• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

San Diego Fund Raiser (postpoed due to conflicting dates with triweeklies)

spiffo

Smash Cadet
I'm thinking of holding a fund raiser for one of the south bay YMCA's programs.

As far as prizes go I obviously cant give away the entrance fee pot, but I think that we could possibly recieve some sort of donations. or something out of my own pocket.

---idea canned ---2 separate brackets since its fully open. one for pros and one for the regular people who just wanna help out. Some sort of screening will have to go be in place to ensure no pros in the noob bracket. --- idea canned ---

Entrance fee would be a low. $5

will be held at a YMCA in the area

update 11/21
okay. i´d like this to be final. try to spread the word around some more
WHEN: JAN 20th 11:00
WHERE South Bay YMCA's teen center
http://southbay.ymca.org/map.php
South Bay YMCA
1201 Paseo Magda
Chula Vista 91910

when you go there keep going until to pass the actual YMCA's pool and you'll see a place on the left. go there
COST: $5
Estimated Attendance: 30+ ish (lets try to get that higher!)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Let me know what date it is because I don't want any conflicting tournments in San Diego County. I'm looking at running mine Thanksgiving weekend or Early December.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
consider this a fairly low priority thing. I dont expect any sort of ridiculous attendance in any way. but most probably 4th or 5th... but thats kinda close...hmm poo

Sure Dave

Smash Apprentice
I might possibly go if it's not on the same day as triweeklies. I don't like the whole pro/n00b bracket idea, I think everyone should be in the same bracket. Or maybe we can just have a smash fest.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
well the bracket thing is since its a community fund raiser thing cant expect Link-fan_ Joe to go up against Dr_wavedash_to_the_groin... but... I'm getting a vibe that there wont be a large community presence.... so maybe no noob bracket

broadcasting

Smash Apprentice
I'm thinking of holding a fund raiser for one of the south bay YMCA's programs. sort of a charity benefit but not really.
Then what exactly is the money going to
As far as prizes go I obviously cant give away the entrance fee pot, but I think that we could possibly recieve some sort of donations more on this later should this idea flesh out.
Then what will be the motivator to attend such a thing

2 separate brackets since its fully open. one for pros and one for the regular people who just wanna help out. Some sort of screening will have to go be in place to ensure no pros in the noob bracket.
I think you should just keep everyone together sense you're low on prizes
Entrance fee would probably be low I'm thinking $5 for noob level $10 for pro or something like that but once again nothing is decided.
it should be 10 or 5 for everyone or 5 for singles and 5 for teams

Umm I think that is everything so people who might be able to show up sorta start proclaiming it so I can see what's up
I most def would love to come and bring my crew. But I'm confused on how these work (never been or heared about a charity event). So if you can please be more specific, at least for me, it would help me.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
the money would go to the South bay YMCA's Youth and government program. the reason I say "charty benefit" is because it sounds nicer than fund raiser. but I dont think we qualify as a charity.

the motivation is helping! And I've been told the last time this event was attempted (with halo. boo) they managed to recieve prize donations, should this seem to get enough attention we could probably manage something.

I'm thinking that there wont be any need for a noob bracket anymore... so thats looking like its gonna be normal. and as for teams... I dont know a ton about it. but sure it can be set up if enough people want it.

basically (and hopefully) it would be just like a regular event. except that you cant win the pot money.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
alos since early november is kind of too soon. after Wii release date would these things becom obsolete? if not possibly early december might be better time for this VERY doubtful as to this being ready soon enough.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
hmm. well unless broadcasting's crew is about 22 people. this probably isn't enough people. (See: shameless bump)

paulmitchel haircare

Smash Apprentice
Sadly no, my crew is made up of me and three girls. But maybe sure dave would bring his 3 and I know Edress is always down for smashing and knowing him he will maybe attract pha and azn lep. The condo crew is always down to. So is romen shop.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
The Ramen Shop (about 8 or 9 people) would gladly go if this is after marching season and if it's less than an hour away. We live in Rancho Penasquitos, so let us know where and when and I'll see what I can do. Also, I definitely suggest only 1 bracket. MLG rules too, right?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
yep. I'd like to change as little as possible (non cash prize winner aside)
this will probably take place in the chula vista area some weekend in early december. I'll post some big gaudy update to the title once I can get a definite time and place.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Chula Vista? I think we can make that. Early December? I think we can make that. Very cool.

Rickety

Peace and Love
Peace and Love.... <3

Smashing for charity is the big draw :] All proceeds are donated to those who need it, not top 3 finishers :]

<3
rickety

spiffo

Smash Cadet
well like I said. its not so much charity as a fund raiser. dont wanna give a false impression of EXTREME NOBILITY. But if this works out I'd love to do it more often for real charities. though that plan might have to wait for the Wii installation.

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Yeah, the Ramen Shop lives about 30 miles away, so we should be able to make it to this. Cool stuff, smashing for a good cause.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
allright. One last frontpage inducing bump. tomorrow I can get you some specifics on when where and stuff.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
alright. I've been given sort of free reign of the South Bay YMCA's teen center. I was thinking either thanksgiving's long weekend. if those days work for people or if not that same sunday the 26th. OR the weekend after that there is also a sunday. I dont now if church is a large problem for people or anything so... lemme know what you can or can't do.
I'm gonna count up the attendance estimate. 5 bucks is about all it'll be.
anything else feel free to ask

TEAM KFC = how many people?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
crap he's right. cant compete with pandatration. that'd be fairly stupid ANY days f the thanksgiving weekend? or maybe the 10th of december....?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
well It cant be the 3rd... but no one else will tell me when they CAN. sooo I´m gonna say the 10th for now. around noonish until we´re done/kicked out no PLEASE answer me and tell me if you can go (and who you´re bringing)

spiffo

Smash Cadet
alright update. Some local "crew" will be there (do me a favor and beat them as they are cocky)

zuloon

Smash Journeyman
Hey, dude, my friend has never played, can he sneak in for free?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
slight change guys. December16th its a saturday. we'll open up at 11. matches start at noon.

zuloon: your friend is welome to watch and participate in some friendlies but not the actual tournament

goldenmuffin: huh?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
oh wow. I cant believe I spaced that badly. I forgot to give an address... nice link with map and all here ya go people http://southbay.ymca.org/map.php
South Bay YMCA
1201 Paseo Magda
Chula Vista 91910

but little extra tidbit. when you go there keep going until to pass the actual YMCA's pool and you'll see a place on the left. go there

Zephyr

Smash Lord
Ignore my last post. If you didn't get it the first time, it won't be funny if I explain it to you.

I looked on Google Earth, is the large rectangularish building next to the pool the one we're looking for?

spiffo

Smash Cadet
I doubt it. when going there you cant miss it. It should be crossing the street.

on that little map link I sent the pool is where the thumbtack is, and the teen center is on the other side of that paseo ranchero street.

spiffo

Smash Cadet
umm ok well few others things to settle. I was thinking we'd have 3 "tournament" TV's and cube's and maybe a couple for friendlies off to the sides. that might mean borrowin some so if anyone can, feel free to volunteer as we have I think 3 at the moment.

Also MLG rules as far as I know allows for best of 3 the whole way through and best of 5 in semi finals and finals. If I'm wrong correct me. and If you think thats excessive also mention it. The only thing is I'm fairly sure some people might need will be a list of allowed stages. double blinds and whatnot... I doubt there will be any need for that.

anything else any other concerns?

Top Bottom