• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Neutral B Improvement

NNID
Rektnator
I suggest Samus should possess the ability to walk or spring while shooting mini plasma beams and also be able to charge Neutral B as well; adding a Metroid game flavor. In my opinion it would serve as a new mechanic and an improvement for Samus playing style by holding the B button and buying time to charge Neutral B while dodging or exerting any move. What do you guys think?

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Personally, I'm just too used to how Samus's Charge Shot has worked over the past three Smash games to feel like a change is warranted. Changing it up to be.... essentially Zero's Z-Buster in Marvel 3....sappy an excuse as it is, it just wouldn't feel like Samus anymore.

Like, take Link for example. Project M Link is the best Link has ever been, but he still plays like Link. His moves still pretty much work the same and he still has the same general gameplan. There's other ways to buff Samus than simply changing a move around. Giving her the ability to charge in the air was a good change, but after that, Charge Shot really is the least of her worries.

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
Personally, I'm just too used to how Samus's Charge Shot has worked over the past three Smash games to feel like a change is warranted. Changing it up to be.... essentially Zero's Z-Buster in Marvel 3....sappy an excuse as it is, it just wouldn't feel like Samus anymore.

Like, take Link for example. Project M Link is the best Link has ever been, but he still plays like Link. His moves still pretty much work the same and he still has the same general gameplan. There's other ways to buff Samus than simply changing a move around. Giving her the ability to charge in the air was a good change, but after that, Charge Shot really is the least of her worries.
From the start of Super Smash Brothers development, Samus supposed to have the ability to walk or run while charging the plasma beam and shoot little plasma beams as well. So you say it wouldn't feel like Samus anymore? As I remember correctly, PM:BR added her a taunt option to change part of her move-set, which it was a succesful improvement, but it kind of look like a Brawl Minus design. Also, in the new Super Smash Brothers installment it seems that Megaman shoots and charge his projectiles while he walks and spring around the stage.

Last edited:

Vashimus

Smash Master
Good for Megaman. But Samus has already had an established moveset for three (and soon four) whole games now. The goal is not to reinvent the wheel here, it's about refining an already good character. Samus was already in the top half of the cast in Melee, so there's obviously a lot good about her base moveset already.

I never understand why veterans like Mario and Link get buffed, keep their base movesets in P:M and no one bats an eye, but with Samus, she needs special treatment all of a sudden. It's even worse when the people asking for those changes don't play the character. Why can't I just enjoy a buffed Melee Samus like the Mario and Link players get to enjoy with their characters? Call me selfish if you want, but I like Samus' moveset how it is, thank you very much.

And for the record I don't really care much for the ice beam taunt change, and I know other people who don't either.

Litt

Samus
Ok, well here is just to the original poster... there are a NUMBER of things more important to samus's over all game that need to be worked on before adding such useless gimmicks in. Yes its a cool idea, and yes it may have uses, but it will not take priority over a number of other things

NNID
Rektnator
Ok, well here is just to the original poster... there are a NUMBER of things more important to samus's over all game that need to be worked on before adding such useless gimmicks in. Yes its a cool idea, and yes it may have uses, but it will not take priority over a number of other things
Charging while fighting the opponent would buy Samus time to get the Plasma Beam ready!

Litt

Samus
You just joined this site friday, so excuse me if your indepth knowledge of high level samus play isnt taken seriously on this forum, yes I AGREE WITH YOU, IT WOULD BE COOL, but it would not help her win and more or less in competitions relative to the rest of her established metagame (in the works for the past 13 years), nor is anyone going to change it, because of some idea you throw out, so please, STOP wasting everyone's time

NNID
Rektnator
Charging while fighting the opponent would buy Samus time to get the Plasma Beam ready!
You just joined this site friday, so excuse me if your indepth knowledge of high level samus play isnt taken seriously on this forum, yes I AGREE WITH YOU, IT WOULD BE COOL, but it would not help her win and more or less in competitions relative to the rest of her established metagame (in the works for the past 13 years), nor is anyone going to change it, because of some idea you throw out, so please, STOP wasting everyone's time
Fair enough! And for the record, I'm new here, but I have played Super Smash Brothers game series in a competitive way since Nintendo 64's version. I used to main Samus at one point, though. I know what I'm talking about!

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Fair enough! And for the record, I'm new here, but I have played Super Smash Brothers game series in a competitive way since Nintendo 64's version. I used to main Samus at one point, though. I know what I'm talking about!
With all due respect, I have found no videos of you online, nor are there any well known players from PR. You may have played it seriously, but you have not played the game competitively, especially with samus against the highest level players.

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
With all due respect, I have found no videos of you online, nor are there any well known players from PR. You may have played it seriously, but you have not played the game competitively, especially with samus against the highest level players.
I don't have any videos online yet, but I have played for years with friends, as well assisted to ''tournaments'' where I played friendlies with people from the competitive community. Never got the chance to be known, though. But soon I'll record some match-ups on life stream. I just need a capture card or a good camera, which they are expensive!

Last edited:

Drodeka

Smash Journeyman
Okay, at this point I'm almost 100% sure this guy is trolling.
He has received multiple warnings on not posting threads exactly like this one in almost every thread he's posted, which were, shocker, exactly like this one.
He even suggested pretty much the exact same thing for Fox and used almost the same words in several threads/posts. Just look at his recent activity, it's ridiculous.

If he's trolling though, I will laugh, because he's pretty funny, I have to admit.

Litt

Samus
I mean he mains ganon in brawl... is that isnt a troll out idk what is :p

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
It's not that funny if it is a troll. It's actually kinda boring. And he's not really successful either; trolling KLit is not particularly difficult.

Litt

Samus
It's not that funny if it is a troll. It's actually kinda boring. And he's not really successful either; trolling KLit is not particularly difficult.
He is right there... i just take everyone that is wrong and lump them into a category of incompetence, and follow a set flow chart from there

NNID
Rektnator
He is right there... i just take everyone that is wrong and lump them into a category of incompetence, and follow a set flow chart from there
I do main Ganondorf, he's my favorite character regardless his cons! And yeah, I am trolling. Samus is okay the way she is. My suggestions are based on my imagination, except for DK and Toon Link's threads! :upsidedown:

Last edited:
NNID
Rektnator
Okay, at this point I'm almost 100% sure this guy is trolling.
He has received multiple warnings on not posting threads exactly like this one in almost every thread he's posted, which were, shocker, exactly like this one.
He even suggested pretty much the exact same thing for Fox and used almost the same words in several threads/posts. Just look at his recent activity, it's ridiculous.

If he's trolling though, I will laugh, because he's pretty funny, I have to admit.
Of course I'm trolling, thanks for telling them! :bee:

Narpas_sword

I was thinking while playing my friends sheik the other day, id really like to see samus' nB use the same charge method as needles.
tap to fire a quick one, hold to charge/release to fire or L to store.

With the new ability to charge in the air, it could make things smoother.

and if possible change the ice beam to an actual ice beam (though im not sure if they can change the projectiles can they?)

would love to see plasma beam have it's smetroid look <3 (or the spazer)

then have an ice beam shooting at a faster velocity like PKfreeze, and a fully charged one hitting like a freezy =p (with appropriate balancing)

Litt

Samus
Sir... having to hold b would make it a worse move, and you can already store it with L or R... you can charge in the air and it does make things smoother... why would you make it a beam, neutral b had nothing to do with fire and its properties wouldn't change... refer to my previous point for your last point....

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

tbh, I hardly use it, i know you can already break the charge midway to store a partial, i was just clarifying the idea (so noone would think i didn't intend for it to be not storable)

I've found just storing a full charge and only using it occasionally is enough to scare my opponents (ones who i don't play regularly) into making mistakes as they try to avoid being set up into a charge beam lol.

re looks: it was just a preference.

re " neutral b had nothing to do with fire and its properties wouldn't change" :
Correct. If you didnt know, smetroid plasma beam also has nothing to do with fire. and yes, i was meaning for the properties to stay as they are too (which would mean normal samus keeps the exact same charge Beam, while ice samus gets something different without them looking the same.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
^ you could have learned all of that from just reading the melee samus boards instead of figuring it out yourself

Litt

Samus
It seems like everyone on here thinks samus is that drastically different of a character they need to reinvent the wheel... the wheel is there people... just go to the melee boards.... also WOWWWW Learned what? stuff like that is why I have zero patience

Narpas_sword

your point was poorly written and difficult to understand without my Ethernet cable plugged into your actual head.

What part should I have learned by reading a forum instead of figuring out myself?

The three things i posted about that you may think i was trying to reinvent are:

changing the look (only) of the charge beam. (hardly 'reinventing')
talking about a different beam for when swapping beams (samus is getting reinvented in ice mode as is, so, ideas seem fair here)
and, changing the way it is charged (hold vs tap), this was in line with having something different for the ice B, so firing quick low powered shots would be easier than having to double tap b.)

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
All of those are pointless... you will not see those changes because there is no point changing the look for aesthetic purposes when the PMBR team has tons of other things to work on... (ESPECIALLY SAMUS'S FAILING GRAPPLE...) no the idea does seem fair here because they changed the beams... plasma to ice... they aren't changing every move or they would just made an ice samus as a new character... and finally the mechanic you proposed is horrible and even most sheik players would prefer a tap charge over a hold because it restricts their fingers to a specific spot on the controller when they could be preparing something else.... all of these are very self explanatory, but should you have phrased them as questions instead of just ideas, they would not have been frustrating to explain why they are pointless, or wrong.

Narpas_sword

idea brainstorming is like questioning, except it's for a forum to read not asking it to a specific person lol.
You'll note I used words like 'could' to invite discussion not 'would'.

Sweet, so tapping once to fire a projectile is worse in your opinon, id prefer it, but as its been a samus thing for..ever.. i guess it's fair that it isnt something up to change.

again, aesthetics was "something i'd like to see" not "they must do this now, it's super important"

and yes, its fair to change the Beam when changing the Beam type. it would however be stupid if i was going on about all of the different other moves. But the "Charge beam when swapping beams".. read that aloud a few times, then tell me its stupid to think that changing beams when changing beams is stupid.

oh and re: "restrict fingers to a specific spot"
What is it you're intending to do with your fingers while charging your beam normally?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
finger locked to one spot makes it harder to move other fingers... do you even play this game or are you seriously just a troll?

Narpas_sword

I feel sorry for your finger dexterity if that's the case.
You're not charging when people are right in your face fighting right?

Do you have that much trouble moving off B?

Thane of Blue Flames

Fire is catching.
All of those are pointless... you will not see those changes because there is no point changing the look for aesthetic purposes when the PMBR team has tons of other things to work on... (ESPECIALLY SAMUS'S FAILING GRAPPLE...) no the idea does seem fair here because they changed the beams... plasma to ice... they aren't changing every move or they would just made an ice samus as a new character... and finally the mechanic you proposed is horrible and even most sheik players would prefer a tap charge over a hold because it restricts their fingers to a specific spot on the controller when they could be preparing something else.... all of these are very self explanatory, but should you have phrased them as questions instead of just ideas, they would not have been frustrating to explain why they are pointless, or wrong.
finger locked to one spot makes it harder to move other fingers... do you even play this game or are you seriously just a troll?
See, all of these replies are good. You're arguing with a person without completely insulting them. Why can't you post more like this? Is it really so hard?

Litt

Samus
I feel sorry for your finger dexterity if that's the case.
You're not charging when people are right in your face fighting right?

Do you have that much trouble moving off B?
See, all of these replies are good. You're arguing with a person without completely insulting them. Why can't you post more like this? Is it really so hard?
Because of idiots like that that...... I try to be semi patient and understanding with this ****ing moron and he has the audacity to apology for my finger dexterity...

Last edited:

pizzacato

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
coda#0
NNID
Pizzacato
The only Neutral B improvement I could see, is a stronger/more hit stun single shot, and faster to shoot singles, kind of like Mewtwo's. And even then, I think the hit stun is the same... but I don't have the data to tell.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Hey dumbass, if your thumb is on B, it restricts your other fingers from deviating farther... its not a problem moving my own hand off B, its just a waste to change a better mechanic to a worse mechanics because some dumbass thinks it would translate to samus being a better character, more like sheik... just think for a half a second before you start typing next time

Last edited:

Narpas_sword

Stop telling me that it affect my fingers, it doesn't.

i dont know how you hold your controller, or when you decide to charge your beam, but i do it out of danger.
The point was to make it easier to fire off a SINGLE SHOT, not to charge it.

ie, if it was hold to charge, release to fire you could still charge safely, with no problems (unless you have a problem hitting buttons)
the real point is now you could TAP ONCE to fire a SMALL UNCHARGED SHOT, which while not very useful in its current state MAY BE MORE USEFULL IF THERE WAS A DIFFERENT BEAM in ice mode.

get it?

Litt

Samus
There is nothing to get... if your fingers were actually useful devices as you claim them to be... you could do a double press really fast for the same effect, forcing a hold charge would cause more mechic problems in game when having the mid air charge be used. Same is slow in nature, and you need to have your next option always at the ready, if you need to do an action, let go, and then move to your next option, it will have been too slow in the first place. You are attempting to switch mechanics for a purpose that does not make samus's overall metagame more fluid, but rather a new mechanics you believe would be useful for your playstyle. You really need to verbalize what your intent is behind a claim you make, because the original one make much less sense, but this cleared it up a lot, but it is still a bad mechanic change to samus's neutral b

Litt

Samus
Also having this hold charge would get rid of the newly discovered mechanic to have the blast fire backwards during charge. You shouldn't suggest changing a character because you don't like how a mechanic works, just change your game to better adapt to that mechanic.

Litt

Samus
Hmm, well you can create a discussion point asking others of their thoughts instead of blurting this out as if you know it will work, because that is the way it came off on post one. You have my input as to why it wont work, you can consider it yourself now.

Top Bottom