• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Saving up money for a next gen console- The Struggle

Booster

Smash Lord
Is anybody else having difficulty saving up for a next gen console? Personally I am. I also think the prices are bull****. The price for Wii U is fine (Still hard to save up to $200 though at $20 a week) but PS4 and XboxOne are a different story. $400? $500?!?! WHAT THE ****!?! What happened here? Weren't videogame consoles $200 NEW at one point in time? I saw in an AVGN video that Atari 7800 and NES were each $100, again somebody tell me...what the hell happened? It's clear that game developers have gotten greedy.

THEN to top it off, none of the next gen consoles even have anything worthy of those $400 and $500 prices except for ports of 360 and PS3 games and some Indie bull ****. My poor friend (We'll call him Captain N) wants all three consoles, which if using money saving deals will cost a MINIMUM of $1,000 ($1,100 assuming he wants Kinect for XboxOne), and he brings up a good point and I'm going to use his words: "Why the **** can't those ****ing assholes work together" HE'S TOO ****ING NICE

finalark

SNORLAX
Is anybody else having difficulty saving up for a next gen console? Personally I am. I also think the prices are bull****. The price for Wii U is fine (Still hard to save up to $200 though at $20 a week) but PS4 and XboxOne are a different story. $400? $500?!?! WHAT THE ****!?! What happened here? Weren't videogame consoles $200 NEW at one point in time? I saw in an AVGN video that Atari 7800 and NES were each $100, again somebody tell me...what the hell happened? It's clear that game developers have gotten greedy.
Inflation. Inflation is what happened. Also, the 7800 was $139 and the NES was $199. Adjusting for inflation that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 and $350, respectively.

THEN to top it off, none of the next gen consoles even have anything worthy of those $400 and $500 prices except for ports of 360 and PS3 games and some Indie bull ****. My poor friend (We'll call him Captain N) wants all three consoles, which if using money saving deals will cost a MINIMUM of $1,000 ($1,100 assuming he wants Kinect for XboxOne), and he brings up a good point and I'm going to use his words: "Why the **** can't those ****ing *******s work together" HE'S TOO ****ING NICE
If you're expecting there to be anything worthwhile within the first few months of a new console being launched, prepare to be disappointed. Most consoles take at least 1-2 years of being on the market to build up a respectable library that justifies a purchase.

Saving for a new console isn't really that bad if you're willing to put aside some money from your paycheck every two weeks/however often you get paid. I mean, it can be a pain given that you're cutting yourself off from just a little bit of your funds. But really, there's no reason to get a next-gen console right now IMO. Wii U is pretty solid if you like platformers but aside from that there's still a lot of stuff coming out for current gen consoles.

Booster

Smash Lord
Inflation. Inflation is what happened. Also, the 7800 was $139 and the NES was $199. Adjusting for inflation that would be somewhere in the neighborhood of $250 and $350, respectively.

If you're expecting there to be anything worthwhile within the first few months of a new console being launched, prepare to be disappointed. Most consoles take at least 1-2 years of being on the market to build up a respectable library that justifies a purchase.

Saving for a new console isn't really that bad if you're willing to put aside some money from your paycheck every two weeks/however often you get paid. I mean, it can be a pain given that you're cutting yourself off from just a little bit of your funds. But really, there's no reason to get a next-gen console right now IMO. Wii U is pretty solid if you like platformers but aside from that there's still a lot of stuff coming out for current gen consoles.
Well thanks for helping, that would make sense, I was confused and enraged for the longest time how consoles use to be incredibly cheap (Gameboy was $50!) and now to get them all costs more then a used car on Craigslist

Top Bottom