• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai's Interview on How Characters Are Chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

bksbestbwoy

Smash Lord
NNID
AzureJay89
3DS FC
4828-5479-7054
Switch FC
2162-7423-7143
My goodness, there's a lot of anger here.

To those of you who didn't get your most wanted character...maybe next time, yes? *sigh*
I'll speak for myself and say I'm not mad, just curious because if a poll exists we need to find it. lol

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
LancerStaff said:
Only playable Fairy type in Smash.
Like that had anything to do with her inclusion in Smash 4, she doesn't use any fairy-type moves, and all her alt. moves are just weird variations of her already existing specials.

Anyways, concerning what Sakurai said, I call bull. It's obvious he just adds whoever he wants, fanbases for characters barely factors into his process of choosing playable characters.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
That interview was chopped full of contradictions. Many here will and already have brought up reasons, more like excuses, to explain why things are the way they are, but you can only bypass so much. Maybe it's Sakurai's quote of "The greatest character roster ever" but some choices made just rub me wrong in all sorts of ways.

The bottom line for me is, ultimately, Sakurai just has too much power over the roster decisions. This has worked fine in the past (heck, in Melee he sacrificed Dedede for the sake of a bigger character selection), but now things have gotten highly questionable. I'm not saying other people should have a hand in picking either, but the fact that Sakurai's humbleness regarding his own franchises (in this case one he didn't even initially create) is completely gone is making me rather concerned.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff is an original veteran. They will always stay.

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I will say that clones are definitely excluded from this because they were never intended to be on the roster until Sakurai felt they had some extra time to do it, which he has provided evidence with Lucina's case and the Melee clones.

Also where the **** are these "surveys" that he talks about? I have not seen a public survey that said it'll decide the game's roster except for Melee (which was Japan only) and Brawl (which, afaik, was also Japan only). International my ass.

Last edited:

Naoshi

wow this is a custom title
I'm guessing a private poll? No idea, did we ever find Brawl's poll for that matter?

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
I think by "poll" he means "my staff perused various communities, looked at what games and characters were popular and took informal polls."

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
The only polls I know of are these:

But these aren't Smash polls.

Last edited:

MechaWave

Smash Champion
I'm guessing a private poll? No idea, did we ever find Brawl's poll for that matter?
Yeah, there's a very old thread (from like 2006?) that has the poll results from Brawl but idk it anymore.

The only polls I know of are these:

But these aren't Smash polls.
These aren't for Smash tho, it's just a general popularity poll.

RamOne

Mr. Blue Sky
NNID
Mr.Baron
3DS FC
3926-5004-2681
These aren't for Smash tho, it's just a general popularity poll.
I know. That's what I said. Doesn't make it less interesting to note all Nintendo-characters on these polls are in the game in any form.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
With no Fairy moves at all.
Like that had anything to do with her inclusion in Smash 4, she doesn't use any fairy-type moves, and all her alt. moves are just weird variations of her already existing specials.

Anyways, concerning what Sakurai said, I call bull. It's obvious he just adds whoever he wants, fanbases for characters barely factors into his process of choosing playable characters.
'ey, you guys are going around saying that she doesn't have any justification when she does.

And I'll say it again, it's not about fanbases. It's about the overall opinion of the character, fans and non-fans.

the8thark

Smash Lord
My thoughts on this- it's a load of garbage.
Sakurai picks the characters based on who he wants to see in the game. That's it. There are so many contradictions with what he's saying that it isn't even worth listing them all.

He can make all the excuses he wants as to why certain characters were included and others weren't. It doesn't change the fact that Dark Pit is playable and Lucas, Wolf, Mewtwo, Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut.
Add in Snake and Roy who are cut and what you say is totally correct.

Sakurai only puts characters that Sakurai wants into Smash 4. What anyone else says or thinks has zero effect on this. Sakurai can bull**** to us as much as he wants, but we all see right through it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Add in Snake and Roy who are cut and what you say is totally correct.

Sakurai only puts characters that Sakurai wants into Smash 4. What anyone else says or thinks has zero effect on this. Sakurai can bull**** to us as much as he wants, but we all see right through it.
Should I say it again?

the8thark

Smash Lord
And I'll say it again, it's not about fanbases. It's about the overall opinion of the character, fans and non-fans.
Wrong. Only Sakurai's opinion matters here. He chooses, and what anyone else thinks has no effect on Sakurai's choices.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I'll just assume that this is the most Western friendly Smash in history since we have Dunk Hunt and Mac, but no Lucas. But in all seriousness, I think he was cut due to avoiding fighters of "region exclusive" origin. Other than that, Sakurai's answers seem pretty reasonable and explains nearly 70% of the roster.

Naoshi

Wrong. Only Sakurai's opinion matters here. He chooses, and what anyone else thinks has no effect on Sakurai's choices.
While that's mostly true, Sakurai pretty much admitted Mega Man got in due to the high demand. So some fan input did influence his decisions.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Prove it. Prove to me Ridley or K. Rool have any semblance of popularity outside of their fanbase. Then we can talk. Otherwise you're just goin' "lolno sakuir is biased cause I say so." Give me evidence.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
While that's mostly true, Sakurai pretty much admitted Mega Man got in due to the high demand. So some fan input did influence his decisions.
Sonic too. He just doesn't take every fan opinion into account.

Last edited:

Naoshi

Sonic too. He just doesn't take every fan opinion into account.
Very true, I won't deny that. And I'm kind of glad he doesn't as controversial as that may sound! I prefer the roster to look more professional than some fan pipe dreams.

the8thark

Smash Lord
Prove it. Prove to me Ridley or K. Rool have any semblance of popularity outside of their fanbase. Then we can talk. Otherwise you're just goin' "lolno sakuir is biased cause I say so." Give me evidence.
Can you prove Sakurai is not biased? And secondly I agree with you as they are good reasons as to why Ridley and K.Rool should not be in Smash. But it does not matter how popular or not popular those characters or any other character is. It's all Sakurai's choice.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Very true, I won't deny that. And I'm kind of glad he doesn't as controversial as that may sound! I prefer the roster to look more professional than some fan pipe dreams.
In fact, I think many may forget that he has to listen to some companies. Are we sure it's his decision to keep Jigglypuff? I mean, he wanted to replace Ness in Melee but his own crew said "nope" when he asked. She could be a Gamefreak thing. Obviously third party has two criteria; Them allowing it and him being able to properly make a moveset. He can't just "do it", he has to be able to on both ends.

In fact, let's look at Mewtwo for a moment; Ever since the movie it was in ended, same with Origins, when's the last time it got promoted? Lucario still is, in Pokken. In fact, Mewtwo may only show up due to one of its Mega Evolutions in that game, if lucky. Advertising could be an issue. Or Mewtwo was created so badly that Gamefreak considers it low priority over the others. There's a lot we don't know about. We do know Sakurai considered Mewtwo, but not necessarily planned to have it in. If his inability to port Melee data over properly is an indication, he thought about it, tried to do it faster, but that meant giving it high priority over the rest of the huge cast, he probably dropped the Pokemon till finish the rest of the game. I think it has a good chance of being DLC and he may be working on it as we speak. We knew it has to be made from scratch now.

Snagrio

Shiny Lord
NNID
WingedFish64
3DS FC
4081-5821-0404
The relevancy issue is, hate it or not, more prevalent now then in any previous Smash game to date. Sakurai himself spelled that out.

Over half the newcomer roster is, in some way or another, there for some marketable reason (this is really driven home by the "find out more about them in X game" taglines), be it new characters from new IPs, new characters from well-established IPs, or established characters from IPs that are still getting new titles on a recent-enough basis. Some like Duck Hunt get a pass because obligatory retro card, but that's about it. At the very least, Westerners got thrown a single bone with Little Mac.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Is that Hatsune Miku I see there? Because if it is, I know my buddy @J04KlM could die a happy man if she was in smash.

I understand clones are exempt from the character-selection process in general, but that still doesn't excuse the general laziness surrounding their inclusion. Lucina just has different properties on her sword, and a single different taunt. Other than that she's just like Marth, just not as good. And don't get me started on Dark Pit. Just becuse it's extra content doesn't mean it's good content.
If you have time to include extra clones, at least try to make them more unique from the ones they're based on. The clones in Melee were more unique IMO.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Is that Hatsune Miku I see there? Because if it is, I know my buddy @J04KlM could die a happy man if she was in smash.

I understand clones are exempt from the character-selection process in general, but that still doesn't excuse the general laziness surrounding their inclusion. Lucina just has different properties on her sword, and a single different taunt. Other than that she's just like Marth, just not as good. And don't get me started on Dark Pit. Just becuse it's extra content doesn't mean it's good content.
If you have time to include extra clones, at least try to make them more unique from the ones they're based on. The clones in Melee were more unique IMO.
Then tons more time would be spent on balancing the new moves, just so you know.

Naoshi

Erm, that is not a Smash poll. It was only a popularity poll from a Nintendo magazine. Miku literally has no chance in Smash because she isn't exactly a video game character. She originated from an audio program, not a video game.

Crocovile

Smash Apprentice
Naoshi said:
Erm, that is not a Smash poll. It was only a popularity poll from a Nintendo magazine. Miku literally has no chance in Smash because she isn't exactly a video game character. She originated from an audio program, not a video game.
I know, was just sayin', that's all. I'm not the kind of person who expects char's like Goku or Naruto in Smash.

Raido

Smash Apprentice
They could've kept them as costumes and you would say "Wow, they put some afford into the costumes!". But as soon as they put extra work into them by giving them their own slot, they are lazy. Nice logic...

Last edited:

Marakatu

Smash Ace
And still she appeared in a poll in a Nintendo magazine. They count her as a videogame character.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Ok...whatever you say, Sakurai.
if you were telling the truth, I'd have my Mewtwo back.
Also, the Ridley fans wouldn't have been disappointed for the 3rd time. Just...whatever.

Meelow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Meelow
My thoughts on this- it's a load of garbage.
Sakurai picks the characters based on who he wants to see in the game. That's it. There are so many contradictions with what he's saying that it isn't even worth listing them all.

He can make all the excuses he wants as to why certain characters were included and others weren't. It doesn't change the fact that Dark Pit is playable and Lucas, Wolf, Mewtwo, Squirtle and Ivysaur were cut.
Well Squirtle, and Ivysaur probably got cut because Sakurai didn't think they could hold there own unlike Charizard.

It's possible Lucas, Wolf, and Mewtwo are DLC.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
I think there are arguments that can be made on both sides of this.
Agreed.
I'm confused why Alph wasn't promoted over Dark Pit since Pikmin didn't receive a newcomer. Seems fair to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom