• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus Gameplay/Screenshot ( In-depth look )

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I think it's been hinted that Other M/other recent games retconned her previous height. Something around 5'10" now, I believe.

...Unless Anthony/the other marines are all really 7'11" and tower over her even with the Power Suit on.

Either way, Smash isn't canon, and height doesn't matter. This screen alone shows she's still one of the taller characters.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
I think it's been hinted that Other M/other recent games retconned her previous height. Something around 5'10" now, I believe.

...Unless Anthony/the other marines are all really 7'11" and tower over her even with the Power Suit on.

Either way, Smash isn't canon, and height doesn't matter. This screen alone shows she's still one of the taller characters.
Other than the fact that Samus is slumping over and she's still taller than Peach and Wii Fit Trainer, how tall is Wii Fit Trainer? I say this because she's almost as still as Samus is the picture. I'm going to assume that is Samus stood upright, WFT would be at about Samus' chin, if not a centimeter or two taller. Isn't she supposed to be a regular sized woman? I never played Wii Fit but I'm assuming that's the case.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
6'4"

and I don't see how making something that can kill you into something that can kill you more is a bad thing
She's 191 cm, dude. That's no more than 6'3". You clearly have internet, it's not like you need to have this info memorized.

And the fact that high heels are superfluous is not the bad thing. That just suggests that your reasoning doesn't really even out with the actual bad thing. The bad thing is that it's kinda misogynist to claim that she needs the heels in the middle of a fighting game. If I had to fight a gorilla, a King of Evil and a balloon that could kill me in one hit by falling asleep, I'd want to reduce my chances of breaking my ankle, and I would not give a **** how my ****ing calves looked, and I'd be kind of irritated if anyone suggested that I should.
There's a lot of perspective going into all that, though. I'd say Samus only seems to be shorter than Anthony (who is ****ing gigantic), and maybe James. Judging by the distortions of perspective, she seems to be even on height with the rest of the team. If they average out at around 6'2", then it seems like she's about the right height.

Although the Young Samus cutscenes definitely make her look short, which is part of what made me disgruntled.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
She's 191 cm, dude. That's no more than 6'3". You clearly have internet, it's not like you need to have this info memorized.

no, dude, she's canonically referred to in several games as six feet, four inches. this is info that I have memorized.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Yeah, you're gonna need to cite some sources on this one, bro. She's 6'3" in the Super Metroid player's guide, 190 cm in the Metroid II instruction manual, and 191 cm everywhere else. There's even speculation that her height was retconned to about 5'10" in M:OM. I've never seen any Metroid game put her above 6'3", so where are you getting this info?

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Yeah, you're gonna need to cite some sources on this one, bro. She's 6'3" in the Super Metroid player's guide, 190 cm in the Metroid II instruction manual, and 191 cm everywhere else. There's even speculation that her height was retconned to about 5'10" in M:OM. I've never seen any Metroid game put her above 6'3", so where are you getting this info?
metroid.wikia agrees with you but also claims her height could be 5 feet 5 in.

the Morph Ball is said in Prime to be 1 meter in diameter. scanning any potential Morph Ball crawlspace will state this. the Morph Ball is clearly half the height of Samus, which puts her at 2 meters tall. 2 meters is approx. 6 feet 5 in.

which is an inch taller than what I've been claiming, I realize, but if you actually went in to check canon data against ingame characteristics you'd see there's clearly some slight miscalculations.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
The holes the morph ball fits into are one meter in diameter. The morph ball cannot fit in those holes if it, too is one meter.

But hey, nice try.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
this begs the question, though- is a one inch difference really that big of a deal? it's not like Samus is applying for a medical grant on account of her giantism.

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
So with today's pic. It looks like her visor and the green lights on her suit have changed to blue. Has she obtained the ability to switch beams now?

And on the height thing, I was under the impression that her height and weight were of her IN the Power Suit. In fact, if you die in Other M, you see a big difference in height from Samus' heel to the Power Suit's heel. My guess is there is some sort of spring mechanism that lets her survive falls like in Portal.

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
And on the height thing, I was under the impression that her height and weight were of her IN the Power Suit. In fact, if you die in Other M, you see a big difference in height from Samus' heel to the Power Suit's heel. My guess is there is some sort of spring mechanism that lets her survive falls like in Portal.
There have been multiple scenes, before and during the ending of certain games, where it shows that the Power Suit adds about an inch or two of height. In Other M, it shows Samus basically slipping it on like a glove, doesn't seem to make her THAT much taller, but then again, she's about as tall as the soldiers in the beginning of the game, then is shorter than Adam right before he makes his "sacrifice." During the end of Super Metroid the Power Suit adds almost no extra height. Jump to 3:16 to see he Power Suit deactivate and you'll see what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wlu5Mx-9wwU Whether she's taking it off or putting it on, there are definite examples, here's another one:

If anyone could find other examples then that would be great.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
So with today's pic. It looks like her visor and the green lights on her suit have changed to blue. Has she obtained the ability to switch beams now?

on the subject of her height, Other M's artistic license really screwed her over and took nearly a foot of height off of Samus. she's supposed to be over six feet out of the suit and around the same within it.

on the subject of today's picture- Sakurai states that "if it's just a missile" it can be parried or destroyed by an opponent. do you guys think this means that Super Missiles can't be parried anymore?

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
Where does it say that she's over six feet outside of the suit? And that nearly 200 pound weight just doesn't seem like it'd be possible for a woman outside of that suit, even if she were incredibly muscular for a woman. IIRC, even men a few inches shorter than that height struggle to get to that weight and not be fat depending on the size of their frame.

And besides, character dimensions like height get changed all the time. Look at Peach recently who has been made shorter in Smash 4 in relation to Mario and seems to be shorter in 3D World.

Realistically, I think Samus, outside of her suit, is 5'10 to 6' and 140-150 pounds.

LiteTheIronMan

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LiteTheIronMan
Where does it say that she's over six feet outside of the suit? And that nearly 200 pound weight just doesn't seem like it'd be possible for a woman outside of that suit, even if she were incredibly muscular for a woman. IIRC, even men a few inches shorter than that height struggle to get to that weight and not be fat depending on the size of their frame.

And besides, character dimensions like height get changed all the time. Look at Peach recently who has been made shorter in Smash 4 in relation to Mario and seems to be shorter in 3D World.

Realistically, I think Samus, outside of her suit, is 5'10 to 6' and 140-150 pounds.

from Metroid Wikia:

Samus Aran is a Human. She is 6 feet 3 inches tall and weighs 198 pounds, without her armor. Despite this tremendous weight her body is very slender and narrow.
you've got to keep in mind that her genome is infused with Chozo DNA. it would explain her heavy weight and height.

Cheezey Bites

Slime Knight
NNID
koske1
3DS FC
4356-0097-9129
It should also be noted she's in a setting where one can freely travel between worlds of differing gravitational constants. One's height and muscle/bone density is highly dependent on whether she grew up on a planet with higher or lower gravity than that of earth; and for how long at each stage.

If K-2L had a stronger gravity then her bone density would likely be higher (as that's where she spent the very beginning of her life), while Zebe's mass is commonly believed to be a typo and thus it's lighter than earth, with lesser gravity in her growth spurt allowing her to grow very tall.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
It's also worth noting that it's a video game.

@ Kuma - The lights change colors both in Smash and in Metroid itself (specifically Other M, being green/yellow normally, red when at critical health, and purple when using the Gravity Feature). IIRC, the Gravity, Fusion and pink Varia Suit alts all gave blue lights/visors. Not saying that's the case in this game, but it would be odd having alts all stick to the same visor/light colors just for "effect" changes. If they wanted to integrate different beam settings, the smartest way to go would be to physically change her Arm Cannon ala Prime, where each beam changes both the texture and length/width of the barrel. Other M abandoned this because the beams all stacked, so you couldn't turn off specific beams.

Hoboman5000

Smash Cadet
I think it'd be pretty cool if they kept all of her old moves from the previous games but with other physics because of the new game, it'd also be pretty cool to see what her combo capability is like compared to the other games.

SKM_NeoN

Smash Journeyman
Love the shoulder ball things. All in all though her design in general is a huge step backwards. I am disappoint.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I very much hope ZSS doesn't keep her absolutely pointless and fetishistic high-heels. There's no reason in hell a suit made to be a back-up for if her Varia Suit malfunctions would have high heels. Who's she trying to attract? Space Pirates? High heels aren't even hot. It's the closest thing the West has to foot binding.

Anyway, while I'm sad to see her Prime design go (such boring shoulder pads these days), I'm glad to see she's sped up some, and that she's getting buffs that she sorely needs. I very much hope that she continues to draw on the entire series and not just the abortion that was Other M, as her design would suggest (Sakurai even had to bring up one of her idiotic meltdowns of all things...). I would very much like to see a little more variety in her attacks, even if they were only visual. Give her beam moves various visual effects instead of just fire; one attack could have an ice visual, another, an electric effect, maybe even a sweet, neon-green Nova Beam effect on one of her attacks.

I was also hoping that her Charge Shot would finally look like something out of Metroid rather than Megaman (especially since he's actually on board this time), but to that end I've been sorely disappointed. Oh well. Here's hoping Samus is a powerful, dangerous character to match her status as the galaxy's greatest Bounty Hunter.

Top Bottom