• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Sakurai was too biased with Lucas.

Xigger

Smash Lord
Surely you've noticed how biased Sakurai was with Lucas and Ness? He made Lucas a medium all-around character, while making Ness "slightly heavier". That's exactly what Dr. Mario was. Of course Sakurai knows that nobody likes those clones.

His PK fire goes straight, his attacks come out faster, his PK Thunder won't be stopped by enemies and is easier to control and goes further, his PK Ice moves faster and farther, and he even has a grapple move. We don't see Ness using his Yo-Yo to recover, do we?

Asides from fighting, you can see the reference everywhere in the game. Try comparing the Ness and Lucas trophies. Ness's trophy has the shortest description out of all the trophies! (Unsure) And Sakurai even attempted to make New Pork City the new Hyrule Temple of Brawl.

Fun Fact: Sakurai helped develop Mother 3.

Smashbros_7

Smash Ace
ACK!

But you forget Doctor Mario is higher on the tier list than Mario. HA!
Ness has great air moves... You must master your Ness game!

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Lucas's attacks come out faster than Ness? Huh?

I like the idea of using the yoyo to recover. :)
Yoyo tether ftw...

GoForkUrself

Smash Apprentice
The fact that Lucas's stick is longer and faster at the expense of a slight bit of strength is ridiculous. Ness's grab game is superior to Lucas, so I still use Ness.

Hardcorenesser

Smash Journeyman
they both have their advantages so stop comparing them. Lucas is no better then Ness. Ness is no better then Lucas. it depends on the player. i have whooped countless Ness players with Lucas (on random wifi) and then when i played Simna i didnt even take out one of his lives. it just depends on the player. so NO MORE COMPARING THE TWO!!!!! THEY ARE TOO DIFFERENT TO BE COMPARED!!!!

Gill

Smash Journeyman
AND. AND.

You forgot to mention.

LUCAS' FS TROPHY HAS ONE MORE SHOOTING STAR THAN NESS'

OMFG

Circus

Rhymes with Jerkus
BRoomer
In Sakurai's defense...

Lucas is a much cooler character. >_>

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
In Sakurai's defense...

Lucas is a much cooler character. >_>
Maybe he was cool in Mother 3, but there's no denying that he's a wuss in Brawl. Give me a screen shot from brawl where Lucas is smiling at all.

Ness is also just as go-gettum as Lucas, but his game is older and didn't rely much on character development. He's a better designed character in the smash series, though, compared to Mother 2/Earthbound.

Earthbound360

Smash Hero
NNID
Mikman360
Its does seemed Biased. PSI magnet for Ness only has a bit more unnoticable range over Lucas. Everything else is better in LUcas' hands. It also seems like Ness' PK Thunder and Bat was SUPPOSED to be lesser than Lucas (PK Thuner isnt, but the stick is).

Also, they gave Lucas cooler animations. His jab is cooler, his PSI magnet looks cooler, his helpless animation is cooler, and so are his PK attack animations.

Fredd

Smash Apprentice
-Sigh-

The never-ending debate of Lucas vs. Ness.
Why do we, I mean you, care so much again?

fridayslobster

Smash Apprentice
Lol I agree that Lucas and Ness are two different characters. They come from the same series and have similar specials and jumps but thats about it. Most of their A-button attacks are way different and they each open up many different possibilities for each character.

MrPhox

Tamed Beast
NNID
Mr.Phox
3DS FC
0318-7803-7610
lucas down B acts as an attack and absorbs too.
it comes out faster and ends quicker.
it comes out in front, but it covers both sides actually.

ness' down b is worse in every category.

that just bothers me personally

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
Ness actually attacks faster for the most part, and PK Flash is infinitely better than PK Freeze.

And stop with this whole "ZOMG, TOO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS YOU CAN'T COMPARE THEM WAA WAA" because it's just idiotic. They are most certainly not too different to compare. If I can compare Marth and Captain Falcon and say that Marth is better, than Lucas and Ness can very well be compared as well, with the added benefit of them having conceptually similar B moves.

If anything, Sakurai made Lucas a more "glass cannon" character. His abilities are really good for fighting at range and he has moves that hit very hard but are difficult to pull off. Ness hits hard all around, but his KO moves are oddly placed and he has more options to escape from various situations that Lucas doesn't.

mNag

Smash Rookie
I like Ness's airgame more. His Fair is one of the best in the game. Lucas's FAIR is pretty much the same as Ness's BAIR, so those cancel each other out. I find myself using lucas's DAIR kind of like I would Ness's FAIR, but Ness's is far superior. Additionally, Ness's meteor smash is easier to use.

Lucas's Bair is ok... but getting a meteor smash out of it really comes down to luck with the lagtime and small & out-of-place hitbox.

As for the ground game, Ness has a better dash attack and grab. Otherwise the only thing Ness might have on Lucas when it comes to smashes is utility. The lagtime on Lucas's kill attacks like his Up and Down Smashes aren't as easy to use Ness's baseball bat and grabs.

My problem right now, is when I main one of those characters, I play the other character like I would play the one I'm maining. And they're different enough that they do require different strategies to be used effectively.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
I like Ness's airgame more. His Fair is one of the best in the game. Lucas's FAIR is pretty much the same as Ness's BAIR, so those cancel each other out. I find myself using lucas's DAIR kind of like I would Ness's FAIR, but Ness's is far superior. Additionally, Ness's meteor smash is easier to use.

Lucas's Bair is ok... but getting a meteor smash out of it really comes down to luck with the lagtime and small & out-of-place hitbox.

As for the ground game, Ness has a better dash attack and grab. Otherwise the only thing Ness might have on Lucas when it comes to smashes is utility. The lagtime on Lucas's kill attacks like his Up and Down Smashes aren't as easy to use Ness's baseball bat and grabs.

My problem right now, is when I main one of those characters, I play the other character like I would play the one I'm maining. And they're different enough that they do require different strategies to be used effectively.
I'm actually very disappointed with Ness's Fair. It's been nerfed hugely, hardly keeps the opponent in any more and does pathetic damage compared to how it was in Melee. I rarely use it instinctively like I did back then. In fact I hardly use it much any more because more often than not I just end up being punished because it has landing lag and practically no shield stun.

mNag

Smash Rookie
I'm actually very disappointed with Ness's Fair. It's been nerfed hugely, hardly keeps the opponent in any more and does pathetic damage compared to how it was in Melee. I rarely use it instinctively like I did back then. In fact I hardly use it much any more because more often than not I just end up being punished because it has landing lag and practically no shield stun.
The biggest nerf to Ness's FAIR was the removal of DJC. It's still a good aggressive move to push your opponent around and start combos. It's just not as easy to get going on an opponent that sticks to a ground game.

NESSBOUNDER

Smash Master
The biggest nerf to Ness's FAIR was the removal of DJC. It's still a good aggressive move to push your opponent around and start combos. It's just not as easy to get going on an opponent that sticks to a ground game.
Yeah, certainly.

Although it feels to me that the hitbox is slightly bigger, even though the move is less disjointed and doesn't capture as well. So it's certainly more of a defensive move now. In Melee it was truly a spark, but in Brawl it's more of a bubble.

PrinceLegend

Smash Rookie
ya i agree with half the people lucas is a **** but they are equal. Ness=offensive lucas=control. i prefer lucas but ima prolly give ness a shot soon

Trozz

Smash Ace
The only thing that really bothers me about Ness is his lousy recovery. Then again, Ness never really was renowned for being able to stay on the stage much.

Xigger

Smash Lord
The only thing that really bothers me about Ness is his lousy recovery. Then again, Ness never really was renowned for being able to stay on the stage much.
Lucas has a longer recovery than him, he can control it and shoot himself back faster, and you can't jump in front of Lucas's thunder and kill him like you can with Ness. That part bugs me the most.

BlueberrySyrup

Smash Lord
NNID
BlueberrySyrup
Maybe he was cool in Mother 3, but there's no denying that he's a wuss in Brawl. Give me a screen shot from brawl where Lucas is smiling at all.

Ness is also just as go-gettum as Lucas, but his game is older and didn't rely much on character development. He's a better designed character in the smash series, though, compared to Mother 2/Earthbound.

Stigmata

Smash Rookie
NNID
Thorizard10
3DS FC
3652-1600-9459
Regardless of who is better in neutral, I doubt Lucas will ever have a kill throw like Ness. Though I'd like if Ness had his Brawl dair back to make another case for his own value

Top Bottom