• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Salamence Help

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Ok so I am playing Emerald right now and I want a Salamence with the following moves (I have beaten the elite 4):

-Dragon Dance
-Earthquake
-Aerial Ace/HP Flying
-Dragon Claw

HOWEVER, I have already used the Aerial Ace and Earthquake TMs on other pokes, so I need to rely on breeding for the first 3 moves.

I tried teaching Seviper earthquake thru breeding and then breeding it with an altaria (for dragon dance), but the resulting swablu didnt have earthquake... Im guessing because Swablu can't have it at all.

If anything I just need dragon dance and earthquake thru breeding and I'll just settle for HP Flying. Is there ANY breeding chain I can use to accomplish this moveset? Help appreciated.

EDIT:

So I just thought of a possible solution.

Raise swellow to have aerial ace
breed with altaria for swablu with aerial ace
Raise for dragon dance
Breed with bagon

And then for earthquake I can find it using pick-up. But that takes a lvl 100 pokemon right? I think I can use the cloning glitch to have infinite rare candies and raise a linoone for that.... am I mistaken about how that works?

I still would like any other possible solutions however.

ss118

Smash Master
Does Bagon learn Aerial Ace?
If he doesn't, that might put a damper on the whole thing.....
Then good luck with Hidden Power :/

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I just checked and Bagon can indeed learn Aerial Ace.. thank goodness. I hear breeding for the right HP attack can be a pain...

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
I checked a few sources, and they say that Bagon can't learn EARTHQUAKE...maybe I missed something?
You can get Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw with any of the following chains:

Swablu (Dragon Dance - Evolve) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Seadra (Dragon Dance - Lv.62) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Magikarp (Dragon Dance - Evolve) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Kingdra (Dragon Dance - Lv.62) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Horsea (Dragon Dance - Lv.50) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Gyarados (Dragon Dance - Lv.50) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon
Altaria (Dragon Dance - Lv.40) > Bagon (Dragon Claw - Lv.49) > Charmander > Bagon

For example (#1): Evolve Swablu to get Dragon Dance, then breed with it with Bagon. Level that Bagon to get Dragon Claw and breed it with Charmander. Use that Charmander which should now have both moves to breed with Bagon for a baby Bagon with Dragon Dance and Dragon Claw.
That downside this is that they all involve you getting multiple Bagons before getting the one you want.

I used MetalKid's offline pokédex to calculate these chains. edit: Oh, and it couldn't find a chain for it to learn AERIAL ACE with the other two, sorry. If I knew which pokémon you used the TM on, then maybe...

Wii4Mii 99

Smash Lord
I checked a few sources, and they say that Bagon can't learn EARTHQUAKE...maybe I missed something?
He can get an Earthquake TM from Pickup and teach it to Salamence.

Until wii meet again,
Wii4Mii 99

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
I think I'll just have to use Pickup to get earthquake. What's the fastest way to do this?

Thanks for your help!

PS. Is there a downside to waiting for a poke to evolve? In this case, I want bagon to learn dragon claw before evolving it. Will its stats suffer if I do this rather than evolving it right away?

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't really matter when you evolve it, it'll still have the same stats as if you evolved it earlier. All depends on its EV and IV points. To boost EV points, just fight. Depending on what pokémon you defeat, you'll gain a few EV points (if I remember correctly, Poliwag is worth 3 Strength EVs), and for every four EVs, your pokémon will gain one extra status point when it levels up. So the only way to no longer be able to EV train is when your pokémon is at lvl100 (although, you might be able to use vitamins, like HP Up, depending on how many EVs it has for that stat and total).

There's a more in-depth and understandable explaination for it...somewhere (could probably check GameFAQs)

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Ok... so does it or doesn't it matter? I guess I could level it using rare candies to get dragon claw and then breed it to a new one and raise that one normally.

I know about EVs, but what are IV's?

Jolts_D

Smash Apprentice
It doesn't matter. Stats are calculated at every level or evolution. Only the base stats, IVs, Natures, and EVs affect stats (base stats, IVs, and Natures can't be modified; base stats never fluxuate between different pokémon of the same species, IVs and Natures are generated when you encounter the pokémon and are permanently set to its value if caught). Vitamins (HP Up) boost EVs up to 100EV per stat, but the total EVs of all stats can't breach the 511 cap (in other words, if you boost HP, ATTACK, DEFENSE, SPECIAL ATTACK, and SPECIAL DEFENSE to 100 each, then SPEED can only go up to 11).
So if you evolve to Salamence, then level it to 70 with EVs of 50 each, it'll have the same stats as if you level Bagon to 69, evolve to Shellgon, then level Shellgon to 70 and evolve to Salamence with the same EV points, assuming that they also have the same IVs and Natures, which influence stats as well.
To really max out on stats, you have to carefully get the right nature, raise it by fighting the right creatures, and be lucky with the IVs (since you can't see them without some sort of cheat or utility).

http://www.pokemonpalace.net
http://www.serebii.net/index2.shtml

Those places might be able to help with all the technical stuff. I never really looked around, so I'm not sure where they'd be, but I do know that the second one (serebii.net) shows all the base stat maximums for each pokémon when you look at the bottom of their entries.

Forgot to mention that each vitamin will boost its respective EV by 10 points each use (again, up to 100 each, 511 total). If you went over 100 (511 total) on your own (by fighting), then the vitamin will be useless.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Hey, thanks for the help. I actually learned about EVs recently and raised a pretty good metagross with custom EVs.

I knew you needed to have the right IVs for determining Hidden Power values, but I didnt know you needed some sort of device to figure them out...

As far as evolving or waiting, it would seem that it doesn't matter, but to be safe I'll evolve normally.

D

Deleted member

it does not matter when you evolve it. i bred a sneasal and leveled it to learn iceshard, but it still has 383(max) speed as a weavile.

by the way, just level one zigzagoon to level 91-100 and clone it six times. then go battle random pokemon in the wild grass. every few battles, check to see if zigzagoons are holding anything. what i like to do, however, is ev train with macho brace, while having 5 zizagoons in your party

Top Bottom