• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus v Marth Help?

Corigames

Smash Hero
Hylian too, don't forget him.

And there are people with blue names called "Directors" who can be just as n00bish as everyone else :p

Beat

Smash Ace
It's not a matter of whether or not your advice is good. I just wish that before people post their ideas on this match-up, they'd look at the previous posts to see if what they were going to suggest was already posted.

Perhaps I'm nit-picking or acting crabby, but every time I check peoples' replies, they seem to repeat others. I know there are other good Sami out there, I'll quickly acknowledge that I'm far from amazing, etc. However, my points still stand...

RobMoNeY

Smash Cadet
Hello Smashboards. It's me. Chocobo.

I guess most of you don't know me. Anyways, lately I've discovered something. I play some of the best Marths in my area (Cactuar, who is undoubtedly finding my thread because he searches for his own name, and Lord Knight), and yet I still can't come up with a decent counter-strategy to the tipper-happy swordsman.

So, any of you wiser Sami out there, care to shed some light on this subject?

I don't have any recent videos of my vs Marth game, so I'll attempt to discribe it... I try to keep MArth at bay with ftilt, but it's an ordeal at times. Also, I can spam like any Samus (though if any of you know me, you know I'm notoriously fast and close-ranged for a Samus), but Marth simply slashes his way towards me.

I'm having trouble against SCRUBBY Marths now. PLEASE. Someone give me a clue about the finer points of the match-up, the more specific, the better.

Thanks. Chocobo loves you.
Me two i fight almost the best marths in my area and they kick my *** all the the time but now looking at this forms i learned to beat the marths! Also thx for starting with this form i relly needed this!!!

Corigames

Smash Hero
Me two i fight almost the best marths in my area and they kick my *** all the the time but now looking at this forms i learned to beat the marths! Also thx for starting with this form i relly needed this!!!
I... but... how... what are... hmmmm... English?

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
Regardless of the advice any of you worthless Samus players can give... I will still be able to beat him. And all of you.

*cactus dances all over the Samus threads, leaving needles everywhere for the Samus mod to clean up*

<3 Cactus

Beat

Smash Ace
Regardless of the advice any of you worthless Samus players can give... I will still be able to beat him. And all of you.

*cactus dances all over the Samus threads, leaving needles everywhere for the Samus mod to clean up*

<3 Cactus
I guess it's that time of the month? ^.^

3Years

Smash Lord

<3 Cactus
wow that was a lil 2 harsh dont u think:(

Geist

Smash Master
This is what's happening in this thread.

People are saying things, I'm replying, and then spammers show up and repeat what's already been said without contributing anything original/intelligent.

Please read the posts already in this thread. If you don't have anything new to say, keep quiet.

Thank ya. Baibai.
Alright I looked. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been said.
When I face Marth, the first obvious priority of mine is to get him out of my face. His move priority is too high, and I cant stand his range. >.>
the best way to do this for me is to mix up a variation of short hop missile cancelling and double missiles. If he gets too close I bomb spam to space him back. It works really well when combo'd with nair.

well everything else thats worth saying has been said already. =/
geeze my spamus seems to play differently than everyone else here. >.>

ps apparently many of my marth friends say that they hate fighting samus. *shrugs*

Beat

Smash Ace
Well, I (foolishly) play a Samus who's a bit stingy when it comes to using missiles... So yeh, my style is rather different. I'm going to see how far it takes me before I hit a wall.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
Seeing as how I'm new to these forums I don't know all the abbreviated terms and such but I've been playing Samus since the first smash bros game. In general unless I'm using a character with a sword I get very frustrated against Marth players but I do have one interesting little trick that hasn't been mentioned yet:
Whenever I get close and he hits me with an Fsmash - the moment I feel the controller rumble I press L and roll forward straight away then Fsmash with a downward angle which always sends him into the air, then Fair city with a couple of Nairs and if he goes over the edge then a meteor.

It might be a little tricky to master it but once you get a hang of instant rolling you can use the ground to immediately stop you from getting airborne up until you reach damages in excess of 150%.
I'm able to do this with all of my characters so the thing I'm known most for in my area is my ability to survive from meteors and heavy smashes at damages in excess of 200% which helps to maximize the use of each life.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
I was going to make a snide remark... but that is basically all that post said.
Right.... I'm not sure that I even said that but anyways: I also forgot to mention that attempting to jump away from his attacks just gets you closer to the tip of his sword so the easiest way to put distance between you and him in a tight situation is to use the lightest shield possible which will recoil you away at which point you can use the grapple before his attack ends.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Or, if you trust your ability to space your own moves, you could wavedash back to an f tilt. One of my favorite ways to beat a marth is stay just out of range and punish his approach with f tilts.

Watty

Smash Lord
young cactuar i shall mm yee at pound sir 5 dollars plz and thank you oh so much

Beat

Smash Ace
1. No, but it's still the internet.
2. That wouldn't even work on 4chan, as gifs aren't animated when they appear in threads.
3. Looking at your sig, you have no room to complain.
1. That's not an adequately intelligent counter-argument.
2. I'm not going to touch why that's irrelevant.
3. My signature isn't the same as my posts.

In response to the moneymatch remark, Pound might be a little costly for me, but find me if I go. I'm loud enough that it won't be much of a challenge to do so.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Adequately intelligent counter-arguments aren't usually found on the internet anyway; so, by trying to enforce that upon other people, you are making a larger fool of yourself than the people that are fooling around to begin with. The square block doesn't go into the circular hole.

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
***disclaimer***
i have read every single post in this thread before putting my reply. i just feel that had to be said

so anyway...
-MORE MISSILEZ!!!!@@@!!!
-us samus players are intelligent, we are just a light-hearted folk who joke around at times
-none of us have secondaries that compliment our main well in singles play
-marth may have priority over samus in the air, but not if he isn't doing any attack...
-with proper spacing and mindgames upB camping can work, quite well actually

see? i did read everything in the thread, and i was able to comment on most parts of it lol

im not too good at fighting marths, but iv been getting a good amount of practice. i rely on my upBs, missiles, and sheilding and playing campy. then once he messes up, or i get a good setup after upB'ing on a platform stage, then its tmie for aerial attacks

Beat

Smash Ace
-marth may have priority over samus in the air, but not if he isn't doing any attack...
-with proper spacing and mindgames upB camping can work, quite well actually
-Ahem? No Samus mains have complementary secondaries? Have we met before?
-Point taken. Still, you KNOW that missiles are going to do crapola to LK and Cactoid.
-Here's the thing with upB out of shield. You can't really space it. You have to rely on the Marth in question being silly enough to frequently get close to your shield. If he makes the mistake, hell yeah, upB his arse...

P.S.- I love that you're in my thread now.

The square block doesn't go into the circular hole.
That's what she said. Happy?

Look, I don't care if people are idiots outside of a thread I'm trying to make into something helpful. Spam somewhere else, please. I didn't make this to help people's post counts. I've had issues with Marth and I think it's a rather common problem among many Samus players.

If you don't like my attitude with this thread, simply remove it from your subscriptions, stop posting here, and move on.

<3 Boco

Shakugan

Smash Journeyman
if i was samus and i was playing a marth i would camp to make him mad and keep camping and spam missiles. CC and down smash this comes from me playing as peach i hope i said something smart

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
-Ahem? No Samus mains have complementary secondaries? Have we met before?
-Point taken. Still, you KNOW that missiles are going to do crapola to LK and Cactoid.
-Here's the thing with upB out of shield. You can't really space it. You have to rely on the Marth in question being silly enough to frequently get close to your shield. If he makes the mistake, hell yeah, upB his arse...

P.S.- I love that you're in my thread now.

<3 Boco
-your secondary is ok for complimenting samus, but not that well. ur complaining about ur marth matchup right now. and against a good marth, fox is worse on marth than fox is. if u want the perfect compliment to samus, its sheik.
-i use missiles for more than hitting the opponent lol. i know it sounds stupid, but im not kidding. think about it
-they dont always have to be next to u for u to use it. there could be some space between u, if that space is vertical. its ok to travel a lil distance b4 the upB make contact. any damage is damage and helps towards the end goal.

P.S. (reply) - it was going to happen soon, someone said the word "missile"

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
Look, I don't care if people are idiots outside of a thread I'm trying to make into something helpful. Spam somewhere else, please. I didn't make this to help people's post counts. I've had issues with Marth and I think it's a rather common problem among many Samus players.

If you don't like my attitude with this thread, simply remove it from your subscriptions, stop posting here, and move on.

<3 Boco
Ohh, ok, I can respect that; I thought you were just trying to be an ***. I apologize for image macro'ing it up in your thread.

On topic:
I don't play Marths as good as Cactuar particularly often, but I do like the matchup and know a few specific things that work for me and haven't been mentioned yet. Feel free to tell me why one would never work on any good Marth, though:
1. Dash attack. Don't go all out WoF, but it's still a good, fast, high-priority attack that can get under a whiffed fair before he lands. Make sure it's a reactive attack, though, not an intro or aggressive one.
2. Grab. Most people feel very secure in their shields against Samus, so it will be their natural reaction to shield after a missed attack (especially an aerial). Watch for, or try to force double jumps, and then send out the grapple at their landing spot. Extra points if you can make it look like you're trying to get under them with a dtilt/dash attack/etc, because then they're almost certain to fair as they land. Also, take a leaf out of Forward's book and grab opponents who are forced to get up on platforms, because you can cover the entire length of most.
3. Jab cancel his shield to apply pressure (your spacing needs to be pretty much perfect with his grab range though), then react appropriately to how he gets out of it. If he puts his shield down (or jumps and gets jabbed anyway), dtilt. If he rolls behind you, turn around dsmash/grab/ftilt/whatever. If he rolls away, try to follow it with an ftilt, but ALWAYS keep yourself a safe distance from the front of his shield, or you will get grabbed/faired/maybe even daired.

Beat

Smash Ace
-your secondary is ok for complimenting samus, but not that well. ur complaining about ur marth matchup right now. and against a good marth, fox is worse on marth than fox is. if u want the perfect compliment to samus, its sheik.
-i use missiles for more than hitting the opponent lol. i know it sounds stupid, but im not kidding. think about it
-they dont always have to be next to u for u to use it. there could be some space between u, if that space is vertical. its ok to travel a lil distance b4 the upB make contact. any damage is damage and helps towards the end goal.
-Fox is an excellent complement, because if you have a good Fox, the match-up with Marth is even. Fox also handles Shiek very well (and Sheik isn't A Shiek counter, last I checked, making her an imperfect secondary as well). There's a reason Fox is top tier. There are ways to avoid Marth's ability to chain fuzzies. However, that is for another thread. I was just correcting a blanket statement you made that no Sami have good secondaries.
-I know that missiles can redirect people and force them to certain areas. I also think that missiles do less against Marth than practically (practically being an operative) any character in the game.
-Good point on the last one. I have nothing against it, it's just a solid comment.

Also, in reply to Spaceballs, I like your input on shield pressure and grabbing. Much appreciated.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
-us samus players are intelligent, we are just a light-hearted folk who joke around at times
First and last points are very true but I don't think it's entirely true to say that NONE of us have secondaries that compliment our main, it's definitely true for me at least that I'd prefer never to have to use other characters but I think that it's also important to develop your skills with other characters in order to counter the ones that have priority over your main. I (like most people) use Fox but I can also play well with Mewtwo, Roy, Captain falcon, Kirby, Zelda and Sheik. For a good way of fighting Marth I find that any of those last 3 are good choices (personally) because I can use them to either get around his attacks or counter them. I've also heard from some good Mario players that his cape is a godsend against Marth's Fsmash.

That said I think that the secondary character talk does stray a little off the topic here anyways. The main point of the thread is how to fight Marth USING Samus not to find a different character to fight him with.

JELLYHEAD

Smash Cadet
Mewtwo, Roy, Captain falcon, Kirby, Zelda and Sheik. For a good way of fighting Marth I find that any of those last 3 are good choices (personally)
Seems you left that part out... weird to have to quote myself but anyway it wasn't a suggestion it was an example.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I made that up as I wrote it. Good or best?

And, just as a BTW, those Marths weren't, as we say in the business, good... they were Marth and didn't know how to win... obviously a n00b. I played Marth today for the 3rd time since I started playing Samus and was able to beat a person who normally puts up quite a challenge. Those Marths had all of the pieces to be good, they just didn't know how to put them together.

The kirby rolled INSTEAD of walking, nuff said.

Top Bottom