• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's Instant Dash Attack (universal tech)

How would you rate this thread's format and usefulness/relevance?

• Yes, well made and very informative. *thumbs up*

• No, poorly made and not very helpful. *thumbs down*

Results are only viewable after voting.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608

Hello everyone, :213: here with a (not so brand new) tech! Many of you probably accept this as common knowledge, but this is for those who haven't heard of it. Some of you may even know of the alternate version using BIDOU http://smashboards.com/threads/my-smash-corner-the-bidou-tech.433762/ . But I'm just here to keep things simple and explain how and why to implement this this tech into your :4samus: gameplay if you haven't already.

First off I'd like to give credit to @Izaw for introducing myself and others to this tech via his "Art of Sheik" video uploaded months ago (which you can find here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2Tswo8Pimg ). Any character can perform this tech using the same exact method I am about to show you, but each character gets different use out of it depending on their dash attack. With Samus's recent buffs to her dash attack, and it being a strong combo starter, I believe that it is worth everyone's time to learn this simple tech.

So the usual input for a dash attack is hitting :GCA: while dashing in either direction, right? Well, there is another method of doing a dash attack. All you have to do is flick the :GCCN: :GCCD: while dashing (your :GCCN: must be set to attack).

This alone isn't much of a difference, obviously. But what if I told you that you can
INSTANTLY do a dash attack out of standing position? Well, you can! And here is how.

Simply, from standing position, flick your :GCN: in either the :GCL: or :GCR: direction and
AT THE SAME TIME (almost like a smash attack) flick your :GCCN: :GCCD: like so. This will result in an instant dash attack from standing position! A frame perfect dash attack. Congratulations, you just learned a new tech! :chuckle: With this tech you can basically spam dash attack on the ground to cover opponent's landings from the air, or punish moves stronger out of your shield.

With Samus's new dash attack hitbox in Patch 1.1.5 http://smashboards.com/threads/1-1-5-patch-notes.433162/ this tech just became a whole lot more conventional! Since the hitbox starts on frame 8 (that's pretty quick!) applying this tech up close to an opponent will more reliably net you hits with it, thus allowing you to get more combos in! This new dash attack is truly devastating. Many of Samus's moves can combo into it and it can even set up for some nice 50/50s if your opponent decides to air dodge too high up.

For more information on what kinds of follow-ups you can get off of dash attacks check out this thread by DungeonMaster DungeonMaster on all of Samus's follow-ups including from dash attack. For the most part, even with the different hitbox, mostly all of these combos still apply normally. With only slight tweaks in percentage windows, and DI options.

The Complete Samus Combo and String List:
http://smashboards.com/threads/the-complete-samus-combo-and-string-list.391853/

So yeah, that is all. I really hope you all start implementing this tech into your gameplay if you haven't already. It really offers a lot of amazing options for our humble bounty hunter. Especially doing it out of shield up close to punish a poor spacing choice from our opponents. Covering options our opponents think they're safe in, and much more.

Thank you all for reading, and I hope to see you all again soon. :213: out.

Meta_X

Smash Apprentice
All you have to do is flick the :GCCN: :GCCD: while dashing (your :GCCN: must be set to attack).
The c-stick doesn't have to be set to Attack, you can use it to dash attack when it's set to Smash aka default. (unless you just meant it has to be set to one of the attack options :p) Although I guess maybe Attack might be needed to let you flick the same frame as you dash? That would save you a couple frames I suppose but isn't totally necessary.
I know it works with Smash stick because I use Smash stick and instant dash attack is super important with Meta Knight lol. (which sucks for me because my 3DS cstick doesn't register down inputs half the time :urg: I've had to transition to quickly sliding the analog stick from right/left to down and pressing A, which also works but not quite as easily)

Last edited:

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Yep, this is absolutely essential for this character. I've said so in many places, the compendium, the combo thread and video. It should become second nature if it isn't already.
Dash attack is the foundation of this character.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
The c-stick doesn't have to be set to Attack, you can use it to dash attack when it's set to Smash aka default. (unless you just meant it has to be set to one of the attack options :p) Although I guess maybe Attack might be needed to let you flick the same frame as you dash? That would save you a couple frames I suppose but isn't totally necessary.
I know it works with Smash stick because I use Smash stick and instant dash attack is super important with Meta Knight lol. (which sucks for me because my 3DS cstick doesn't register down inputs half the time :urg: I've had to transition to quickly sliding the analog stick from right/left to down and pressing A, which also works but not quite as easily)
I stated it must be set to attack mainly because that's how I was taught to do it, plus having it set to attack is most optimal all-around if you're playing Samus.

Shuckle_SSB

Smash Apprentice
NNID
DarkFire5136
3DS FC
4124-5307-8608
Yep, this is absolutely essential for this character. I've said so in many places, the compendium, the combo thread and video. It should become second nature if it isn't already.
Dash attack is the foundation of this character.
I literally didn't notice it was you saying that at first DungeonMaster DungeonMaster LOL. Also, thanks for pointing out that it has been said in other places before. Just trying to make sure people put this to use.

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
If you don't use the cstick the tech can also be performed by imputting dash and then moving the main stick down before pressing A. I use this method since I started with the the 3ds version and like to keep my fingers on my face buttons.

Last edited:
Top Bottom