• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus's bomb grapple beam cancel/Extended Grapple beam.

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
So is the Project M team interested in bringing back Samus's ability to use her aerial grapple beam out of a grounded bomb boost? and are they interested in making her areal grapple beam bomb cancel-able like it was in Melee? You know those flashy and useful tricks Wes used to use. Because the bombs used to cancel out the lag plus that allowed you to use the grapple beam as an attack on your way back to the stage during your bomb jump instead of as a recovery tool. I mean it did have viable applications in melee and was another option in her aresenal. So I guess I just want to know if you guys tried to bring it back but couldn't or if you you guys simply didn't want to bring it back?

Oh and also less importantly but what about the Melee extended grapple beam range taunt trick? Would you guys ever consider bringing that back just for how fun it is to mess around with.

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
lol ^ dude.
If you have PM, do this:

On level ground you'll want to
Hit X or Y, then
Hit L or R, then
Hit A or Z, then
realize that there isn't much landing lag anyway with a short-hop Zair

Do you even go here?
doesn't go here.jpg

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I know that Extender is basically impossible.

As for bomb grapple canceling, I don't know if it's been tried, but I'm sure it has, since there were a lot of neat applications, like grapple to provide space for a bomb jump missile cancel, and other stuff. I know that in general, it's been a struggle to get bombs working right. They haven't been able to get it to explode on shield, yet. Probably related to why they couldn't make Mario's cape turn shielding opponents around without it also damaging them.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It is probably possible to do something like the extender but it is impossible to make it home in on the opponent.
What about the grab box coming out only when A is pressed, and not before?

MonkUnit

Project M Back Roomer
What about the grab box coming out only when A is pressed, and not before?
Yes, that should also be possible.
As a PAL i missed out on the extender. Did it actually have any use other than 'for the lulz'?
like, is it Zair too?
The Extender only changed her grab in Melee. It tripled the length, had no grabbox unless you pressed A, and homed in when holding L. It can be used for techchases but its usually just a funny thing to use.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Extender was strictly better than normal grab, although not by much in realistic applications. It still lost to jump, and was still rather telegraphed, but it had no more start-up or cool-down than normal grab. Moreover, being able to trigger the grab box and home in meant that if your opponent didn't react perfectly, you could hold the tip over them and grab them when they became vulnerable. With practice, you could maneuver around platforms and such, and even grab opponents below you.

All in all, the weakness to jumping kept it pretty well relegated to punishment for players who were lazy about shielding, and not much else, so it usually wasn't worth the time needed to input it. It usually made more sense to charge up a charge shot, since that was clearly better than an uncharged shot.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The PMBR can really only work with what's already in the code. They can move all that stuff around and make it look new and seamless, but they can't create new code for the game. The extender would be new code, since the instructions for it don't exist in Brawl. The Melee devs could do it, because they were writing all of their code from scratch.

Metaphorically, the Melee devs were working with Play-Doh, and the PMBR are working with Duplo.

Narpas_sword

need more duplo practice then. =p

private boolean extender;

public void grab(boolean extender) {
if (extender){
//Extender replaces 'grab'
//this move fires a homing missile with improved turning ability.
//the missile is replaced graphically with the grapple beam gfx
//missile has a hitbox flag like falcon's raptorboost, once a hit is confirmed, missile changes to a grapple beam hitbox and pulls opponent in.​

}else{
//Normal grab stuff​
}​
}

except, you know, in whatever language brawl uses.
im guessing not something OO =p.

and im aware that what i said is still impossible lol

Last edited:

RomeDogg

Smash Journeyman
So no one answered weather or not the Project M team wants to put the bomb canceled grapple beam in though. Thats the biggest question I have.

Litt

Samus
its not really needed, when you have Zair so good as is...
Honestly though, Id rather have the bomb cancels than the current z air, they give you a mix up option while recovering that makes it almost impossible to read, just have to guess if you are gonna cancel it or not :p

Top Bottom