• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Save replays to SD (Wii) and replay on Dolphin (PC)?

Broasty

Smash Journeyman
Is it somehow possible to save one's replays to an SD card from the Wii and later play these replays on PM via Dolphin? If such, how can such a thing be done? If such a thing can be done, then making videos would be a cake walk!

Zeldastriker

Smash Apprentice
Step 1: Ensure you are using the hackless set to avoid desyncs
Step 2: Save your replays (on console)
Step 3: Move the contents of your SD card to a folder on your computer, ensuring you keep the same filepath to the replays (basically, just move the root)
Step 4: Download Easy Dolphin SD Card Maker (just do a Google search, it's right there)
Step 5: Insert the contents of your SD card (the same stuff you moved to your computer earlier) into the created sd.raw image using Winimage
Step 6: Move sd.raw to the \Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\ directory, and in Dolphin, go to config>Wii>Insert SD card and check it
Step 7: ???
Step 8: PROFIT!!!

At least, I think that should work. Let me know, I might like to try it sometime as well. ALSO: I recommend using a custom Project M ISO for this because it's a huge pain to load Project M in Dolphin otherwise. Just Google "SSBB mod custom ISO builder" and follow the instructions on gbatemp if you don't already know how to do it.

Y-L

Smash Champion
You need Gecko OS to do this (easy to find a download for), follow what the guy above said except make sure you right click brawl and set to default iso then to load PM hit open on Dolphin and navigate to boot.elf in the Gecko OS folder. Should work as long as you have wifi set.

Google Dolphin Project M Virtual SD card and there are plenty of guides. Just put the replay where it normally saves in the PM files.

Last edited:

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
Would anybody on the forums be willing to start a service of recording Project M replays for people?

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
Would anybody on the forums be willing to start a service of recording Project M replays for people?
I "Would" Gladly love to record them in video format if thats what you mean (I'm not entirley sure if that would be allowed for the Turbo mode contest if that's what this is about) I have a GTX 780Ti that can record perfect quality videos unlike any other game capture device, using Nvidia's new Shadowplay in Geforce Experience. UNFORTUNATLEY I'm one of the few rare individuals who has been hit with a bug that does not show me a desktop capture checkbox, which is required since dolphin does not use TRUE Fullscreen. As soon as that bug is fixed I would gladly take peoples replays for them. Sadly I dont think any updates will be happening to geforce experience until after the Turbo mode contest :(
EDIT: apparently dolphin devs are currently working on exclusive fullscreen, justn ot sure when it will be implemented. Issue 6713

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
What would internet speed have to do with recording?

I use OBS, I have an i5 4690k + Radeon HD 7770 (cpu is more important for recording).

Also referencing your previous post you can go to options->graphics settings and check render to main window then on the view tab hide everything and that is essentially full screen, just use game capture or window capture with a sub region.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
What would internet speed have to do with recording?

I use OBS, I have an i5 4690k + Radeon HD 7770 (cpu is more important for recording).

Also referencing your previous post you can go to options->graphics settings and check render to main window then on the view tab hide everything and that is essentially full screen, just use game capture or window capture with a sub region.

Obviously doesn't understand that videos have this thing called "bitrate" which is scaled in megabytes per second, which essentially scale how compressed a video is(more mbps=less compression=better quality)
Also, I do render to main window, but what your suggesting still does not fit under the classification of "exclusive fullscreen". exclusive fullscreen is essentialy lockign you into the main window. But with dolphin you can still move your mouse between windows/monitors.
AND shadowplay does not currently use sub regions, and even if they did you didnt read my post clearly enough -_-
UNFORTUNATLEY I'm one of the few rare individuals who has been hit with a bug that does not show me a desktop capture checkbox
Shadowplay captures exclusive fullscreen programs. Dolphin is not exclusive fullscreen meaning the desktop capture mode is required. I dont have it because Geforce Experince 2.1 is bugged for me.

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion

Obviously doesn't understand that videos have this thing called "bitrate" which is scaled in megabytes per second, which essentially scale how compressed a video is(more mbps=less compression=better quality)
Also, I do render to main window, but what your suggesting still does not fit under the classification of "exclusive fullscreen". exclusive fullscreen is essentialy lockign you into the main window. But with dolphin you can still move your mouse between windows/monitors.
AND shadowplay does not currently use sub regions, and even if they did you didnt read my post clearly enough -_-

Shadowplay captures exclusive fullscreen programs. Dolphin is not exclusive fullscreen meaning the desktop capture mode is required. I dont have it because Geforce Experince 2.1 is bugged for me.
I keep my bitrate at 1000, no need to be rude.
I'm sorry you're having issues with shadowplay but OBS works just fine for 1080p/60 fps recording for me.

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
I keep my bitrate at 1000, no need to be rude.
I'm sorry you're having issues with shadowplay but OBS works just fine for 1080p/60 fps recording for me.
.....I wasn't being rude, Im sure I come off like that, but I'm often analytical, dont take it personal :p
but just for information, 1000 is nowhere near decent enough for SD video, much less HD video. Decent HD should be around 8000, while blu-rays use around 20000-30000. Shadowplay can capture up to 50000. you would get much better video by upping the bitrate, you're currently capturing at 1mbps.
This video has lost a bit of quality when I uploaded it to youtube, but it's still very good.
Watch in 1080p ;P

Last edited:

Y-L

Smash Champion
.....I wasn't being rude, Im sure I come off like that, but I'm often analytical, dont take it personal :p
but just for information, 1000 is nowhere near decent enough for SD video, much less HD video. Decent HD should be around 8000, while blu-rays use around 20000-30000. Shadowplay can capture up to 50000. you would get much better video by upping the bitrate, you're currently capturing at 1mbps.
This video has lost a bit of quality when I uploaded it to youtube, but it's still very good.
Watch in 1080p ;P
Upped it to 30000.. still runs just fine.

Y-L

Smash Champion
how did you capture a whole new gameplay in a whole new bit rate, and view it enough to see no quality difference within 6 minutes of me posting. you cant just up an existing video.
I did not up an existing video, I went and recorded two different gameplays. The point being that I can record in max settings fine, which is what OP wants. The point being that I can record with max settings fine without gameplay stutters/lag, which is what OP wants.

Last edited:

Winchester7314

Smash Journeyman
I did not up an existing video, I went and recorded two different gameplays. The point being that I can record in max settings fine, which is what OP wants. The point being that I can record with max settings fine without gameplay stutters/lag, which is what OP wants.
ahhh I see what you mean, but do you notice a difference in the quality then?

Last edited:

smasher2107

Smash Rookie
Step 1: Ensure you are using the hackless set to avoid desyncs
Step 2: Save your replays (on console)
Step 3: Move the contents of your SD card to a folder on your computer, ensuring you keep the same filepath to the replays (basically, just move the root)
Step 4: Download Easy Dolphin SD Card Maker (just do a Google search, it's right there)
Step 5: Insert the contents of your SD card (the same stuff you moved to your computer earlier) into the created sd.raw image using Winimage
Step 6: Move sd.raw to the \Documents\Dolphin Emulator\Wii\ directory, and in Dolphin, go to config>Wii>Insert SD card and check it
Step 7: ???
Step 8: PROFIT!!!

At least, I think that should work. Let me know, I might like to try it sometime as well. ALSO: I recommend using a custom Project M ISO for this because it's a huge pain to load Project M in Dolphin otherwise. Just Google "SSBB mod custom ISO builder" and follow the instructions on gbatemp if you don't already know how to do it.
I've just tried doing this and it didn't work. On Dolphin when I go into replays in vault it says there is no data. As if Dolphin wouldn't recognize my replay files from my Wii. On the other hand if I create a replay file by playing on Dolphin and try to play it on my Wii it actually works. I don't have any idea why this happens.

I have the same Project M wifi safe set in both the Wii and Dolphin and also used the other programs mentioned in the instructions above. The only difference between playing Project M on my Wii and on Dolphin would be the way I boot them up. On my Wii I use the normal method by going into Brawl's custom stage option and on Dolphin I have to go through Gecko app to play. I don't know if this is relevant but it's the only difference. Please help! I want to upload some games.

EDIT: Solved it. Don't use WinImage. Use the program for editing virtual SD cards as instructed here https://wiki.dolphin-emu.org/index.php?title=Virtual_SD_Card_Guide

Last edited:
Top Bottom