• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus' suit...

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
Somewhere where it's not quite hot, but not quite
Will it be the metroid prime version? i hope so, they hadn't shown any pictures of samus' suit from prime, so far its still the same suit they've used in past metroid games (possibly still the same one from melee)

my question is, why? how come they aren't gonna use the metroid prime styled suit? maybe they will, but shouldn't they have made samus wear it in the trailer? because everyone else is getting graphical updates, HOW COME NOT SAMUS! the only graphical update on her that i've seen are the green neon-like lines on her chest armor, but the rest is still super metroid looking.

the prime suit is supposed to be spikier, the knees are supposed to be spikier, other arts also.
the thighs should have those round thingies on them, that kinda look like jet turbines.

if you dont get what i mean, look at the current samus artwork for brawl, and look at her pictures from the prime series. for pictures on both, check gamespot. just wanted to share what was on my mind. and MODS, feel free to close/lock this thread after people have posted their thoughts on this matter (hopefully not too soon). THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.:(

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
like i said, go to gamespot and open up a picture of samus from prime, and a picture of samus from melee, you'll see the (very obvious) differences in detail.
and if indeed they all look the same to you, maybe you just dont like to take the time to look at the details of a game. (i do that in sa2b, green forest is beautiful in exploration.)

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
They are using the Prime version, but toning down some of the more angled bits, like the knee spikes, which don't really matter. Actually looks like a compilation of many of the Samus models. The main thing is yet to be seen--how they do the charge shot and the missles. Comparison Shots!

Here is the Super Metroid look.

On which they based the Melee look, seen below.

Then came the Prime look--

Then Prime 2--

Here's Brawl

Don't forget how much difference a change in lighting can make. When we see her in-game, her Primey-ness will probably be more apparent, especially since we'll be seeing MP3 soon.

Caael

Smash Lord
Nope, her visor is different to the Prime picture than the Brawl one, and the helmet is very different, the knees are less spiky, the shoulders are further apart and smaller in the Brawl and the codpiece sticks out a lot more in the Brawl version.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Thank god they aren't using the Prime suit, i don't like it, Samus Super Metroid's suit is still the number 1 suit.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
pomfrod is right guys. i hope they include the light and dark suits as costumes
Not so sure I am. The more I look at it, it seems they are using a fusion of both of them, with touches of their own ideas. The inflated "codpiece," as Caael put it, was the Smash team's own idea, as it isn't present in any game. Did they try to inject more gender confusion into Samus' social perception?

But Caael is right about the helmet--straight up Super Metroid. As for Light and Dark Suits, don't bank on it, though they would be cool.

Paranoid_Android

Smash Lord
Actually, the OP is correct: Samus still looks as she did in Super Metroid. Now, whether or not this is a bad thing depends on your personal preference. I, personally, was expecting a Prime suit, with possibly alternate costumes being the Dark world and Light world suit from Prime 2.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
her brawl pic is also missing the green lines on her legs, near the calf.

and please, if some of you dont give a d***, then please dont bother posting, your just trying to increase your post count.

and personally, i love the prime look, i dont care what the other guys above me say, the prime look is just more realistic, cause the more i looked at the super metroid version that they did for melee, i think "man, she must have a VERY small waist line, and thin legs, near the ankles..."

Shuma

Smash Hero
"and personally, i love the prime look, i dont care what the other guys above me say"

Congratulations then, what do you expect? it's called personal preference, i like the Super Metroid look, you like the Prime look. There's nothing to discuss here really.

Unless you whant to discuss wich one looks more realistic, then you're right Metroid Prime's suit looks more realistic.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
yes i know its a matter of personal preference, but that's not what i was getting at.
what i meant, ever since my first post, is that i want the prime look, because every other character is getting a graphical update, so why not samus? and what's her latest look? the prime one. i dont mind if they make her suit a mix between the two, but atleast make it look more prime than super. it looks nicer. and i'm not just saying that because im a graphics ***** (forgive me for the term) of which im not, im just saying, if pit gets a major face lift, and link also (and who knows, maybe even the balloon guy D:) then at least give samus the graphical update she so sorely deserves.
i should've known that the samus suit from melee is the super metroid one, ssbm was released a couple of years before prime, so they didnt know of samus' prime look. however, now that they know, i think it would be much better.

Zeela12

Smash Ace
look more like a combo of the prime one and the original SSBM one together. The new one has that green thing on her brest, but original SSBM doesnt. the rest is basicly the same though.

Shuma

Smash Hero
Perhaps Toriyama prefers the Super Nintendo Samus Look. And i agree it looks like it's a combination of both Prime and super.

Shuma

Smash Hero
"yes, it does, the chest part especially, kinda looks like an android eagle thing."

Because, i guess you know the Suit was made by the Chozo, hence the bird looking chest.

The groin part i think it's just the pose, that makes it look like that.

Zebesian Pirate

Smash Cadet
look more like a combo of the prime one and the original SSBM one together. The new one has that green thing on her brest, but original SSBM doesnt. the rest is basicly the same though.
I'm afraid you have no idea what you're on about. Firstly, what do you mean by "original SSBM one"? Samus and her Varia suit go back a bit before SSBM, and the design used in SSBM (and mostly duplicated in Brawl) borrowed from Super Metroid art. Secondly, the "green thing on her brest [sic]" is a pair of little lights that is present on every version of the suit shown here (although they're very small on some). They have merely increased and decreased in size and changed their precise locations over the years.

As for my suit preference? I prefer the design that remains almost unchanged throughout Super Metroid, SSBM and Brawl. It's the classic design that was established in Super Metroid, and it should be retained for the most part. It's how the Varia suit was supposed to look, regardless of how realistic it is. Also, this rather large suit can be compressed into a tiny ball with Samus still inside, so we shouldn't go on about how she'd need a little waist and no ankles to fit inside. I see no reason to scrap the classic Varia suit in favour of the spiky, unfriendly Prime suit just because it's more "realistic".

The design envisaged by the series' creator (Super Metroid was Gunpei Yokoi's last Metroid game before his resignation from Nintendo and his death a year later) seems more appropriate for Smash Bros. than the Prime design. It just doesn't feel right; Retro Studios' design should be confined entirely to their Prime series. Their spin-off shooter games, while of a high quality, should have no permanent effect on a classic character created by one of the most important figures in Nintendo's history.

Super Metroid's Samus is the correct Samus, regardless of anatomy and such, and the work of a recent, American developer cannot replace that design. It was never going to be the Prime Samus; those games hardly seem to have influenced this artwork of Samus. This is Super Metroid's Samus realised in 3D and that's exactly the character I want to play in Brawl.

Sorry, I tend to rant and rave about this sort of thing.

As for what has become of Gunpei Yokoi's character Pit... well, I have no problem with that because I don't really care about Pit, and that's something to be discussed in the Pit thread.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
so what you mean is it's an homage to gunpei? yeah, i respect him, he's one of the best. but he is, like it or not, dead. i respect that they used the super metroid look in melee, but homages don't need to carry over into more than one or two games. i respect your opinion, and i forgive you for your ranty nature.

spin-off series? no, a spin off would be something like metroid prime pinball. retro studios is still a part of nintendo. although i could be wrong, maybe it IS a spin-off.

also, the suit in prime is a face lift off of the super metroid suit, they look almost identical, i wouldn't mind horribly if they still used the super metroid suit, but at least make it have the same shading, and "shine" of the prime suit, and make her visor see-through.

i respect gunpei (may he rest in peace), but the man is dead, and if he were alive today, who knows, he might say "use the prime suit", he probably might have liked the suits look.

anyway, lets just leave it to nintendo, they know what they're doing.

Zebesian Pirate

Smash Cadet
so what you mean is it's an homage to gunpei? yeah, i respect him, he's one of the best. but he is, like it or not, dead. i respect that they used the super metroid look in melee, but homages don't need to carry over into more than one or two games. i respect your opinion, and i forgive you for your ranty nature.

spin-off series? no, a spin off would be something like metroid prime pinball. retro studios is still a part of nintendo. although i could be wrong, maybe it IS a spin-off.

also, the suit in prime is a face lift off of the super metroid suit, they look almost identical, i wouldn't mind horribly if they still used the super metroid suit, but at least make it have the same shading, and "shine" of the prime suit, and make her visor see-through.

i respect gunpei (may he rest in peace), but the man is dead, and if he were alive today, who knows, he might say "use the prime suit", he probably might have liked the suits look.

anyway, lets just leave it to nintendo, they know what they're doing.
I suppose Prime isn't technically a spin-off, but the games are still very far removed from other Metroid games. It is a trilogy of prequel games (excluding Hunters and Pinball) that will culminate with the release of MP3: Corruption, and presumably the Metroid series itself will continue after the Prime series ends.

Retro Studios is indeed owned by Nintendo, but they are an external first-party developer based in Texas. Nintendo has always developed Metroid games in-house, which is why I consider Retro Studio's efforts to be external to the rest of the series.

We do not know how Samus will look in her Varia suit in-game, but we can assume that the suit's form will at least be like this. The translucent visor is one aspect of Prime art that I do appreciate and I wouldn't mind if Samus' visor did end up translucent in Brawl.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
Crap. Another oversight. As I was ogling the Metroid Prime poster in my room, I noticed that Samus' helmet looks exactly as it does in the Brawl screens. The shift came for Prime 2, where the visor shape was changed, helmet lines were changed, leg lights added, and other minor things.

Pomfrod

Smash Apprentice
@Zebesian--What are you suggesting Nintendo do going forward with Metroid? How else could they have made the shift from 2D to 3D? I think the Prime direction is qute faithful, regardless of what second party assisted in it. With Fusion and Zero Mission, it may well be that we have seen the last of the 2D Metroid titles, and the control offered with the DS and Wii provides an excellent basis for growth of the franchise. They cannot keep remaking the first three games into infinity.

Shuma

Smash Hero
"With Fusion and Zero Mission, it may well be that we have seen the last of the 2D Metroid titles"

Sadly, although li like the Prime games, i still love the 2d Games.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I believe Samus should get her Metroid Prime series look. In Melee it was ok graphics for the time but now that time has progressed and MP is now released(as stated before me) they should use there most recent games. Look a Link, he is using his Twilight Princess Design. Does this mean all other characters are going to be using there last game look? I think not, as for Pit, he has changed alot not only into 3D from his 8-bit stage, but comparing what we have now compared to the artwork of Pit and also the Trophy from SSBM, graphics have been improved.

Metroid Prime look for Samus!

Zebesian Pirate

Smash Cadet
@Zebesian--What are you suggesting Nintendo do going forward with Metroid? How else could they have made the shift from 2D to 3D? I think the Prime direction is qute faithful, regardless of what second party assisted in it. With Fusion and Zero Mission, it may well be that we have seen the last of the 2D Metroid titles, and the control offered with the DS and Wii provides an excellent basis for growth of the franchise. They cannot keep remaking the first three games into infinity.
I agree that the Prime series is faithful and the games are of a high quality, but I can still prefer the 2D games. I personally don't see the need to shift games into 3D; some games work better in 2D. Sure, it's fine to make 3D games within the Metroid universe, but I see no need to abolish a format that works so well. After all, they still make various Mario sidescrollers and those are still fun to play.

smash~bomber

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but you need to understand, most people nowadays want almost everything (if not, everything...) in 3d. just like the tails series, it works so well in 2d, but people want it all in 3d, so japan doesn't bring over the 2d games, and those ones are usually the better ones.

maybe you prefer the 2d ones more because they're more open ended? i understand if that would be the case because the prime series tells you where to go after a period of time. am i right?

well, i don't mind the 3d metroids, to me, they're master pieces. too bad mp:3 is said to be the last of the prime series.

also, the reason why side scrolling mario games are so good is because, there's hardly any other way to play a mario game, except for something like mario 64, or galaxy or whatever. mario rpgs are cool though. same goes for kart games, gosh! everyother type of game is cool for him! sidescrolling is still popular to him because that's just the way he would play.

metroid however was bound to evolve.

EDIT:
it really wouldn't matter if it is or is not changing though, like alternate costumes (see my other thread). but still, i really want primes look!

Top Bottom