• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Samus and Shiek Match Ups *Help!

Support.

Call Me Supa Hot!
So I have the worst trouble with these match ups.

Does anyone have any advice with these.

steakhouse

Smash Apprentice
(since no one answered yet this is good info)

passive shield stops most of samus' charge shot and missles which is something people greatly underuse. i don't personally know any good samus' so i can't help you a lot here. Using upthrow combos early on sounds like a good idea because of how floaty she is. I'd revert to f-throw at higher percents. Abuse backair and nair, as fair will always get beaten by samus' super fast air game. Also these moves' trajectories should place Samus perfectly for a agt'd up-B followup

sheik -- hypercamp until she gets hit, then combo hard, its a bit straightforward. If you get grabbed, you're in for a bad time if your reaction time isn't on-point, the mixups are ****ing real between dthrow and backthrow and both can combo into fair if poorly DI'd. You should mainly focus on not getting grabbed, rest is managable.

Last edited:

G13_Flux

Smash Lord
my friend is a pretty good samus player. zair is actually a really good tool to get through her missiles. since it also only has 10 frames of landing lag, its relatively safe. the goal here is to get samus in the air. her nair is one of the most annoying things ever for comboers, but luckily you have plenty of disjoint and three projectiles that combo. between bairs, nairs, uairs, and your projectiles, you shouldnt have a problem keeping her in your juggles. you just need to be careful to space your aerials, espcially things like fair, in order to try and avoid things like nair, dair, and bombs. you will definitely need to respect her airspace up close because of those things, but if you can bait her into doing one of those moves, she is relatively committed to it for awhile, and you can punish it easily. to get the kill, an up b is the only thing you are likely to combo into out of throws, but you can use your projectiles to set up for fairs and dairs. dont expect to combo zero to death though. youre going to have to be very patient with your follow ups and makes some reads on her actions in the air in order to get your hits. just keep chuggin out projectiles to cover her options and take the hits when youre sure of them. additionally, your attacks are very safe on her shield. cross ups will wreck any chance of an OOS nair or up b being effective, and you can also space your attacks relatively decently in front of her in order to stay out of range of those anyways. alternate between dashing away, continuing your jab sequences, and putting in dtilts even to try and poke and pop her up in the air. this will keep her guessing if youre going to be baiting out and OOS option or trying to drain her shield.

for recovery, mix up your AGTs, tethers, and up bs to avoid rockets and nairs. you have lots of good options over other characters to try and edge guard her, as your projectiles can cover tons of angles, and you can drop bombs to help cover the tether options. the back hit of nair is also great if she tethers too close, as a bair can be DIed up to live easily, whereas nair has a better angle.

overall i think that MU is in tinks favor, since he honestly out projectiles her and can cut out her airspace quite nicely.

the shiek MU will need patience in neutral, but i dont have too much experience with her with tink so i cant offer too much there.

Isnt

Smash Rookie
I main Tink while my friend (and main opponent) plays a mean Sheik. What I usually do is keep zone wall going. Approach with short hop arrows, or short hop z's. Mix and match. I've found that sometimes I can short hop z, into a grounded z for a grab. (May be a 3.5 thing?) I usually distance myself by short hopping backwards, using boomerang in his direction but angled downward. Usually used when he approaches with a dash attack. Once you connect with any projectile you can go in with Tinks (kindof) strong combo game. Rinse and repeat. But seriously if you use your projectiles to their fullest, they can be your strongest approaching devices. Even used to 'Link' a combo together. Or keep on going.

Since sheik is pretty good at pushing people off the stage. You will have to mix and match your options of getting back. So you don't just get slapped into the void again trying to return. My favorite is Air Dodging upward while pressing A (shortly after you press dodge) to use your tether to the ledge. I just think it lets you recover from safer angles than bomb jumping and regular up b's do. You can even jump up from the ledge using an air z to gain space for people camping you.

ALWAYS keep your boomerang out and about. It's saved me from so many potentially deadly grabs.

Oh and I place bombs on the ground for funsies. Sometimes they come in handy.

DethM

Smash Apprentice
Patience against Shiek. Bombs are especially good there.
Basically just zone her out with projectiles and ****. Requires a lot of patience.

Zair is pretty good against Samus. Stops her dumb missiles.
Wait for her to make a mistake and punish her, as you actually don't have as much trouble killing her as most do.
Don't be afraid to fight her offstage.

Patience is key to both matchups.

Top Bottom