• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus tournament viability

FrenkM0J0

Smash Apprentice
Hey all

I am a marth/sheik main and have been playing this game for maybe two years now. I recently began playing samus, rather seriously, and am wondering whether she is a viable main for tournament play. We all know it takes a good player to reach the top (think Armada, he made peach world class), but is samus capable of reaching these tops? I think myself Plup is the best samus out there at the moment, but even he struggles to get to top eight.

Correct me if I'm wrong and see ya

Weasel

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
For top 8 at international events, no, Samus pretty much isn't viable.

For top 8 at regionals or winning locals, Samus is absolutely viable.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
For top 8 at international events, no, Samus pretty much isn't viable.

For top 8 at regionals or winning locals, Samus is absolutely viable.
Ya at the regional I usually place 9th, consistently 9th at past 2 ive been to lol, but nationals its pretty much plup and hugs pulling samus's weight

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
^ Pretty much what they all said. Top Samus players have proven you can play her at the highest level of play. If they can place high at nationals, then there's no reason to think you can't win a local. It's a lot harder to do, but it can be rewarding to win with a sub god-tier character.

Litt

Samus
Darrel and Duck are also pretty good, both have some pretty decent placements in the last little while, and I would argue both are better Samuses (Samuses? Sami? I don't know..) than hugs at the moment.
Duck may be up there, but darrell hasnt produced any real results since like RoM 7and that wasnt even a national

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I feel like Plup could place top 3 at a national. Would have to be a pretty specific set of circumstances, but I think its more likely Plup could do it than any of the top Captain Falcons/IC's at the moment (excluding wobbles who's semi-retired, and Mango's Falcon).

Last edited:

Ringedge

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ringedge
I'm not sure about top 3, but I think he could get top 5. I think he can beat all of the top spacies besides Mango and PPMD (not something to be ashamed of), he seems to be getting closer and closer at beating HBox, he might be able to take it from him some day, and for Armada and M2K.... I think they are both a bit of a problem.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about top 3, but I think he could get top 5. I think he can beat all of the top spacies besides Mango and PPMD (not something to be ashamed of), he seems to be getting closer and closer at beating HBox, he might be able to take it from him some day, and for Armada and M2K.... I think they are both a bit of a problem.
I thought of saying top 5, but then thought about Do you Fox with it? and M2K getting 13th. All top 5 were foxes. Not a national I know, but if more top 8's are comprised of just spacies, I can see it maybe just falling right for Plup.

Generally I agree top 5 is a more realistic perfect scenario though. And outside the top 20 at a national wouldn't surprise me either if he drew some crappy matchups. Mid tiers are so volatile....

BBOY15

Smash Apprentice
I think the reason why it's unlikely for Samus to rank high in a national isn't because of Samus as a character, but because there are just so many more mains of other characters. If there's 100 of one character entering a tourney and 5 of another character, odds are that one of those 5 aren't going to win, no matter what the characters are. If Samus was as common of a main as Fox, there would be greater probability that a Samus would make it to the end of a national tourney.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
I think the reason why it's unlikely for Samus to rank high in a national isn't because of Samus as a character, but because there are just so many more mains of other characters. If there's 100 of one character entering a tourney and 5 of another character, odds are that one of those 5 aren't going to win, no matter what the characters are. If Samus was as common of a main as Fox, there would be greater probability that a Samus would make it to the end of a national tourney.
If this logic were true, a lot more tournaments would be won by Captain Falcon.

Beside that though, I don't know who else watched "The Come Up", but Duck was really showing some samus tournament viability. Especially against some of the toughest shieks in the world. He looked dominant at times against KirbyKaze and m2k. Beat KK once, and took the only two games m2k lost all day. Not a national, but took 3rd and came so close to 2nd. Really had me believing he could beat m2k too. Duck might be the best samus at the shiek matchup imo, and it was business as usual for him against the spacies he faced.

Smash Journeyman
@zDuck great job today :) :) You can do it next time!!!

(and tell us how to beat Sheik! Seems like your answer is "grab them a lot"...)

Kmac0

Smash Cadet
Samus is very viable at top level and a bad attitude will wield bad results. Just never, stop, thinking. her options are straight UNTAPPED. Plup, Hugs, and Duck are by no means the end all be all of Samus. In fact, their viability as players are what keeps them from top 8, not their character.

Keep practicing, she'll be Top 8 by this time next year.

xleo_samusx

Smash Cadet
Welp after Paragon, thanks to Plup I think we can see just how viable Samus is in a national.

MudkipUniverse

Smash Ace
NNID
VolcanicAsh
some people have some trouble playing against samus, but Westballz took the set against plup handily at Paragon

xleo_samusx

Smash Cadet
some people have some trouble playing against samus, but Westballz took the set against plup handily at Paragon
Do correct me if I'm wrong, but I am pretty sure Plup knocked him into losers first, and then Wes knocked him out of losers.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Westballz did play the matchup much more "right" in the second meeting. I think generally Westballz and Plup are very evenly matched though. They place very near to eachother in a lot of tournaments. Good/Bad matchup might not be playing a roll here, both players are just very skilled.

Top Bottom