XerneasXD

Smash Rookie
To everyone having this problem when freezing occurs when you click on Brawl:
1. Make sure that common5_en.pac is renamed to common5.pac
2. Make sure that the file is 11,919 KB and no larger
3. Make sure you put common5.pac in the system folder (SD Drive/private/wii/app/RSBE/pf/system)

Top Bottom