• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Guide (WIP)

Samus Guide (WIP)

Cecil_harvey93

Smash Rookie
Cecil_harvey93 submitted a new guide:

Samus Guide (WIP) - Samus Stats, Moves, and Tactics (Smash 3ds)

I figured I would step up to the plate and begin a general guide to Samus, seeing as there has been a lack of love since Zero Suit Samus. This guide will explain practical uses of Samus' moves, and the types of situations they will yield the best results. I'll also go into a few combos / tricks that I have had success using in For Glory matches.

Samus is a very mid-tier character, which may make winning online that much more difficult. Other players will choose characters that outclass you, so...
Read more about this guide...

n00b

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
peasantstat.us
3DS FC
1693-1292-7210
Isn't it way too early to preface your guide with "Samus is very mid-tier" and not too helpful to emphasize that being not predictable is important to winning matches? Also, do you have an outline of points for this guide? Don't mean to sound hypercritical I just figure you have a community here so there's no reason to try to write this thing all by yourself.

Cecil_harvey93

Smash Rookie
Isn't it way too early to preface your guide with "Samus is very mid-tier" and not too helpful to emphasize that being not predictable is important to winning matches? Also, do you have an outline of points for this guide? Don't mean to sound hypercritical I just figure you have a community here so there's no reason to try to write this thing all by yourself.
I mostly mean that Samus is not exactly low-tier, but at the same time far from high-tier. And as I've seen, many Samus For Glory matches consist of a combination of Charge Shots, Fsmash, Bair, and Uair. 90% of KOs I've seen are from charge shots, but a lot more of attempted charge shot KOs were blocked or dodged very easily. Charge shots KO around 80% which is decent, but, with practice of course, forcing an opponent off the ledge and Dair can kill reliably at even 40%. I plan on going into setting these types of tactics from various situations, and what works best.
I'm not the most familiar with forums and these things, so if there is an easy way to allow additions from other people besides adding them myself from seeing the comments posted, I'd be more than happy to. Obviously, the point here is to win with Samus so that's what I'm looking for overall. :D

angelar

Smash Rookie
I mostly mean that Samus is not exactly low-tier, but at the same time far from high-tier. And as I've seen, many Samus For Glory matches consist of a combination of Charge Shots, Fsmash, Bair, and Uair. 90% of KOs I've seen are from charge shots, but a lot more of attempted charge shot KOs were blocked or dodged very easily. Charge shots KO around 80% which is decent, but, with practice of course, forcing an opponent off the ledge and Dair can kill reliably at even 40%. I plan on going into setting these types of tactics from various situations, and what works best.
I'm not the most familiar with forums and these things, so if there is an easy way to allow additions from other people besides adding them myself from seeing the comments posted, I'd be more than happy to. Obviously, the point here is to win with Samus so that's what I'm looking for overall. :D
you would be expected to maintain the guide yourself, which would involve obviously compiling other posters' feedback as necessary.

here's some for starters: a lot of your numbers are either incorrect or not comprehensive. Several of Samus' attacks deal different damage at different ranges, some of which are pretty important. just a few I saw:

• dash is 10 close/mid, 6 max range
  • uptilt is 12 towards the top, 13 closer to the bottom
  • ftilt is 6 forward, 7 up and down. (tilting ftilt.) 7, 8 for max range respectively
  • her up smash reads 4x4 + 8 for full charge, but total damage reads out as 25 and not 24...?
  • fsmash is 12 - 16 min range and 14 - 19 max range (fireball.) you listed numbers for two different ranges, making full charge look a lot weaker than it actually is.
  • dsmash is 12 - 16 damage if hit from the back.
  • nair deals 7 damage from behind
  • back air will deal as little as 6 damage if hit at the end of the animation (say if you fall on them with it.) it's also range dependent. it deals 12 at min range and 14 at max at the start of the active frames
  • dair has sweet/sour spots. max damage for dair is 14.
  • very close range bombs apparently hit twice for a total of 9 damage. (just looks like one hit though.)
i want to say i've been able to get more than two hits on zair, but i haven't been able to reproduce it / i'm probably mistaken

samus' jab is also not really a combo. a lot of characters can jab her out of the 2nd hit even if they are hit by the 1st hit, much less block / punish.

i would also leave comprehensive guide writing to the veterans, IMO. citing that charge shot gets good KOs online does not mean it works well in high-level play. it's decent tool for sure, but it wouldn't have nearly as impressive kill numbers among much stronger players vs. stuff like dair edge guards.

it also has wildly different relative power depending on the mode of play (1v1, smash, teams.)

Last edited:

BlackCephie

Smash Journeyman
Don't forget about fair! :]

Top Bottom