• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus assistance!

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Hello all! Ive finally got around to making an account here. After lurking for so long reading tips, viewing Chozox, Kayjay and so many of you other amazing players i felt its time to throw caution to the wind and have to guys Rate/Critique my games from a tournament last night. If you would be so kind that is. Ill never get past certain quirks and ticks if i dont have you guys view my stuff....so here it is!....be gentle!

[URL]http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=3h17m55s[/URL] Samus (Hark) vs Luigi (Dexley)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=3h45m51s Samus (Hark) vs Mario (Wizdorf)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=4h12m40s Samus (Hark) vs Peach (Thug)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=4h22m00s Samus (Hark) vs Luigi (Dexley) Rematch!

Before i finish ill just leave a few notes
-Came in 4th! Feels good...but i want to show them Low Tier is nothing to snuff at!
-Dexley (Luigi) is the 2 time champ (Last month and last night)
- ~70 people was a lot of fun
-You may notice a few random/out of place FSmashes...they were supposed to be me dashing but my Left hand is Heavy and right hand is quick so i screw up a number of times and look like a fool >_>.

Other than that please tell me anything you got! I can use all the advice i can get!

My current goal is to get the whole Smash/Dash screw ups fixed.

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
Well before I watch any of them, if you want to avoid doing Smash attacks instead of dash attacks, you simply have to input dash then c stick down

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Well before I watch any of them, if you want to avoid doing Smash attacks instead of dash attacks, you simply have to input dash then c stick down
Well damn...glad i did post here if i didnt even know that. Just that alone is a nice start, Just gotta make sure it becomes 2nd nature now.

Xygonn

Smash Ace
NNID
xygonn
There's some good stuff in there. Overall you play a solid Samus. You mix fast fall with bombs well as movement options to get back on stage. You space pretty well and use zair pretty well including eating Luigi's fireball and hitting luigi at the same time. That's an important little bit of that matchup.

In terms of being critical (but seriously very good play): I would look to roll a little bit less, you get punished a few times with it. Short hop air dodge is a strong option for Samus. Make sure you really know the distance on Samus' grab, you were whiffing on it by just a little bit several times, but you were appropriately pretty sparing with it. Don't blow your charge shot at low percents when you have combo options. Charge shot is 25% damage, but that's basically the same as two uairs or two fairs. Save the CS to keep better psychological advantage and just take the fair or uair instead. Pummel whenever you land a grab, at least once to refresh your stale queue a bit. It's always safe for Samus because her pummel is so fast. Two at 50% and three at 100% are safe too. I know you panicked on that SD vs. mario, but Samus has a wall hop ;)

Reydiance

Smash Rookie
NNID
reydiance
There's some good stuff in there. Overall you play a solid Samus. You mix fast fall with bombs well as movement options to get back on stage. You space pretty well and use zair pretty well including eating Luigi's fireball and hitting luigi at the same time. That's an important little bit of that matchup.

In terms of being critical (but seriously very good play): I would look to roll a little bit less, you get punished a few times with it. Short hop air dodge is a strong option for Samus. Make sure you really know the distance on Samus' grab, you were whiffing on it by just a little bit several times, but you were appropriately pretty sparing with it. Don't blow your charge shot at low percents when you have combo options. Charge shot is 25% damage, but that's basically the same as two uairs or two fairs. Save the CS to keep better psychological advantage and just take the fair or uair instead. Pummel whenever you land a grab, at least once to refresh your stale queue a bit. It's always safe for Samus because her pummel is so fast. Two at 50% and three at 100% are safe too. I know you panicked on that SD vs. mario, but Samus has a wall hop ;)
You can't wall jump on Kalos League if I remember correctly..otherwise these are great suggestions and I would recommend them as well.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Thanks you guys! I'll be sitting in training mode tonight to try and grasp the exact range on her grab better along with the dashing+cstick.

I will definitely hold onto the CS more. I do spend a lot of time constantly charging it where i could be applying more pressure with other things and making the CS REALLY get into their heads.

ChoZoX

Smash Cadet
NNID
ChoZoX
I know a few of those f-smashes were unintended, but you still ended up using it a lot. F-smash should rarely be used. It has no hitbox and terrible ending lag. There are better options. At 03:52:29, ff uair can usually interrupt these chain of attacks. As Xygonn said, never roll with Samus. Short hop air dodge is superior.

That 0-to-death was beautiful.

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Thanks for the reply Chozox! Ill deff follow the advice Xygon and you said about SH AD from now on. Should it mostly be used as pure escape or is the occasional Bair and FF Uair out from it fine? Or maybe just depends on situation/opponent.

I'll also make sure to stray away from FSmash. Time to burnmore tilts into my habits.

The 0-death on Luigi is probably the best moment I had in smash so far...the whole place just dropped their jaws...I'll prob never do it again but it felt awesome :-D

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
Nice! Very important basic tip looking at your matches vs. Luigi in particular: Throw out an aerial to get out of tumble animation, particularly when high and away from the opponent. I suggest up-air. If you're in tumble, your z-air will not come out and a good opponent knows you've limited yourself.

SH AD replaces all rolls, it's both offensive and defensive positioning. N-air and b-air out of it lead to true combos, particularly if your jump in is deep. You can cancel the air-dodge at any point into z-air, covering many incoming projectiles and your own bad spacing/timing. There's almost no point to roll as Samus.

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Thanks DM, that is awesome info...gives me a good deal more for my approaches..i feel like if i can get this down ill be a lot harder to read and if people are being pressured by Samus...they will be confused as shes not typically known for it. You guys are awesome thanks for all the info and tips...im really excited now.

PS just read the Bomb Uses topic for "Dirty Bombs"....I LOVE IT. Cannot wait to add that to my arsenal as well!

E.Lopez

Smash Journeyman
NNID
roykoopa64
I know a few of those f-smashes were unintended, but you still ended up using it a lot. F-smash should rarely be used. It has no hitbox and terrible ending lag. There are better options. At 03:52:29, ff uair can usually interrupt these chain of attacks. As Xygonn said, never roll with Samus. Short hop air dodge is superior.

That 0-to-death was beautiful.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but what does it mean that f-smash has no hitbox?

Afro Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
Afro_Smash
3DS FC
2938-6360-9529
He just means it has a really bad blind spot and will whiff often vs characters standing right in front of you

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Hello all! Ive finally got around to making an account here. After lurking for so long reading tips, viewing Chozox, Kayjay and so many of you other amazing players i felt its time to throw caution to the wind and have to guys Rate/Critique my games from a tournament last night. If you would be so kind that is. Ill never get past certain quirks and ticks if i dont have you guys view my stuff....so here it is!....be gentle!

http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=3h17m55s Samus (Hark) vs Luigi (Dexley)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=3h45m51s Samus (Hark) vs Mario (Wizdorf)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=4h12m40s Samus (Hark) vs Peach (Thug)
http://www.twitch.tv/viktion/b/654948278?t=4h22m00s Samus (Hark) vs Luigi (Dexley) Rematch!

Before i finish ill just leave a few notes
-Came in 4th! Feels good...but i want to show them Low Tier is nothing to snuff at!
-Dexley (Luigi) is the 2 time champ (Last month and last night)
- ~70 people was a lot of fun
-You may notice a few random/out of place FSmashes...they were supposed to be me dashing but my Left hand is Heavy and right hand is quick so i screw up a number of times and look like a fool >_>.

Other than that please tell me anything you got! I can use all the advice i can get!

My current goal is to get the whole Smash/Dash screw ups fixed.
This is the freakin' reason I dont give up on her. TY so much QQ

Also, I honestly can't believe you made it that far with such awful roll habit and not knowing about FF uair x[ You might have won!

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
This is the freakin' reason I dont give up on her. TY so much QQ

Also, I honestly can't believe you made it that far with such awful roll habit and not knowing about FF uair x[ You might have won!
Shes my favorite character...i love super powered suits Iron Man, Isaac Clarke, Samus etc but ill never give up on her. My biggest problem is i never really practice...i just do a little research...see some vids and try to adopt it into my style. Now that im actually looking to get better and do some research im hoping to improve.

Faced a Sheik last night and FF Uair saved me a few times. Still trying to get rid of all rolls now....retreating Nairs are awesome.

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
Shes my favorite character...i love super powered suits Iron Man, Isaac Clarke, Samus etc but ill never give up on her. My biggest problem is i never really practice...i just do a little research...see some vids and try to adopt it into my style. Now that im actually looking to get better and do some research im hoping to improve.

Faced a Sheik last night and FF Uair saved me a few times. Still trying to get rid of all rolls now....retreating Nairs are awesome.
ChozoX is clearly a god, but removing all rolls isn't completely practical, especially if you are near the edge of the stage / platform (you will jump off most likely). Also, sometimes use roll as a mindgame, especially if nobody is wanting to approach, can roll back and forth. Or sometimes I will roll intentionally to condition opponent, then not roll that direction (or shad) and punish his whiffed punish.

Also, it's a much more technical move, especially OOS, so in clutch moments I will fall back onto a roll simply because I can put it in faster. Given that most people I've fought severely underestimate Samus' roll distance, and if you are using SHAD most of the game, they are less likely to get off an optimal punish the one or two times you actually do use it, especially if its in a direction where you can't ZAIR the opponent.

Just my observations in my experience of (my current level of) practical smashing.

Also, you talented to do so well without much practice!

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
You're totally right its all about mind games reads and playing smart....I however get impatient and think "I can get in before the smash!!" And then get creamed lol

Fluidityt

Smash Apprentice
NNID
cronot7
You're totally right its all about mind games reads and playing smart....I however get impatient and think "I can get in before the smash!!" And then get creamed lol
Haha, yeah, but watching your videos, it's painfully obvious some of the times when and and where you are going to roll. If you had SHAD a couple of those times, could maybe have nailed with a zair and lived on :D At least by doing some SHADs, even if not most rolls, you are putting the fear of zair into them, so even if you do roll they will still hesitate before attempting a punish, because they know that you are either going to roll or SHAD (or maybe something else!)

This is how Falcon's and Pit's can win by saving forward B until the very end of the game, taking players by surprise because they either forgot about the move, or didn't think they were going to use it. I've experimented with this myself, getting a 90% charge shot at beginning of round (so it doesnt blink) then saving it for a final kill move, when they are likely not going to shield / dodge (but otherwise would have if blinking or had consistent use)

Obviously not a good idea for any serious match, just an example

Last edited:

Hark17ball

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Talos21
3DS FC
0662-5845-1699
Haha, yeah, but watching your videos, it's painfully obvious some of the times when and and where you are going to roll. If you had SHAD a couple of those times, could maybe have nailed with a zair and lived on :D At least by doing some SHADs, even if not most rolls, you are putting the fear of zair into them, so even if you do roll they will still hesitate before attempting a punish, because they know that you are either going to roll or SHAD (or maybe something else!)

This is how Falcon's and Pit's can win by saving forward B until the very end of the game, taking players by surprise because they either forgot about the move, or didn't think they were going to use it. I've experimented with this myself, getting a 90% charge shot at beginning of round (so it doesnt blink) then saving it for a final kill move, when they are likely not going to shield / dodge (but otherwise would have if blinking or had consistent use)

Obviously not a good idea for any serious match, just an example
Thanks man, all the different opinions and tips are giving me a ton to reflect on. You guys are an awesome crowd. Slowly but surely ill advance. Ill have my brother and some buddies over soon and play hopefully save them and post them here for you guys to see if im on the right track. One friend plays a real good Mac/Fox. My brother has a good Sonic/Falco. (Brother came in 9th where i came 4th). Im excited to get more info!

Top Bottom